Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recipe for low-fat cornbread

Recipe for low-fat cornbread

Does anyone have a low-fat cornbread recipe?

Blog Entries
    I only use self rising flour, cornbead mix, egg and buttermilk. Spray the pan with pam (I use olive oil). I use 1 cup cornmeal mix to 3/4 cup SR flour. Is that what you mean? I never add oil/fat to my cornbread.
    TwandasMom

Blog Entries
    I don't even put flour in my cornbread. If I want cake, I'll make cake. Since there is only 2 of us at home now. I use about a cup of self rising cornmeal (Martha White), I ususlly don't even measure. I add 1 small egg or just the egg white if they are large eggs and enought low fat buttermilk to mix it up good. Most of the time, I don't even bake it in the oven. I have a small skillet, about 6 inch round, and I get it hot on the top burner and add about a tablespoon of canola oil and pour in my mix. I then turn down the heat to about 2 1/2 and put a lid on the skillet. Let it cook about 8 or 10 minutes and it will usually be firm enough to flip over with a hamburger turner. Let it cook another 5 to 8 minutes or until browned. It can't get much better and doesn't heat up the kitchen with the oven.

Blog Entries
    You do know that cornbread mix has flour in it?
    TwandasMom

Ooooh, I love cornbread! If you want a real treat, add a dollop of sour cream, to your cornmeal (when mixing). Mmmmmmmmmmm!!!!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    Yes, I've done that when I ran out of buttermilk.
    TwandasMom

I do the same, Sassy Granny, except I use a non-stick omelet pan. My great grandmother used this kind of pan(w/o the nonstick coating, of course.) Tastes good with no oil. Sometimes I use some nonfat dry milk in mine, instead of the buttermilk for even less fat.

Oh, how I love corbbread. My family knows to never throw away any leftovers, no matter how small!
    Today is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it.

It is ironic that I just read this post. I bought a Paula Deen cast iron corn bread mold at a garage sale today and was looking for recipes for it. Do a Google search I found ones, but they were up to 300 calories each for cornbread sticks. This is way too much since we usually have corn bread with other items as part of a meal. Thanks for posting this site. When I get my pan seasoned and ready to go I think I will try this recipe first.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast