3/4 cup sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 cup oil
1 t. cinnamon
1 c. persimmon pulp
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 t. baking soda
1/2 c raisins
Preheat oven to 325°. Oil 9 X 4 inch bread pan. In small bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, salt, nuts and raisins. In large bowl, blend eggs, sugar and oil. Mix baking soda into pulp, add to sugar mixture. Fold in flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 75 minutes or until it tests done with toothpick inserted in middle that comes out clean.
I add cloves and nutmeg too.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by np3
Originally Posted by Gramma
How do you freeze them? Do you freeze them whole,cut up, cooked or what? Maybe I should know this but have never worked with them! Sorry.
Freeze them whole in a brown paper bag.

Or you can peel them and make pulp from the inside fruit and freeze that in any airtight container that you would use to freeze anything else.
I measure out & freeze recipe portions of the pulp in ziplock bags. Lay them on a cookie sheet until frozen. This makes them flat & easier to stack & store in the freezer.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:03 AM

Has anyone seen a persimmon cake recipe? Similar in texture & looks to a carrot cake. Many years ago a boyfriend's mom made one & I've always wished I had asked for her recipe. Have not really liked persimmons until recently, but I remember liking that cake.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:11 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by np3
Originally Posted by Gramma
How do you freeze them? Do you freeze them whole,cut up, cooked or what? Maybe I should know this but have never worked with them! Sorry.
Freeze them whole in a brown paper bag.

Or you can peel them and make pulp from the inside fruit and freeze that in any airtight container that you would use to freeze anything else.
I measure out & freeze recipe portions of the pulp in ziplock bags. Lay them on a cookie sheet until frozen. This makes them flat & easier to stack & store in the freezer.
I have done this too. But i found I prefer the container, totally personal preference. Do you have a good source for them?
Old 09-26-2011, 08:12 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Has anyone seen a persimmon cake recipe? Similar in texture & looks to a carrot cake. Many years ago a boyfriend's mom made one & I've always wished I had asked for her recipe. Have not really liked persimmons until recently, but I remember liking that cake.
I need to check my file. I know I have one someplace. I make it and frost it with cream cheese frosting.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:12 AM

My daughter has a persimmon tree and we found out two things right away. First--take them off the tree just as they start to "blush" before the birds get them. Second--let them ripen (on my enclosed back porch) before using. They are only sweet when ripe. I then take the pulp and freeze it in 2c. bags to use in cookies. Thank you,time2quilt-greaterexp-&np3, for the addition recipes. Maybe using it like pumpkin is before they are fully ripe. I find that when they are ripe, the pulp is more like peaches. By the way, it takes a few weeks to ripen on the porch so be patience.....
Old 09-26-2011, 08:14 AM

I see several receipes for breads, but if you go to "Bing" or "google" I bet you can find lots of receipes...worth a try..
Old 09-26-2011, 08:25 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AzSailor
My daughter has a persimmon tree and we found out two things right away. First--take them off the tree just as they start to "blush" before the birds get them. Second--let them ripen (on my enclosed back porch) before using. They are only sweet when ripe. I then take the pulp and freeze it in 2c. bags to use in cookies. Thank you,time2quilt-greaterexp-&np3, for the addition recipes. Maybe using it like pumpkin is before they are fully ripe. I find that when they are ripe, the pulp is more like peaches. By the way, it takes a few weeks to ripen on the porch so be patience.....
They will ripen in a brown paper bag on a counter as well.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by np3
I have done this too. But i found I prefer the container, totally personal preference. Do you have a good source for them?
Yes - I know several people who have trees, so I can usually manage to get a couple of grocery bags full. Strange thing is that my Mom was the one who did all of the baking with persimmons. Her persimmon pudding was always a favorite of both my brothers. First time I made her recipe on my own was a couple of days before she passed away. She had a bag of persimmons at her house that I cooked up into persimmon pudding for my brothers so it did not go to waste. I've been making persimmon pudding for them each year since. A nice tradition of Mom's for me to carry on for my brother's. They really like me doing it. Fond memories & all that.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:32 AM

oops double post.