Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Spanish Bar Cake

I don't know if any of you remember, but way back, when I was young, the A&P carried a wonderful Spanish Bar Cake that they made in their bakeries. It was delicious!!!!!!!!!! Well, here is a recipe to make it ( or something very similiar). Let me know if you remember, or if you are familiar with this recipe.
    Jo Ann

SPANISH BAR CAKE
    For the bars:
    1 package (18.25) plain spice cake mix
    1/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
    3/4 teas ground cinnamon
    1/2 teas ground nutmeg
    1/4 teas ground cloves
    2 cups unsweetened applesauce
    2/3 cup vegetable oil
    4 large eggs
    3/4 cup raisins
    1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)

For the frosting
    4 oz reduced fat cream cheese, at room temperature
    1 tablespoon milk
    2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
    1 teas pure vanilla extract
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)

To make the bars:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place race in the center of the oven. Line with parchment paper a 15 x 10 jelly roll pan and set aside.
    2. Place the cake mix, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, applesauce, oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on low until the ingredients are incorporated, 30 seconds. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides with rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until batter is smooth, about 1 minute longer. Fold the raisins and 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, if using. Transfer batter to prepared baking pan, smoothing the top with the rubber spatula.
    3. Place pan in over and bake the bars until edges have set and the center is still a little soft. 25-30 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cool for about 35 minutes.

To makes the frosting:
    1. Place cream cheese in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on low until creamy, 1 minute.
    2. Stop the machine, add mix, sugar and vanilla. Continue beating on low until the ingredients come together. Increase the mixer speed to medium low and beat until the frosting is creamy and light, 30 seconds longer.
    3. Spread the frosting evenly on top of the cooled cake. Run the tines of a fork through the icing to make squiggles. Let the frosting set for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

Blog Entries
    I remember those!!! I loved them. But I bought them wrapped on the shelf like Hostess Cupcakes etc. not in the deli. Thanks so much for the recipe. I hope it tastes exactly the same (well, without all the preservatives maybe it'll taste even better).

SMR
    Remember those cakes. Can't wait to try your recipe.

tmw
    Quote Originally Posted by joivey
    I don't know if any of you remember, but way back, when I was young, the A&P carried a wonderful Spanish Bar Cake that they made in their bakeries. It was delicious!!!!!!!!!! Well, here is a recipe to make it ( or something very similiar). Let me know if you remember, or if you are familiar with this recipe.
    Jo Ann

SPANISH BAR CAKE
    For the bars:
    1 package (18.25) plain spice cake mix
    1/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
    3/4 teas ground cinnamon
    1/2 teas ground nutmeg
    1/4 teas ground cloves
    2 cups unsweetened applesauce
    2/3 cup vegetable oil
    4 large eggs
    3/4 cup raisins
    1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)

For the frosting
    4 oz reduced fat cream cheese, at room temperature
    1 tablespoon milk
    2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
    1 teas pure vanilla extract
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)

To make the bars:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place race in the center of the oven. Line with parchment paper a 15 x 10 jelly roll pan and set aside.
    2. Place the cake mix, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, applesauce, oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on low until the ingredients are incorporated, 30 seconds. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides with rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until batter is smooth, about 1 minute longer. Fold the raisins and 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, if using. Transfer batter to prepared baking pan, smoothing the top with the rubber spatula.
    3. Place pan in over and bake the bars until edges have set and the center is still a little soft. 25-30 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cool for about 35 minutes.

To makes the frosting:
    1. Place cream cheese in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on low until creamy, 1 minute.
    2. Stop the machine, add mix, sugar and vanilla. Continue beating on low until the ingredients come together. Increase the mixer speed to medium low and beat until the frosting is creamy and light, 30 seconds longer.
    3. Spread the frosting evenly on top of the cooled cake. Run the tines of a fork through the icing to make squiggles. Let the frosting set for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
    i'm from the east, so i remember this spanish bar , and everytime i go back , i try to find it, and nobody makes it, i will try and print off this recipe, thank-you.

Thank for the recipe. My husband will be so happy.

Blog Entries
    thanks for the recipe

Blog Entries
    Thank you so much for the recipe! i loved that cake and it is impossible to find. I may just make it for labor day as a surprise for my dear mom who loved that cake also!

Blog Entries
    I remember those cakes well. Now I will be able to make one, have not tasted one in years.

I remember those...they were delicious!!! Thank you so much for the recipe!

Hmmm, I remember the A & P, but don't remember the cake. Probably because my mother did all her own baking. But this sounds delicious and I'm in a fall mood, so will give it a try. Wish I had the cake mix in the house since I'll be stuck in tomorrow thanks to Irene! Oh well, another day!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast