Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
instant pot pressure cooker >

instant pot pressure cooker

instant pot pressure cooker

Old 05-03-2015, 06:53 AM

Default instant pot pressure cooker

I just purchased a pressure cooker, was wondering if anyone has this cooker and can give me some tips on using it. Also any good recipe books out there, that might help. Thanking you in advance for your help , Michele
Old 05-03-2015, 11:40 AM

Sorry, we only use it for canning.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:24 PM

I have an electric pressure cooker that I use all the time. Anything you cook in a dutch over you can cook in your pressure cooker. Same with the slow cooker - it just cuts the cooking time to a fraction. I love it for cooking pot roast and chicken. For pot roast, I can seer the roast in my cooker, then add onions, seasoning and beef broth - cook it for what ever length based on the weight of the roast, when it is done, I add the potatoes and carrots close it back up cook it at high pressure for 3-5 minutes then all is done. Remove everything and then make the gravy in the same pot.

I bought Bob Warden's book, "Great Food Fast" and there are some great recipes. But I also found that I can use my regular recipes and just use their cooking chart for the length of time. I have done artichokes in it and they came out great. They sell pressure cookers on QVC all the time and show all different ways to use them. That was where I got the inspiration to get one. How big is your machine? Mine is 10 quart and so I use it to make several meals at one time. I have not tried any pasta in it, but I have used it to make white rice and it was great.

Check out Amazon for recipe books - they have several.

Have fun - it really does cut down the time it takes to cook.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 05-03-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

Question for all of you pressure cooker users-how do you get the fat off when you cook somethingg such as a roast - and want to eat it right then? I normally make things ahead and put them in the frig for the fat to harden. I've never had much good luck with skimming when warm. Would appreciate some helpful hints!
Old 05-03-2015, 07:49 PM

In dept store,you can buy a fat separator. You pour the liquid into it,and a spout comings off the bottom lets you pour off the good stuff...leaving fat behind.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:00 PM

For me I trim most of the fat off before it cooks. When I do chicken I usually just do the parts because that is what I buy unless there is a good sale on whole chickens - and those I do on my rotisserie. If there is fat floating I use a paper towel or two and lift off as much as I can. If I am saving the broth for some reason then I refrigerate it and remove it before using the broth. If I am using hamburger we use the extremely low fat version - 93% or 95% and then I don't worry about it. It has been so long since I have made a meat loaf - with the extra low fat content the meat has so little flavor I just don't bother. I would rather eat less of something than eat something that has little or no flavor.

You don't have to use the left over drippings from the meat for gravy - I like to put my roast on a rack (mine came with a rack that fits inside) but you could use a steamer rack. I like it because it cooks a bit more even (or so I tell myself).
Old 05-04-2015, 02:33 AM

Tell me more about this pressure cooker for canning, brand name, size, can it be used on a flat top range or does it sit on the counter, etc. I have looked at the Pro XL but have seen mixed reviews on it so am needing more information. Thanks a bunch.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:04 AM
Power Poster

I had one in the 70s. I switched to a Crock pot.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:24 AM

This site has some great tips and recipes: http://www.hippressurecooking.com.
I have a Fagor multi-cooker and love it. I think the rule of thumb is you can pressure cook most foods in about one third of the normal time in a pressure cooker.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:31 AM

Stitchnripper, If you add a few ice cubes to the pot the fat will congeal on the cubes and you lift them out. Won't dilute your broth by much.