Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-04-2010, 07:21 PM

BK, I'da paid $25 for that shiney bootlegged black machine in a heartbeat!! :) She's purdy!
Old 06-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AshleyO
Well I can now say that I know “Joy” (Singer treadle "Sphinx" from 1905) very well. I finished my quilt that I started just this week. It took a little work with the tension, but her stiches are so beautiful now. And the sound of that vibrating shuttle is so soothing. Hubby says he loves that sound, too. And he said maybe we could pick up another if we see a good deal :mrgreen:

The quilt really didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to, but it was great practice on winding the bobbin, threading the machine, and finding out what she likes. The fact of the matter is… Joy likes things her way! LOL She is pretty particular about having a tightly wound bobbin, being threaded perfectly, and making sure the thread it under the presser foot, and I mean, that is a big big deal to her! I have sewed on several modern machines and never really paid attention to where the thread tails went. Well I found out that Joy cares about that! Hehe. Anyhow, I feel great about how much I’ve learned. And I had fun. My next project will not be so ambitious. I think I can thread her with my eyes closed now! (Oh, and I went through 4 spools of thread in one project! That is a record for me!) Hehe. :mrgreen:
I try to tell folks that the sound of a VS machine is so soothing especially in a treadle. They look at me like I have lobsters crawling out of my ears. But it feels so good after you made a quilt start to finish on a treadle!!!

Billy
Old 06-05-2010, 06:35 AM

I got my bobbin winder put back together for my Model 66-1 treadle!!! :!: :!: :D

I went to my local sewing shop, and he put it back together for me. A spring broke in the process, but that's ok as I can still work it manually. I am going to look up part numbers to see if I can replace the spring, but in the mean time it's in one piece.

Thanks so much for all the help!!!

Jan :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 06-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by no1jan
I got my bobbin winder put back together for my Model 66-1 treadle!!! :!: :!: :D

I went to my local sewing shop, and he put it back together for me. A spring broke in the process, but that's ok as I can still work it manually. I am going to look up part numbers to see if I can replace the spring, but in the mean time it's in one piece.

Good going Jan!!!! I hope you remembered what went where when it comes time to do the spring.

I am glad its back and running!!

Billy
Old 06-05-2010, 09:26 AM

Okay ... I went and done it again (my husband keeps saying ... why do we need all these machines) ... but I can't help myself ...

I purchased a electric singer at a yard sale a church was having today (a HUGE sale it was). Someone already snatched a table top one... and there was another one that was a table top singer ... but I found this one ... and the price ... was reasonable ... couldn't believe it!

[IMG]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...res/singer.jpg[/IMG]

Serial #EL906291 99K

November 20, 1956

NOTE: I forgot to add the price ... are you sitting down ... $2.00.

Yes you read that right ... TWO DOLLARS!!! and it does work - hubby tested it out ... but I will have to find some parts as it doesn't have any :(

So what do you think about Suzy-Q?

(sings *Suzy Q baby I love you ... Suzy Q*)
Old 06-05-2010, 09:31 AM

Hi Billy, I have a Singer 500A that was given to me a few years ago. It's been in a closet for a few years and I need to know where to oil it. There is a white plastic-looks like a dipstick-elongated toy top. I need to know what it's used for. I don't have a manual just a few extra feet and cams. The flywheel can turn but it feels like it's a little stiff. I know it needs lubricating but I don't know where to put the oil. anne
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-79759.jpe
Views:	298
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	79764  
Old 06-05-2010, 09:48 AM

"I know it needs lubricating but I don't know where to put the oil. anne"

I found a page of the manual that shows where to oil it.
http://www.newenglandsimpleliving.co...atemachine.htm
Old 06-05-2010, 09:55 AM

Robin, Suzy-Q ROCKS!! You *might* have paid too much, but I don't think so!! :lol: :lol:
Old 06-05-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by no1jan

Good going Jan!!!! I hope you remembered what went where when it comes time to do the spring.

I am glad its back and running!!

Billy

Just hope it works! Believe me I am taking pictures this time!
:thumbup:
Old 06-05-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Robin, Suzy-Q ROCKS!! You *might* have paid too much, but I don't think so!! :lol: :lol:
Isn't that the truth :D Wish I could find more ... now I'm looking for accessories ... the hard part now comes ...