Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The tomato sauce that goes over stuffed peppers

I use tomato soup with a tablespoon of horseradish in it. Yum!!
    Aronel aka Lee

i use a large can of tomato juice for mine

I start my sauce by sauteing , chopped onion, chopped green pepper tops, and one rib of celery chopped fine. Then I put canned tomatoes and tomato paste along with a little oregano and basil, and salt and pepper to taste. I let that simmer while I get the meat mixture ready and the peppers ready to be stuffed.

Daylily Dawn has bout the same thing I would use, except I might not add the oregano; depends on if you want that
    "spaghetti" sauce flavor. The basil makes a world of difference in sauces made with tomatoes; I use it in creole sauces and fish courtboullion, too. Simmering for a long time enhances the flavor. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
    We pour an undiluted can of tomato soup over our stuffed peppers.
    That's the way I do it too.l And I also use Rice A Roni - Spanish Rice mix and use that with the hamburger. I made a lot during the fall and then freeze it in disposable aluminum 8x8 pans. Oh, that sounds so good right now. Have a good day. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

I make these once a year for my hubby's birthday, along with stuffed cabbage. I use red bell peppers because they are sweeter. I also use spaghetti sauce in the meat mixture and top the bell peppers with it. Then I add grated cheese to melt and they are ohhhh so good. Hubby's just love them.
    Amythyst

When all else fails or I am out of sauces etc, I use ketsup.
    Sweet Caroline

Interesting posting and lots of contributions. Thanks I made my version of Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole from a recipe I had found on Facebook. Extra lean ground beef, garlic, chopped onion and green pepper, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, celery seed, parsley, chopped cabbage --- but needed more help on the spices. Hubby and I were at a loss. I think I will add taco seasoning when I heat up the "planned overs." I made an extra large batch so I could freeze some homemade convenience food.

We served the veggie/meat mixture over brown rice. DH told me that it was a good recipe. If he likes it, I know it's a definite keeper......

Roast the cleaned peppers in a 400 oven for about 15-20 minutes before you stuff them.

I saute diced tomatoes without juice, onion and celery...let it simmer...add juice back in as needed...season with whatever spice you like...simmer some more...pour over peppers like a gravy...
    TJ

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast