Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
nightshade vegetables >

nightshade vegetables

nightshade vegetables

Old 02-14-2016, 06:46 AM

I'm sure not everyone responds to the same foods the same way. I have not eliminated anything but have either a teaspoon of raw honey or a handful of dark cherries every day (Costco has frozen) and have noticed a great improvement to my general, osteoarthritis. Both foods are said to reduce inflammation and, heck, I enjoy these foods anyway. My hands feel so much better allowing me to sew quite a bit.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

I love baked sweet potatoes like you would bake an ordinary white potato. I just sub with sweet potatoes. If you want to eliminate the sour cream and butter just squeeze a little lemon and dress with broccoli and cauliflower. The lemon also eliminates the use of salt.
Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
Thank you. Good to know I can eat sweet potato. Life is better already. I usually eat my potato in stews, mashed & fries. Cauliflower is a no go. My stomach can only tolerate a little. Of course I can do rice. Will try the carrots & parsnips. Just tried mashed carrot & turnip. I'm surprised to say I really liked it. I hear you on the peppers. Of course I have several frozen pkgs. of homemade spag. sauce in my freezer. I really hate to toss.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:36 AM

I'm with you Jan as I love, love spuds in any form and eat lots of them as they have more protassiam than bananas I hear. And as to tomatoes and peppers I use them in most any soups I make during the winter time and of course have to have my salsa at least once a week. I usually pick up a tub of cherry tomatoes and leave them on the kitchen counter and pick one up to eat as I walk by from time to time. Love my tomatoes. Guess I'll have to decide which I love more.....spuds and tomatoes or no arthritis.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:54 PM

I have never heard of the term nightshade veggies.......we just whatever veggies we want, and thinking now, there really are none that I haven't cooked, served, some being just one time others become favorites.
I have never investigated the "good from the bad"......
some cultures because of their origins have been sustained by only certain kinds of veggies/meat.....
Old 02-15-2016, 06:57 PM

Well Friday was my first day. My friend took me to Subway for lunch. I did OK. Had a bacon & egg only sand. DH made fish & chips for dinner, no good. Saturday did good. Sunday DH asked for homemade stew. I ask you is there any point in picking out the potato. LOL.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:01 PM

Guess my next trip I'll try the cherries. To my knowledge I've never eaten raw honey. Sounds like something I'd rather not try.
Originally Posted by sprice View Post
I'm sure not everyone responds to the same foods the same way. I have not eliminated anything but have either a teaspoon of raw honey or a handful of dark cherries every day (Costco has frozen) and have noticed a great improvement to my general, osteoarthritis. Both foods are said to reduce inflammation and, heck, I enjoy these foods anyway. My hands feel so much better allowing me to sew quite a bit.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

Raw honey is what I buy local. My uncle use to have beehives and raw honey right from the hive is far superior to the processed honey sold in the stores. We grew up knowing babies couldn't have the honey or anyone 'sickly'. A fluffy homemade biscuit with butter and pure honey is what I had almost every day after school at my grandmother's house. I make them for my grands now.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I'm with you Jan as I love, love spuds in any form and eat lots of them as they have more protassiam than bananas I hear. And as to tomatoes and peppers I use them in most any soups I make during the winter time and of course have to have my salsa at least once a week. I usually pick up a tub of cherry tomatoes and leave them on the kitchen counter and pick one up to eat as I walk by from time to time. Love my tomatoes. Guess I'll have to decide which I love more.....spuds and tomatoes or no arthritis.
i think my response has always been moderation is the key. Now I notice that if I make veggie soup(tomato juice, tomato purée, tomato bits) I can't eat it 3 days in a row. Chili is the same way. But I can enjoy a cup of it. My hubbie would eat potatoes 7 times a week & sometimes does so abandoning them is out of the question. I try to add a veggie that he wouldn't eat to replace my potato serving. Not hard since he is a green beans, peas, corn kinda guy. Ok broccoli if it is mixed in something or cooked to mush! The potatoes in stew can be balanced with more carrots for me. I'm not giving up my tomatoes or my potatoes but I am modifying how & when I eat them. I'm choosing my battles better. Happy eating to live, not living to eat!
Old 02-21-2016, 02:36 PM

I gave up potatoes about 6 years ago. Whenever I'd eat them my nose would run and I'd get hives around my eyes. Found out by accident about a year ago that it's all nightshades. How I found out? I found a new favorite lunch- babaganoush (roasted egg plant dip) and I dipped it with red peppers and cherry tomatoes. I ate it everyday for at least a week. It was that good. But my allergic reaction caused allergy "shiners" and made my face look like I'd been beat up. So, no more night shades for me. I have healed my gut quite a bit now so I can usually eat tomatoes and peppers without the reaction. But, I'm afraid of the eggplant. Potatoes haven't been a part of my life in forever anyway, so I'm ok with that. In place of fried potatoes for breakfast I fry turnips or daikon radishes. They're both really good with some free range eggs and uncared bacon. Yum! Today I mashed turnips like potatoes (steamed not boiled) with ghee and garlic and salt & pepper. So potato-ey tasting!!!
Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
I want to try to eliminate nightshade veg. in my diet. Supposed to help arthritis. What do I replace potato with. Don't mind just eliminating tom. or peppers. Don't eat eggplant. Any other foods to eliminate.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:26 PM

I have to be very careful of tomatoes, spicy food, etc, because of gerds. I make chili without tomatoes or tomato sauce adding just a little spice for taste but not heat. We only eat potatoes on rare occasions, same with broccoli and cauliflower. I am also allergic to shell fish so all in all I have to give up most of my favorite foods. It is annoying, I suffer too much but I have had to learn to work with my issues and DH's diabetes when choosing our foods.