Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Our 1st Spanish Quilt Show

Hi everyone. Just got back from doing my stint today at the quilt show.

We had loads of people come to our little village to see us which was totally amazing.

Good news and bad news..... BBad news first, my camera gave up the ghost and I havenīt got pictures for you. Izy had her camera today and she got the pics, so be patient and you will see it all soon when Izy gets back.

Also great news we raised lots of Euros for our Charity with the raffle for our quilt. Its going to a nearby childrens home and we raised more than 800 Euros. Considering the price of the tickets 1 Euro for 5 I think that was amazing.

The winner was indeed very worthy, her name is Joyce and her husband is John. I will tell you why. Last week her husband and a friend Mike were cycling in the mountains going downhill very fast when the Mikeīs front cycle wheel gives way, he goes over the top and to avoid him John veers off and lands very badly in a gully. He had 25 stitches to his face, broken 6th Vertebrae, broken arm and shoulder and also broken ribs. The other chap, Mike is very serious, he severed his spine and is paralysed from the neck down he has a tracheoctomy because he canīt breath and is still in intesive care. The problem is the insurance wonīt pay up.

When Joyce came to see us today at the Club she said if she won she would raffle it to raise money for their friend Mike. Imagine my delight when her name was called out and I shouted who it was as it was under the surname that none of the girls recognised.

So our Quilt did double whammy today and we are all so pleased that its going to such a good cause.

You have a treat in store when Izy puts her pics on, even I was stunned at how many quilts and other projects were there.

Elle

Elle

Hi Elle- congratulations on a job well done!!! As always, your group is an inspiration to the rest of us!! Glad it turned out so well. I am sure this will be the first of many quilt shows in your future :) :)

Thanks CathyM, Yes, we are already thinking about one in the Spring.

We opened a Visitors Book and the comments were so lovely, we were all thrilled that everyone enjoyed themselves.

One comment read, " My wife dragged me along to this show today, but how glad I am to have seen such talent, truly inspiraltional work".
    That was one of many

So nice.
    Elle

What a great story!!!!! But sorry to hear about the suffering!!!!
    Cant wait to see pictures!!!!!! Did you get lots of ooohs and aaaahs over your quilt? :D

Banned
    Congratulations on your show and your raffle.

Isnt it great to get all of those wonderful comments.. after all your hard work..

Good job!

Elle-Thanks for letting us know how the quilt show went. Really inspiring story about the raffle quilt. Cannot wait to see Izy's pics.

Wonderful Elle! Sounds like the show was a big success!! :thumbup: :D
    Sorry about Joyce's husband & friend, but it's good that the quilt can raise more money for them too. Our first Opportunity quilt was won by my Dad, and he gave it to my Aunt & Uncle so they could use it to raise money for Huntington's Disease research - and their first winner donated it back again too! I hope Joyce has good luck with hers too.

Congrats on the quilt show being a success.
    I'm sorry to hear about the accident with the guys and hope that they will both recover soon. So sorry about Mikes injuries, will have good thoughts and prayers for him and his family.

IZY!!!!!!! Hurry and get back here so we can see pictures!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mgshaw
    What a great story!!!!! But sorry to hear about the suffering!!!!
    Cant wait to see pictures!!!!!! Did you get lots of ooohs and aaaahs over your quilt? :D
    Yes everyone was in total awe, I think they thought it was just going to be a little mundane. Especially the guys several of them kept going round and looking at the quilts, one kept saying I keep seeing something different in those quilts I didnīt see before. Ha, as I usually say they were gob smacked LOL

Someone actually wanted to buy my Rosewood Cottage, but I said it was for my daughter.

Helen the lady with the silk embroidery sold one of hers.

We also had 13 ladies wanting to join our group. Unfortunately when we have a lot of sewing machines going our electricity cuts out. such are the joys of Spain, there is only so much wattage to each building. So they are on a waiting list, unless of course they make cards or knit in which case there isnīt a prob. So it was great all round

Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments.

Elle

Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    I'm sorry to hear about the accident with the guys and hope that they will both recover soon. So sorry about Mikes injuries, will have good thoughts and prayers for him and his family.

Oooh Terri, you are in for some eye candy with Helenīs silk sewing. She had at least 12 pieces of work on show, perfection and more is all I can say. She sold one, I know it was a lot of money but donīt know how much she charges.

Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers.

John is now out of hospital and has his stitches out of his face, and a soft collar on his neck but is still poorly and hurting a lot. Will give you updates on Mike.

