Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Red Beet 'chips'

Red Beet 'chips'

On my travels, at a small country store, looking for snacks on the road, I found Red Beet Chips. Well, snacking in the car isn't always the healthiest, so I decided to try these. Who would ever think..they were delishious!!!
    Now I have a dilemma!! I need more!!!
    Searching the net, I found recipes for deep frying & oven baked. Tryed a few..NONE were like 'chips'...
    Can anyone out there come to my rescue with a tryed & true recipe???

Power Poster
    I have never successfully cooked potato chips so I have no idea how to make beet chips. I can never get my potato slices thin enough even using my mandolin and they don't fry crisp enough without getting too dark.

Blog Entries
    Trick is to pat them dry between paper towels after slicing thin. If the mandolin isn't slicing thin enough you may need a sharper blade. I've purchased canned sliced beets and made chips out of those also. have baked and deep fried.

I love those red beet chips too! Hadn't thought about making my own....will have to look into it.
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

Ellageo, what you found might be the freeze dried method and we can't make them like that. I dried beet slices into chips and they are not good, so they get soaked in water and put in a smoothie. I found dried green beans and mixed veggies that are so crunchy and sooo good but we can't make either, freeze dried. Bummer!

You're probably right : (
    I tried a few 'internet' recipes, all not good. I was hoping someone did have success & pass it on. Oh well. I guess I'll get out of the kitchen & go quilt : )

Can you contact the store where you got them for advice?

they sound awesome

Dr. Oz had someone on the other day that made them in the Micro, maybe you can contact the Oz show to fine out what the mat was called.
    learn each and every day,memories or play.

I don't have a recipe but while on vacation in Nashville, I went in a Big Lots and found beet/sweet potato chips. They were awesome! It was a huge bag and lasted a long time in the RV.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast