Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Potato Salad recipe

Blog Entries

Looking for Potato Salad recipe

Not too long ago there was a post on how one quilter "doctored" store bought potato salad - I thought I saved it but, can't find it. Can anyone help??
    May your bobbins always be full and may your stash be never ending.

I always add chopped onion, more mayonnaise, mustard and relish, I always taste and adjust the salt, celery seed and black pepper. Hope this helps.
    Aronel aka Lee

Blog Entries
    Adding some chopped, hard boiled egg also helps!
    Sue

three parts mayo to one part sour cream, mustard, relish, celery seed, black pepper, salt, potatoes, eggs, celery, carrot, onion, radish if you have it on hand.
    Garnish top with paprika, sliced egg and radish slices.
    The sour cream really sets it apart from other potato salads, always get rave reviews when I take this to a party.

NOTE: lately when I make cold salads that need to keep I will salt the celery and onion, place in strainer and put a plate on top then weight the plate with a heavy can of unopened food and let set for a couple of hours, you will be amazed by how much water comes out. This will keep your salad from becoming water logged. Rinse celery and onion to remove salt and let drain for a few more minutes then add to salad. CUT BACK on the salt in your dressing, adjust to taste.
    Last edited by Steady Stiching; 11-11-2013 at 04:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    All of the above....and sometimes I add a touch of horseradish. Just a dot, not a lot. :-)
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Don't buy shop brought I make my own recipie below

Small potatoes ie salad or new when in season or any small potatoes will do (boiled until tender)
    1 small onion chopped
    Mayonnaise
    Chopped chives
    Salt and peper to taste
    Place potatoes when boiled into a bowl add onions and mayo (enough to cover )and mix,add chives and salt and peper to taste place in the fridge until ready

My family love it they can not get enough ,but they won't let it sit in the fridge I am lucky to get any when I make it,it never lasts long ,most of the time as soon as I make it ,they eat it

Suz
    I got so tired of the mayo/vinegar dressings so I made this one up. I use redskins. Skins on, chunked and boiled in salted water. Everything else is green: celery, spring onions tops and white, chives, peppers, and dill weed (can used dried). I add a little garlic (powder or fresh) to Hellman's and a little salt. Tastes good for a change. Green and white although you could use red bell peppers for added color.

Blog Entries
    I make very, very different potato salad, but almost everyone who has ever tried it loves it. I peel, cook and then dice potatoes - usually Yukon Golds. Then I dice celery, carrots, red onion, green and red, yellow and/or orange peppers. I roughly chop black and green olives and mix all of the chopped veggies and olives with the potatoes. I make a dressing out of 1/2 mayo, 1/2 greek yogurt, 3-4 Tbs mustard, about 1/4 cup sugar (to taste) and a bit of milk to thin it out slightly. Mix the dressing in and let sit refrigerated for a few hours before serving. I normally add sliced, hard boiled egg to the top and sprinkle paprika and pepper on before serving.
    The true joy in life is the trip!!!

Blog Entries
    And I've added broccoli and cauliflower that's been steam crisped with shredded carrots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
    three parts mayo to one part sour cream, mustard, relish, celery seed, black pepper, salt, potatoes, eggs, celery, carrot, onion, radish if you have it on hand.
    Garnish top with paprika, sliced egg and radish slices.
    The sour cream really sets it apart from other potato salads, always get rave reviews when I take this to a party.

NOTE: lately when I make cold salads that need to keep I will salt the celery and onion, place in strainer and put a plate on top then weight the plate with a heavy can of unopened food and let set for a couple of hours, you will be amazed by how much water comes out. This will keep your salad from becoming water logged. Rinse celery and onion to remove salt and let drain for a few more minutes then add to salad. CUT BACK on the salt in your dressing, adjust to taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post

Thanks for this step....last two batches of homemade p/s turned into potato salad soup overnite.......never happened before.....now think I know why.....will try this extra step w/next batch!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast