Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Problem with english toffee??? >

Problem with english toffee???

Problem with english toffee???

Old 12-18-2013, 01:37 PM

Default Problem with english toffee???

It was so expensive to make and I had these problems. I cooked the toffee part to soft crack then I poured it over some chopped pecans. In the mean time i melted two pounds of milk chocolate and wait just a little bit ( ten or fifteen minutes) then I pour the chocolate for the toffee and spread nice and put more chopped pecans on and kind of pressed them in the chocolate. Let the pan cool outside and later tried to break all up. Well the chocolate separates from the toffee. What a mess, it tastes all right but when you take a piece you have to take a piece of each. What do you think caused this? The recipe was very vague.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

I cook mine to hard crack stage.....just short of burned. I use butter (not margarine) If there is visible oil from the butter I have problems with the chocolate not sticking. Trial and error is all I can suggest....to many ruined batches would send me to the candy store to buy some....lol
Old 12-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

I haven't made it. I use to make perfect peanut brittle. All of a sudden it didn't turn out right, so I stopped.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:43 PM

I pour the toffee out onto a baking sheet, let it set a minute, then scatter the chopped chocolate on top(or use chocolate chips). The heat of the toffee melts the chocolate. When its melted you spread it over the toffee and then sprinkle on the nuts. Press the nuts into the chocolate. It still comes off a little, but I figure it tastes so good who's going to complain.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

Wink

I love toffee and chocolate. You want me to come over and help you clean the mess? Hahahahaha!

Once you find the perfect recipe, please post it. It sounds yummy!
Old 12-18-2013, 03:17 PM

I haven't made it in years ...but I sure do love it...too much!!
Old 12-18-2013, 05:02 PM

I made some a few days ago, I let it cook to about 290-300 degrees. I put foil on my counter with chopped pecans one it, I poured the toffee over and immediately put chocolate chips on top, when they were glossy I spread the chocolate around, turned our perfect, for the first time I made it..
Old 12-18-2013, 05:04 PM

My recipe calls for it to be "hard crack" stage... or it will be like taffy not toffee -- use a candy thermometer, not the string/water test

Add your nuts to the toffee in the pan RIGHT before you pour it into the pan...if you put them in too soon, they get mushy.

Butter (or spray with non stick spray) the pan you are going to pour your toffee into -- I use a jelly roll type pan.

As soon as you pour your toffee, sprinkle the chocolate chips on the toffee...let it set for about 30 seconds and then gently spread the chocolate chips over the toffee.

Sprinkle your nuts over the chocolate chips you just spread out. The chocolate has to still be very warm or the nuts won't stick.

Unless you are making a "HUGE" amount of toffee, 2 pounds of chocolate is way too much.

1 cup oleo
1 Tablespoon corn syrup
1 1/3 cup white sugar
3 Tablespoon water
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup sliced almonds or pecans
1/2 cup sliced almonds or pecans

In a heavy saucepan that has been sprayed with non stick spray, melt oleo then add sugar and stir well. Add corn syrup and water.

Stir often with wooden spoon to keep mixture from scorching.

Cook over medium heat until candy thermometer reads 300 or hard crack stage.

Remove from heat and add 1/3 cup nuts and mix well.

Be extremely careful and pour the mixture into prepared pan. Using wooden spoon spread the toffee out to the thickness you want (think thin)

Sprinkle chips over toffee, let set a minute to soften and spread chips -- sprinkle remainder of nuts over chocolate chips.

Let set until cool and break into pieces.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:41 PM

I did use butter. I made it along time ago and it was perfect. Who knows.
Originally Posted by erstan947 View Post
I cook mine to hard crack stage.....just short of burned. I use butter (not margarine) If there is visible oil from the butter I have problems with the chocolate not sticking. Trial and error is all I can suggest....to many ruined batches would send me to the candy store to buy some....lol
Old 12-19-2013, 01:20 PM

Did you check your thermometer to check to see if it registers 212 degrees when water boils. Makes a big difference on how the candy turns out