Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-03-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by JCquilts
Originally Posted by no1jan
Does anyone have a closeup picture of a model 66-1 treadle bobbin winder (don't laugh Billy, I didn't break this one).

I took mine apart to clean it thoroughly thinking it was the same as my other 66 treadle but this one doesn't have the black piece for the bobbin winder but a steel one. I goes together differently. I have most of it put back but can't figure out the rest. It is made differently than the other treadle.

Thanks in advance.
Jan.

Yeah, Billy I did it again!
Jan, does it look like this?
JC the decals on your machine are so vivid and beautiful.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:13 PM

Yes, I think it's a beauty. I should be getting it by next week I guess. It's being shipped out tomorrow.

My Newest Acquisition 'Maggie'
[ATTACH=CONFIG]78769[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-78764.jpe
Views:	200
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	78769  
Old 06-04-2010, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Help! Maybe this machine is not a 'vintage' machine', but I am hoping someone can help me here. I can't navigate the Sears site to find what I am looking for.

A Kenmore sewing machine followed me home from a local garage sale... It is a model number 158-18000, with a serial number of 02613. Included are lots of bobbins, and a great many attachments. There are cams that load in the top to allow different stitches. There is even a buttonhole attachment! The missing item - an owner's manual. Anyone know where I might be able to get one? And there is a thread guide that has broken. I am hoping to be able to replace that. I will post pics later, as I need help to remove it from the car. I hope to be able to get it ready to hand over to DD in a short amount of time.
I have had good luck with "manualsoncd.com" . Especially with Kenmores. Maybe yours will be there.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:35 AM

I would still love to have a Featherweight, but got in my storage building and dug out a Necchi portable that my SIL picked up off the curb and, lo and behold, when I tried it out it works beautifully. I don't think it has ever been used! and has been in the case for years.

It has zig-zag and you can drop the feeddogs.

Now I am wondering how old it is. I know it was given to me about 10 years ago.

The only thing it says on the box and on the book is Model 535FA SN225726.

I don't have camera to post a pics. Sorry.

Thanks for your help in satisfying my curiousity.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:53 AM

Polly,
I had one of those for a while, nice machine. I think its from the mid 70s-80s? Someone gave it to me and said it didn't work. It uses generic class 15 bobbins, not the class 66 Singer bobbin, she was using.
Since I tinker with machines, I figured out really quick that she was using the wrong bobbin and it also
must have had a spool of thread wrapped around the inside of the hand wheel; once I fixed those problems
and cleaned and oiled it. OH my she sewed a beautiful stitch. I gave it to one of my DD's friends who was looking for a machine that wasn't a really cheap Wal-mart machine; He loves his machine.
Sharon W.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:52 AM

Polly, I have two Necchi machines. Both are the BU models, one industrial on a power table and the other is a portable. I had the industrial one gone through and the other is in need of work. One of my future projects.

There is a Yahoo group that is dedicated to the Necchi machines, NecchiSewingMachineClub and they are dedicated to the older machines. They are also a fairly active and friendly group. I did look in their files and according to the model number your machine was built in Taiwan sometime between 1982 and 1988.

From what I can gather most Necchi models are great machines. The older ones built in Italy are highly prized and called the Ferrari of the sewing machine world. They should run super quiet because of their precision made gears. I have looked at stuff about their history and it is pretty cool as well.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:35 PM

Don't feel bad, I bought one (66 w/motor) without the cords and have no idea where to start. I thought it would just be a matter of buying a cord and plugging it in!

Sharon
Old 06-04-2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by JCquilts
Originally Posted by no1jan
Does anyone have a closeup picture of a model 66-1 treadle bobbin winder (don't laugh Billy, I didn't break this one).

I took mine apart to clean it thoroughly thinking it was the same as my other 66 treadle but this one doesn't have the black piece for the bobbin winder but a steel one. I goes together differently. I have most of it put back but can't figure out the rest. It is made differently than the other treadle.

Thanks in advance.
Jan.

Yeah, Billy I did it again!
Jan, does it look like this?
Attached are pictures of my Model 66-1 bobbin winder that I can't figure out how to put back together. My in on the left and the one that appears to be on all the others is on the right hand side of the picture.

If you notice the "Y", on mine is NOT black but silver. Also the silver piece at the very top is not on my bobbin winder.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? This is driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance!

Model 66-1 Bobbin Winder -1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79369[/ATTACH]

Model 66-1 Bobbin Winder -2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79370[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-79364.jpe
Views:	191
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	79369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-79365.jpe
Views:	294
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	79370  
Old 06-04-2010, 02:03 PM

This is unrelated to the machines, but I wanted to say to Billy, I just discovered the quilts you have made while following a link here! I must say You do marvelous work and I just love them all.. We sure have some talented men on this forum! :)

Sharon
Old 06-04-2010, 02:08 PM

I was looking online could be mids 60's to 70's .. the Necchi sewing machine you have there, Polly.