Elle

Ellie, that's awesome that the quilt show was such a success, that was a lot of hard work by all you ladies, bravo to all of you! And oh so sad about the fella that got injured, so glad the quilt will go to a good cause :) :) :)

Quote Originally Posted by Barb M
    Ellie, that's awesome that the quilt show was such a success, that was a lot of hard work by all you ladies, bravo to all of you! And oh so sad about the fella that got injured, so glad the quilt will go to a good cause :) :) :)
    Thanks Barb, It was quite amazing that so many people came, and we even had some lovely spanish ladies come to see our work (They are fairly shy unassuming people) so that was great. It was awesome even for me to walk into the room and see so many quilts, cross stitch, stumpwork, lace, silk embriodary, card making projects all come together, se had some awesome quilts to and one that won first place at the Harrongate Quilt Show in England.

We are all getting together to help Mike and try to get him back home to England to a spinal Unit called Stoke Mandeville, little groups are fund raising, its early days yet and they have a lawyer on their case.

Elle

Elle,

Glad to hear the show was so successful. And it is so perfect that the one's who need it most received a benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by CindyBee
    Elle,

Glad to hear the show was so successful. And it is so perfect that the one's who need it most received a benefit.
    Cindy, think that was the bet part of the show for me anyways as they are friends of mine.

Elle

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear that about your friend; but glad that the quilt will serve a dule perpoes.

I am so glad that you had a wonderful show. It will inspire your group for more. I am so sorry to hear about the two men that here hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    Thanks Barb, It was quite amazing that so many people came, and we even had some lovely spanish ladies come to see our work (They are fairly shy unassuming people) so that was great. It was awesome even for me to walk into the room and see so many quilts, cross stitch, stumpwork, lace, silk embriodary, card making projects all come together, se had some awesome quilts to and one that won first place at the Harrongate Quilt Show in England.

We are all getting together to help Mike and try to get him back home to England to a spinal Unit called Stoke Mandeville, little groups are fund raising, its early days yet and they have a lawyer on their case.

Elle

Okay I gotta ask, what the heck is stumpwork?!!!!!! :oops:

Hi Melissa, Ha ha, I didnīt know either so I had to ask because the lady who did it had not arrived and her work was not on show at the time.

Its a form of embroidery done by hand giving a 3īD effect, some of the petals on a flower are wired and handsewn over to create this so it stands away from the cloth. Its difficult to explain, but Izy has photos. hopefully it will show up what I mean. Its very beautiful and intricate.

Clear as mud ........yeh

Elle

Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi

Oooh Terri, you are in for some eye candy with Helenīs silk sewing. She had at least 12 pieces of work on show, perfection and more is all I can say. She sold one, I know it was a lot of money but donīt know how much she charges.

Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers.

John is now out of hospital and has his stitches out of his face, and a soft collar on his neck but is still poorly and hurting a lot. Will give you updates on Mike.

Elle
    I can't wait to see pics!!!
    Tell Helen to please adopt me so I can have ALL her stuff. lol

Terri said:

I can't wait to see pics!!!
    Tell Helen to please adopt me so I can have ALL her stuff. lol[/quote]

Consider it done.

Hi Melissa, Ha ha, I didnīt know either so I had to ask because the lady who did it had not arrived and her work was not on show at the time.

Its a form of embroidery done by hand giving a 3īD effect, some of the petals on a flower are wired and handsewn over to create this so it stands away from the cloth. Its difficult to explain, but Izy has photos. hopefully it will show up what I mean. Its very beautiful and intricate.

Clear as mud ........yeh

Elle

Okay!!! Sounds gorgeous! Cant wait for Izy and the pictures!!!!

Hi, I promised everyone updates on Mike the guy who severed his spine and I received this e-mail today from the lady who won the quilt, she is going to re raffle the quilt to get money for Mike.

""Hi Everyone,Just heard the news that Mike was airlifted yesterday to Leicester hospital. He couldn't go to Stoke Mandeville because they have no intensive care. They didn't want to wait any longer. It was 18000 pounds so we need to get moving with our fundraising. Will go to the bank today to see if we can open an account without Kay being here.Already a bar in Torre has offered a bingo/quiz evening and Tiffany's have offered to have an auction and the raffle will be drawn. Car boot will be last Sunday in Novemeber. If you can sell tickets or donate prizes please let me know. We're asking Kay now if we can go to the press as people need to know about this. Our Spanish teacher told us that the insurance company wouldn't pay out because it was an accident and he is now an invalid. She was told that no insurance company would pay for this. Only people who have full Social Security are covered in Spain."

I am so glad they have managed to get him back to England as he was staring at the cieling in Malaga Hospital as they were not geared up for spinal injuries.

We are all getting together which is one of the bonuses here in Spain, to get things to raffle and sell in aid of Mikeīs Air flight costs, yes it has cost 18,000 pounds, special plane with medics on board etc.

So that is a bit of positive news. Makes you think though this was just an ordernery bicyle trip in the mountains that went sadly wrong.

Elle