Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
nightshade vegetables >

nightshade vegetables

nightshade vegetables

Old 02-12-2016, 06:47 PM

Default nightshade vegetables

I want to try to eliminate nightshade veg. in my diet. Supposed to help arthritis. What do I replace potato with. Don't mind just eliminating tom. or peppers. Don't eat eggplant. Any other foods to eliminate.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:41 PM

you can try Jicama for potato salad, I don't think I even miss potatoes it has been so long since I've had any. I eat lots of squash and other veggies. Try something new each week, you will be surprised at what you will like.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:44 PM
Power Poster

There are recipes to use cauliflower instead of potatoes for mashing.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:53 PM

How do you usually eat potatoes?

Mashed - use mashed cauliflower, rice, mashed carrots and parsnips
Roasted - Yams, sweet potatoes, squash.
Fried - Yams, sweet potatoes

Or you can just eliminate spuds and substitutes from your diet.

You can top Shepherds Pie with other mashed veg or lentils.

Be careful of peppers, they are in many spice blends. Thai food, Indian Food, Mediterranean food, Mexican Food, BBQ, Hungarian Goulash etc.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:51 PM

Thank you. Good to know I can eat sweet potato. Life is better already. I usually eat my potato in stews, mashed & fries. Cauliflower is a no go. My stomach can only tolerate a little. Of course I can do rice. Will try the carrots & parsnips. Just tried mashed carrot & turnip. I'm surprised to say I really liked it. I hear you on the peppers. Of course I have several frozen pkgs. of homemade spag. sauce in my freezer. I really hate to toss.
Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
How do you usually eat potatoes?

Mashed - use mashed cauliflower, rice, mashed carrots and parsnips
Roasted - Yams, sweet potatoes, squash.
Fried - Yams, sweet potatoes

Or you can just eliminate spuds and substitutes from your diet.

You can top Shepherds Pie with other mashed veg or lentils.

Be careful of peppers, they are in many spice blends. Thai food, Indian Food, Mediterranean food, Mexican Food, BBQ, Hungarian Goulash etc.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:53 AM

My husband has been off nightshade veggies for several years. It really does help with arthritis pain
Old 02-13-2016, 07:57 AM

Thanks for the reminder about these nightshade veggies. I don't eat spuds unless we go to Five Guys! Then just a few. I have had to eat fewer tomatoes due to kidney stones, so that works with the arthritis, too.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:16 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I have terrible arthritis everywhere.
I absolutely adore and crave tomatoes and baked potatoes, eat peppers cooked a lot, too.
I swear I don't know which would hurt worse -- giving up those things or the pain!!

Best of luck to you on this journey, I admire you for doing it.

Jan in VA
Old 02-14-2016, 05:15 AM

It's a real puzzle when you try to do this as our culture has embraced the nightshade family over and over. There are reverbrations about the brassicas as well, broccoli, brussels sprouts, etc. To me that leaves the rose family. Peaches, nectarines, plums cherries, and I guess you could throw in apples. I have the biggest list of do not eat that I've ever had, I am blood type B and I'm not supposed to eat pork, chicken, bread, and now have hereditary hemochromatosis and can't have red meat, (beef) either. Also supposed to watch dairy. That leaves eggs and fresh air. Just ate my eggs and will not go out and get my fresh air. Good Luck. Marcia

If I were you I'd look to giving up grains to help the arthritis.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:25 AM

The best thing we did was to go organic and eat no GMOs. We eat grass fed beef, no processed food of any kind, no dairy as its bad for my husbands decreased kidney function, and no wheat. We both feel a lot better. DH has been taken off 2 blood pressure pills and has lost over 60 pounds in the past year. I only take my thyroid pill, have no GERD, feel better than I have in a very long time. I can tell when I eat something with wheat in it. My wrist and knee will hurt like crazy, I get gas and constipated. The best thing is we no longer go out to eat, so we are saving a huge chunk of money. It's taken awhile to develop this lifestyle change, and that's what it is, but is worth it.