Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-19-2010, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by mickey
can someone tell me what model this machine is? 99? 66? 221?

Mickey,
Its a 99K. That was my 1st old machine.
Sharon
Old 06-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darcene
Originally Posted by quilt addict
Darcene, Good for you, oh for the joy of auctions. I can't find any in this area.

I hope you grow to love all the ones you have rescued. :P
I told myself that I could always part them out or just put them out of misery by taking them to the recycling center
but as is always the way with me and strays I am starting
to look at them as worth working on and saving and loving....
they are all lined up on the large cutting table watching me
as I type and I can feel the tug on my heartstrings already..... each of them has a story and a history..
if only they could talk...I'm probably a goner for sure...
but, I will wait and see what
Dr. Billy and Dr. Charlee think before I start any major renovation on any of them.....
If your going to get rid of them then you know who to talk to.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy
Old 06-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Katia
Well, I finally found a treasure when I was out at yard sales looking for Singer attachments. ]
I almost tripped over her actually. If I read the number right she is a 99 made in 1940.
The guy plugged her in for me and she sounded pretty good. Maybe a little slow, but she needs a good cleaning.
The whole machine is pretty dirty. The front has orangey yuck all over the silver.
And there is a lot of pin rash. But the decals looks good.
The cabinet needs refinishing, but is in pretty good condition otherwise.

Oh, I got her or 45 bucks. Not too bad?

I found two others but the old guy wanted way too much for them. One was a nice coffin top treadle. I did not pull the machine up to see what it was, but it was in filthy and needed to be refinished. He wanted 375 for it. Uh, no. The other he had was a fairly modern looking cabinet with a pretty hefty looking machine in it. He tried to tell me it was the first machine Singer ever made. Maybe the first one they made in the 40s or 50s. That one was 300. Oh well, the search goes on.

Pictures of my newest baby.
That machine will clean up nicely!! And you made a good score, 3/4 machine cabinets are very hard to find!!!

Billy
Old 06-19-2010, 06:32 PM

Really? I had no idea. That is good to know. It does not seem to be as heavy as some machines.

Oh, I meant to post this earlier, but I found the most amazing machine on Ebay. I am not bidding on it, but thought other here would love to see it, if they have not found it already. Lots and lots of pictures to load, but worth it. It is a Wheeler and Wilson, but not like any sewing machine I have ever seen. And not a mess to be fixed either. It does look kinda dangerous to sew on. I bet there was lots of sewn fingers with a machine like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-WHEELER-...25019829724974
Old 06-19-2010, 06:34 PM

Oops, I stretched the board, sorry. I wish I knew how to fix it.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:34 PM

are most treadle heads the same size. I have a treadle and the cabinet is great. I enjoy the machine, but can't find Brunswick parts. I'm want to trade heads if I find one I like. I have seen a couple of red eye singer treadle heads on e-bay that might be in my price range. One seller told how it would be doubled packaged.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:44 PM

WOW!!!!!

That is one gorgeous machine! I don't think I could ever sell such a beauty, unless I was in dire financial straits. I am going to watch it in my Ebay to see just how much it goes for. If I won the lottery, I would most definitely be a bidder on it!
Old 06-19-2010, 06:47 PM

I'm just watching it too. There is a reserve, but I have no idea what it is. The workmanship is amazing. Can you imagine, a glass presser foot! I think it is a work of art.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:48 PM

I want to know what was sewn on it. No room at the back of machine.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Katia
Really? I had no idea. That is good to know. It does not seem to be as heavy as some machines.

Oh, I meant to post this earlier, but I found the most amazing machine on Ebay. I am not bidding on it, but thought other here would love to see it, if they have not found it already. Lots and lots of pictures to load, but worth it. It is a Wheeler and Wilson, but not like any sewing machine I have ever seen. And not a mess to be fixed either. It does look kinda dangerous to sew on. I bet there was lots of sewn fingers with a machine like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-WHEELER-...25019829724974
Holy Crow! What a machine. And made in Bridgeport, Connecticut. Which at the time was an elegant city. Sadly, not so much anymore. But Connecticut was a manufacturing hub, back in the day.