Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Do You Reuse Your Canning Lids? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/do-you-reuse-your-canning-lids-t198587.html)

butterfly48 08-25-2012 10:22 AM

I always use new lids, wouldn't even try to use old lids would be afraid they would not seal and I would be out all that work for nothing. I have filled close to 300 jars this summer.I'm going to eat this winter.

Sandra in Minnesota 08-25-2012 11:31 AM

Always use new lids. It isn't worth the risk using new ones. The rings I use until they are hard to remove, then out they go!

CindyA 08-25-2012 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by butterfly48 (Post 5466911)
I always use new lids, wouldn't even try to use old lids would be afraid they would not seal and I would be out all that work for nothing. I have filled close to 300 jars this summer.I'm going to eat this winter.

Wow!! Would love to see pics and know what all you canned.

TanyaL 08-25-2012 05:27 PM

Always used only NEW lids.

HMK 08-25-2012 05:32 PM

Always use new lids since using old previously used lid is creating a good place for botulism and other stuff. Too dangerous.

NanaCsews2 08-25-2012 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by LoisM (Post 5466831)
Great idea about storing a cut onion! Thanks!

I have been storing cut up onions in a sealed glass jar for years. Never a smell in the refrigerator. Cut up the onion after purchasing or bringing up from storage and put in the fridge. Shake out as needed. Quick and easy fresh onions in a flash. Remember to scrub the lid and jar very well before putting in a fresh onion. Any used jar with a lid will work, but I would never re-use a flat lid from canning. Mother taught us that more than 40 years ago. Those used lids can dry out and become cracked. Once sealed on the jars, the rubber is flattened, which can cause air to leak into the jars.

Cyn 08-25-2012 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jo M (Post 5466810)
I always use new lids and reuse the rings when canning.

I do use the old lids to store things like rice, dried beans, etc. I find that storing 1/2 an onion in a short wide-mouth jar in the fridge works really well. No smell and it lasts a lot longer too. (Chopped doesn't last as long)

Thanks for info re: onion. I'm going to try it!

May in Jersey 08-25-2012 06:44 PM

I only make jam but I reuse the rings if they are in good shop, not bent or rusty but always use a new flat round piece that goes inside of the ring. That's the sealer for the jar and I wouldn't take a change on it not sealing properly, they aren't very expensive anyway.

tesspug 08-25-2012 10:34 PM

My mother was a California Master Food Preservationist. Please QB members, DO NOT reuse the flat lids of canning jars. Even if they look perfectly fine, the seal is broken and will not reseal. You are taking a deadly risk.

Sassylass 08-26-2012 02:44 AM

I always use new lids too. I reuse the rings and jars .Better to be safe than sorry.