Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Rutabaga-how do you fix them? >

Rutabaga-how do you fix them?

Rutabaga-how do you fix them?

Old 07-28-2015, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
I make mine the same way as Tartan, but I stir in some crisp bacon bits before serving. Since mine always come from the grocery store, I always peel them to get rid of the wax they are coated in.

Tartan - I'm with you on hitting the knife with a hammer! Sometimes, I'm lucky and my husband will split it for me.

Seems that the recent ones I've bought are not as strong tasting as those I remember when my Mom cooked them. Maybe my taste buds have "mellowed" over the years!

I cook mine in the microwave!
leave whole
place on paper towel
cook on high for 15 mins
then 5 min intervals
peel when cooked
it usually takes mine 20 mins , it's very tasty.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
Peel and boil them with white potatoes. Mash together.
I usually cut them up and eat them raw. Nice "nibbles" to have around. All my life I ate them in stew. But lately I have been cooking them like tranum does. Most people don't even know they are in there. Delicious with onion soup mix added.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:12 PM

Usually I cube it and cook it in the pressure cooker then mash. Sometimes I throw it into stews or soups or oven roast them. I've stopped trying to cut them in half when I prepare them. I make about a 3/4" slice off the top and root end. Then I turn it onto the cut end and make four 3/4" slices around the rutabaga to turn it into a cube. This makes it easy to slice the rest before cutting into cubes. No more pounding on the rutabaga and much safer.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:19 PM

I really like rutabegas! I usually cube them & add them to split pea soup.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:26 AM

Love turnip and cooked them in soups (beef barley) stews and just by themselves. Years ago we ate at a Mennonite restaurant and they grated them before cooking...she said they cook up faster that way. They didn't mash but served them that was with butter salt and pepper..........delicious!!
Old 07-29-2015, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

I can only get rutabegas coated in wax here. So I must peel them. I have never seen them at a farmers market and my soil has way too much clay for any root veggie to do well.

I will slice off both ends then use my knife to peel off the wax coating. I will then cube it up and boil in chicken stock (if I don't have stock, I add a boullion cube to the water). The chicken stock gives it some wonderful flavor and I save the cooking stock to use in soups.

I then dump the cooked bega in my food processor, add a pat of butter and some pepper (usually does not need salt due to the chicken stock). Turn the food processor on and while it is running I pour in some heavy cream. It is to die for. And no, it is not diet friendly but boy, it can't be beat. I serve with any kind of roasted meat but I especially like it this way with meatloaf.

And to me, beef stew is not beef stew without some chunked bega in it. I will have to try baking or roasting it. I bet it really brings out the natural sugars in it.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I use my large knife and tap it with my kitchen hammer to split it in half and then slice the halves. I then cube it, put it in a pot with water to cover and simmer until tender. I drain off the water, put it back on the stove until dry and use my potato masher to mash it. It is delicious but I would like to know how others prepare it?
I cut them up and put in a pressure cooker til tender. Add stick of butter and handful of chopped cooked bacon and mash them. If you have leftovers they will freeze well.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:30 AM

peel, cut into 2" size pieces, boil in salted water with dehydrated garlic chips, drain (Leave garlic chips in they will soften up) mash with butter and cream cheese, add a little milk, serve and enjoy!!
Old 07-29-2015, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

I wash them off with vinegar. Helps to remove some of the wax. Then put them in the oven like a baked potato for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees. then let them cool enough to handle them. Toss a little oil fry them up like fried potatoes and season. Have done the same with carrots. One night had a rutabaga, carrot and a sweet potato. put them into the oven at same time. Did the oil toss and fry. Nice change for side dish. Thing is you can do this ahead of time.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:57 AM

search ''Rutabaga recipes'' you will find all kinds of recipes- DIL loves rutabaga's -but the girls not so much. They eat them now. They just don't know it. But you can do this search for any ingredient. We are over flowing with Zukes and Cukes and the recipes for Zukes are out of this world delish. We're having a ball trying them all out. Who knew eating healthy was so much fun.