Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Sodium Main Dishes

Low Sodium Main Dishes

Does anyone have any main dish meals that are low sodium and really tasty. My husband has been put on a 2000mg sodium diet. I was amazed that bottled salad dressing alone has 325 mg in 2 Tablespoons, That's over 1/2 of the sodium he's supposed to have for 1 meal.

Blog Entries
    Try no salt spices/seasonings in place of salt. Most salt is in food you buy,so cooking more yourself will help.Adding a small amount at the table is best. I have used Lite Salt for yrs. Costs more,but it tastes good....it's the only salt In the house.
    Pat C

I use Mrs. Dash a lot and I use no salt in my cooking. I'm just really surprised that everything I never even considered has salt. I have frozen bread dough in the freezer and I believe it said it has 100 mg in one slice. One egg has 160mg. If you eat an egg sandwich you're up to your limit in sodium for that meal. My husband just had a pacemaker installed so that's what started all this.

I'll echo what has already been said ... pre-prepared foods by nature are high in sodium.
    So that means any processed foods ... bags, boxes, bottles ... that require little or no work on your part!

Store bought dressings yes ... high.
    It really does not take much work to make your own, and once you start doing that you will soon discover how tasty it is, even with the low sodium ... and before long, will not want the store bought.

That goes for a lot of foods.

Sodiums are a preservative, which is why many of our prepared foods have such a long shelf life. For example, a cup of corn flakes has more sodium than a cup of salted peanuts!

The other consideration in your cooking is to choose ingredients that will add flavour. Favourites of mine are herbs/spices, fresh garlic and onions.

Going low sodium does not mean you have to sacrifice taste.
    Though when I have had low sodium prepared foods ... they sure have.
    And it just convinces me all the more why I make more of my own foods!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't use many processed foods. I'm making meat loaf tonight and I like a BBQ sauce on it. After thinking about it the tomato sauce is high salt and I hate low salt. It has no taste at all. The Worcestershire sauce is high salt. How do I make low sodium meat loaf. I have found some good frozen things, There's a steam in the bag rice that has veggies in it and no salt. I made my own salad dressing last night and it was oil, vinegar, pepper and Dijon mustard. That was good but I like a variety. Any good low salt recipe sites.

I use salt sense, it is a finer salt. about half the size of a grain of salt. it is not a salt substitute. This is good to use at the table since people are used to salting extra. They get less salt this way. Now there is one that is iodized. Recommended by the doctor.

Stay away from processed foods, and cook with fresh food and you will already be low sodium eating. Then use only minimal seasonings. I use mostly pepper, and herbs/spices, and I use sea salt but use very little.

Thanks so much. I'll check them out.

Blog Entries
    OMG I looked at ONLY mock pork sausage and want to make it...it looks great. I've been trying to watch my salt intake for quite awhile now....always happy to find new ways to eat better. Thank you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast