Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   need packet cake recipes for cakes and slices please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/need-packet-cake-recipes-cakes-slices-please-t185854.html)

Anna from Oz 04-12-2012 05:47 PM

need packet cake recipes for cakes and slices please

Hello Everyone,
I have baked for over 48 years and didn't buy packet cake mixes, baked everything from scratch.
Recently I came across a Christmas cake using a packet carrot cake mix, tried it with much suspicion, it is delicious. Then on here I saw an apple sauce cake made from a cake mix, thank you, baked that today.

Do any of you have any other cake or slice recipes that can be made using the packet cake mix as a base?
I have googled but haven't found much. These would be a good idea to quickly make when I only have a couple of hours notice of visitors coming.
Thank you Anna from Oz

irishrose 04-12-2012 06:29 PM

A box of cake mix, 3 eggs, 1/3 cup oil and a can of pie filling.
Triple Fudge w/cherry pie filling and walnuts (did that one today in a bundt pan with fudge frosting)
Spice w/ apple 9x13
Caramel w/ apple 9x13 - These two need cooked brown sugar frosting - wonderfully good
German Chocolate w/apple - Made that first 43 years ago - very good
White w/ cherry filling and nothing else in a 9x13. Serve with Cool Whip - very pretty and surprisingly moist

You get the idea. I did have to add a little extra liquid today, but usually don't. BTW, I never use canned frosting. Cake mixes, yes, but canned frosting tastes as bad as it smells to me.

Hemlock Tea 04-12-2012 06:33 PM

Try here: http://www.cakemixdoctor.com/recipes/

Hemlock Tea 04-12-2012 06:35 PM

Oh, also there are root beer cakes, etc., that are made with cake mix and whatever flavor of soda you want (lemon lime, cola, etc.). I don't know the recipes, but you can just google root beer cake, cola cake, etc.

PurplePassion 04-12-2012 09:58 PM

Dump cakes.

pls1946 04-13-2012 12:47 AM

I have a cookbook of all Chocolate cakes made with mixes from the Cake Mix Doctor , Anne Byrn and one from Duncan Hines that has various cakes all starting with mixes.....both are excellent!

Moonglow 04-13-2012 02:54 AM

Apple & cinnamon slice

340g pkt golden buttercake mix (or similar)
1 cup desiccated coconut
125g butter, melted (4ozs)
400g can apple pieces (14/15 ozs)
1 1/4 cups sour cream
1 tsp cinnamon sugar

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F). Grease an 20cm (8") square cake pan. Line base and the two oposite sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm (2") over edge of pan.
Combine cake mix, coconut and butter in a medium bowl. Press mixture evenly over base of prepared pan. Cook for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool slightly.
Sread apple evenly over base, then spread sour cream evenly over apple and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Cook for a further 20 minutes, or until sour cream is set.
Cool in pan. When cooled remove from pan and cut the slice into fingers to serve.
Enjoy.

nannya54 04-13-2012 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5136700)
A box of cake mix, 3 eggs, 1/3 cup oil and a can of pie filling.
Triple Fudge w/cherry pie filling and walnuts (did that one today in a bundt pan with fudge frosting)
Spice w/ apple 9x13
Caramel w/ apple 9x13 - These two need cooked brown sugar frosting - wonderfully good
German Chocolate w/apple - Made that first 43 years ago - very good
White w/ cherry filling and nothing else in a 9x13. Serve with Cool Whip - very pretty and surprisingly moist

You get the idea. I did have to add a little extra liquid today, but usually don't. BTW, I never use canned frosting. Cake mixes, yes, but canned frosting tastes as bad as it smells to me.

How about white cake with lemon. Tried that recently and it was a nice mild lemon cake. Wouldn't a white cake with blueberries, white frosting, and raspberries be cute for 4th of July?

mltquilt 04-13-2012 04:57 AM

Check out the manufacturer's websites, Duncan Hines, Pillsbury, etc. They have recipes that use their cake mixes. I made a chocolate one this week for church that also had Eagle Brand Milk and cream of coconut with a cool whip topping, coconut and then a little toasted coconut to add color. It was a hit. The recipe came from a blog called Inside Brew Crew Life.

mltquilt

Elainequilts 04-13-2012 05:07 AM

WOW Thanks for the Cake Dr site. Leave it to someone younger to help out us seniors.