Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
What I Can I Do With Persimmons? >

What I Can I Do With Persimmons?

What I Can I Do With Persimmons?

Old 09-26-2011, 08:43 AM
np3
Power Poster

I used to know people who had trees, not anymore. I can't even buy them from stands anymore. I am limited to the grocery stores and they aren't always the best and usually are expensive. If you know of anyone selling them in large quantities for a good price, let me know. It would be worth the trip to come and get them.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:55 AM

are only sweet when ripe. I then take the pulp and freeze it in 2c. bags to use in cookies. Thank you,time2quilt-greaterexp-&np3, for the addition recipes. Maybe using it like pumpkin is before they are fully ripe. I find that when they are ripe, the pulp is more like peaches. By the way, it takes a few weeks to ripen on the porch so be patience.....[/quote]
--------------------------------------
Depends on the kind. There's 3 or 4 or more kinds of them, the REAL ones from the East that are small and tasty, but should be touched by cold to be eaten.
Here in CA I first saw the A Fuyu persimmon and the Hachiya, both of which are quite different from the little ones I grew up with in West Virginia.
One of these is small and hard, when ripe are crisp and lovely in fruit salads. The other one looks like a tomato that I first thought it was when I first got hold of one. This one can be hurried into softness by an overnight visit in the freezer, or held whole in the freezer till you get around to using it. There are other, much rarer ones that have dark meat, but not found often in grocery stores, except for speciality ones.

I think of them (the big tomato-like ones) like Pumpkins, use the same recipes but add more nuts, it has a lovely deep flavor.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:31 AM

at what temp. do you bake it? and for how long?
Old 09-26-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Gramma
Neighbor gave us a bag full of persimmons. Naturally, I can't turn them down when I know there is something I can do with them! Jams, Jellys or what have you? Need recipes. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance?

Gramma
cookies!!!!!! wish I knew where to get some in Washington state. smile when I lived in Calif a neighbor would call me when hers were ripe. They make a great cookie.....
Old 09-26-2011, 01:27 PM

make wine!
Old 09-26-2011, 02:29 PM

Does anyone have the recipe for the persimmon cookies-i have my grandmothers persimmon pudding recipe and also one for the persimmon cake--which is similar to the persimmon bread just more ingredients and you actually cook it in a pound cake-bundt pan-
Old 09-26-2011, 03:24 PM

I always understood that they were only ripe after a frost. Maybe that is just a certain kind. I don't know anyone who has them any more.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:27 PM

In the eastern states , they need to have a frost on them to make them sweeter. Ours in North Carolina are the small varity.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:07 PM

I haven't had a persimmon since I left Texas, yet another thing I miss about Texas. (And yes, I did suffer the eternal Texas joke for 'greenhorns' I was given a bite of an under ripe persimmon. Gives a whole new meaning to the word sour!)
Old 09-27-2011, 08:49 AM

The variety, that grow wild, here in VA need a frost before they turn sweet; unfortunately, my horses get to them before I do. They absolutely love them.