Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Thoughts On Eggin for Noggin... >

Thoughts On Eggin for Noggin...

Thoughts On Eggin for Noggin...

Old 12-21-2010, 06:32 AM

Hello everyone, I'm hoping your holiday season and the last minute "rush" is going well for you all. I'm pleased that I've finally gotten almost all of my sewing done (amongst other things I had to make a total of 35 stockings, whew sooooooo over it, LOL). So now in the days before XMAS I must wrap up a few things on my holiday menu and I was hoping that maybe you all could provide a tad bit of recipe inspiration (and please pardon the rant)....

Ever since I was little, I am a completely devoted lover of Egg-Nog (of course without the alcohol) :-D As an adult, I still adore it (and I usually still drink it without alcohol but have "spiked" on hand as well for the guests). Thus far to satisfy my cravings since I really only drink it during this time of year, I've been picking up the Dean's Lowfat Premade in my supermarket's dairy section (total instant gratification).

Growing up - my family always made our noggish delight from Borden's Egg Nog (the kind in a can). Now I realize that true "purists" probably want to slap me in the face for that, but in terms of childhood memories, it is a fond one especially since my mother is gone, and I still love that damned eggnog in a can. When I went to the store the other day to shop for the holidays, I saw the cans of them. You'd have thought I would have grinned in delight and carted off with a case of them, but instead of doing that - I cried and cried. Sufficeth to say this year has been a really rough one for me, and one in particular that has left me more often than not - really, really missing my Mother. As a result, for the first time ever, I just couldn't bring myself to buy those "cans".

Holiday traditions are what they are... traditions. But given my rather unusually emotional state this year, and my desire to not to be dwelling in the holiday blues this year - I've endeavored to break the mold for the very first time ever in all my earthly years. I've eaten the same traditional and ethnic XMAS Dinner every year since I could eat solid foods. However, this year instead - I'll be making my very first Lamb Leg Roast and the associated trimmings to do something completely different. So I decided that I would venture even further out on a limb to do something my family has never ever done... and that is to make the Eggnog from scratch. Eggnog has always been the most looked forward to staple and centerpiece of the holiday season (even moreso than any dessert), as it is only at XMAS time through New Years that we'd drink it and our family (sadly enough) looked at it as some special kind of tonic, LOL that would bring holiday cheer. LMAO - as an adult I now understand why ;) but I digress...

I've spent hours online researching the perfect recipe (because obviously I don't want to mess it up) and reading review after review (sad I know over just Eggnog and I had no problem committing to a particular Lamb Recipe). Of course there are a million and one recipies, so it's hard to pick out the best one, and one that is truly well recieved. Furthermore, and not withstanding the "concerns" that exist respective to using uncooked vs. cooked eggs in the Nog, I just don't know which route to go or what recipe to use. Given our little online community here, I'd actually feel better asking individuals I feel I can trust via my online family what suggestions they have for homemade Eggnog recipies that are tried and true in their home for the holidays... (for those of you who might go that extra mile to make it homemade and not serve just the pre-purchased kind).

So, for those of you who wouldn't mind helping a girl out - your kind insights and discussion on this topic are most gratefully appreciated!!!

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!

- The Creative Seamstress
Old 12-21-2010, 07:53 AM

Wish I could help. Had homemade as a kid but since my mom didn't like raw eggs we didn't get very often. I remember milk, eggs, vanilla and a spice(maybe nutmeg???) Wish I could remember for you. If you want a different drink how about spiced cider? PM me if you want recipe. Good luck and I hope you can find a new joy in the holidays.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

Iwas watching Martha Stewart one day and she was making it. She used raw eggs, but sheraises her own chickens, so I would feel safer that way. I bet she has a recipe on her website!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:47 AM

I made this last week. It made about a gallon. Also, because of the kids in the house, I left out the bourbon and added it for adults that wanted it.

It was super tasty and making more for our Christmas Eve celebration.

Traditional Eggnog Ingredients

12 eggs, separated
6 cups milk
2 cups heavy/ thickened cream
2 cups bourbon
1+ 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup brandy
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
Traditional Eggnog Directions

In a large bowl and using a mixer, beat the egg yolks together with the sugar for approx 10 minutes (you want the mixture to be firm and the colour of butter).
Very slowly, add in the bourbon and brandy - just a little at a time.
When bourbon and brandy have been added, allow the mixture to cool in the fridge (for up to 6 hours, depending on how long before your party you're making the eggnog).
30 minutes before your guests arrive, stir the milk into the chilled yolk mixture.
Stir in 1+ 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg.
In a separate bowl, beat the cream with a mixer on high speed until the cream forms stiff peaks.
In yet another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
Gently fold the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture.
Gently fold the cream into the egg mixture.
After ladling into cups, garnish with the remainder of the ground nutmeg.

Serves: 8.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:46 PM

That sounds yummy Denise! I think I will try it - and I feel far more comfortable knowing it was a hit at your house. Thanks a bunch!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:17 AM

I made a second batch last night. The boys (4 and 3) asked for it at breakfast this morning. LOL
Old 12-22-2010, 11:34 PM

Denise,

Your ingredients are the same as mine, but lesser amounts and the addition of one TABLEspoon of good quality vanilla. However, the recipe calls for beating the eggs until lemon colored (white and yolk together), then beat in the sugar, vanilla, and cloves until well combined, then beat in the cream slowly, then add milk to desired consistancy.

Is your final eggnog really creamy and smoothe? It sounds like it would be and I just might have to try doing it your way.

I LOVE Eggnog, and don't like to buy it in the stores because it uses high fructose corn syrup. I'm actually going to try to make it with liquid Sweet Leaf Stevia instead of the sugar, and see how it comes out.

Diane
Old 12-30-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by denise d
I made this last week. It made about a gallon. Also, because of the kids in the house, I left out the bourbon and added it for adults that wanted it.

It was super tasty and making more for our Christmas Eve celebration.

Traditional Eggnog Ingredients

12 eggs, separated
6 cups milk
2 cups heavy/ thickened cream
2 cups bourbon
1+ 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup brandy
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
Traditional Eggnog Directions

In a large bowl and using a mixer, beat the egg yolks together with the sugar for approx 10 minutes (you want the mixture to be firm and the colour of butter).
Very slowly, add in the bourbon and brandy - just a little at a time.
When bourbon and brandy have been added, allow the mixture to cool in the fridge (for up to 6 hours, depending on how long before your party you're making the eggnog).
30 minutes before your guests arrive, stir the milk into the chilled yolk mixture.
Stir in 1+ 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg.
In a separate bowl, beat the cream with a mixer on high speed until the cream forms stiff peaks.
In yet another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
Gently fold the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture.
Gently fold the cream into the egg mixture.
After ladling into cups, garnish with the remainder of the ground nutmeg.

Serves: 8.
I used your recipe and it was a huge hit at my house! I made an adjustment to the type of eggs I used because of my medical issues and our concerns about Salmonella Poisoining. So in the end, no one got sick off this delectable elixir except to say if they drank either way too much or spiked it further than I prepared it and got smashed.

For those of you interested in the eggs I used - if you're like me and would like to eat raw cookie dough and drink real egg nog but are concerned with the potentials of illness as a result, I came across a product (the concept of which was entirely new to me) for a safe pasturized egg.

The name of the eggs was "Davidson's Safest Choice Pasturized Shell Eggs" and I was able to get my hands on them locally which is why I decided to go ahead with the homemade eggnog or I don't think I would have. The eggs didn't disappointment me in terms of usability or quality (we've even eaten them for breakfasts' since) and I found them to be a great resource and solution that I'll continue to use in the future.

They are a tad bit more expensive than your traditional eggs, but after the recall at Hillendale had occured (and those were the eggs we were buying through Costco) I think this product is a complete blessing and I think I'd rather keep on using them going forward. Totally a great find and idea! Hope this info helps someone!

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
- The Creative Seamstress
Old 12-30-2010, 07:26 PM

I am glad it was a hit!!!!
Old 12-31-2010, 10:20 PM
Banned

I know this late but didn't see this until tonight here is my recipe

6 eggs seperated
1 pt heavy cream, whipped unitl peaks form
1/2 c sugar
2 c milk
1 tsp nutmeg

beat egg white unitl stiff. beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and lemon colored. fold yolks, egg whites, milk, nutmeg abd whipped cream until blended this is so thick you could eat it with a spoon. if you have leftovers mix before serving as the cream will rise to the top.