Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-25-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Icandothat
Originally Posted by Charlee
I recently "acquired" this sewing machine cabinet that I want to refinish. I need advice.
1. Do you know anything about this cabinet? What machine was originally in it? etc.
2. How should I refinish the veneer? Should I consider painting the entire cabinet?
3. Note the way the cabinet "cover" section opens. It only opens to this 90 degree angle. At first I thought the "take up" wire slid back and forth in the groove, but after examining it, I think the wire is fixed at both ends. Do I need to replace this wire with a longer one that allows the "cover" section to lay flat?
I appreciate you taking the time to advise me.
I don't think you should refinish it at all, I think you should send it to me instead!! ;) :lol:

I wouldn't paint it! I would put a longer wire on so that the "table" lays flat, and I would wash the wood with Murphy's Oil Soap, let it dry, give it a going over with Homer's Furniture Refinisher and then a coat of Homer's Beeswax with Orange Oil...
Thanks, Charlee..... I will try those products. The cabinet looks so washed out.... I would love to bring it back to life.
Do you know what machine originally came in this cabinet? Or the time frame when it was sold?
I love this thread and try to keep up on the new posts.
Thanks, again.
Also, are you aware of any tricks to adding another wire?
Old 06-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Banned

I recently "acquired" this sewing machine cabinet that I want to refinish. I need advice.
1. Do you know anything about this cabinet? What machine was originally in it? etc.
2. How should I refinish the veneer? Should I consider painting the entire cabinet?
3. Note the way the cabinet "cover" section opens. It only opens to this 90 degree angle. At first I thought the "take up" wire slid back and forth in the groove, but after examining it, I think the wire is fixed at both ends. Do I need to replace this wire with a longer one that allows the "cover" section to lay flat?
I am in love with this cabinet!! Just take care of it like Charlee stated and you should be good to go. The cabinet could be refinished but I like the antique look. Make it looked like a well cared for antique and not a refinished piece.

Billy
Old 06-25-2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I am in love with this cabinet!! Just take care of it like Charlee stated and you should be good to go. The cabinet could be refinished but I like the antique look. Make it looked like a well cared for antique and not a refinished piece.

Billy
Thank you! Hopefully, my cleaning and refinishing will do it justice. Do you know when this cabinet type was built?
I am still not sure how to redo the wire so it folds back to fully open the top cover.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:37 PM

3. Note the way the cabinet "cover" section opens. It only opens to this 90 degree angle. At first I thought the "take up" wire slid back and forth in the groove, but after examining it, I think the wire is fixed at both ends. Do I need to replace this wire with a longer one that allows the "cover" section to lay flat?Charlee is right on. Beaware that the finish on these cabinets are shellac and alcohol will desolve the finish. Use Mohawk Bril glow rubbing liquid and it will shine the finnish like new. Glenn
I don't think you should refinish it at all, I think you should send it to me instead!! ;) :lol:

I wouldn't paint it! I would put a longer wire on so that the "table" lays flat, and I would wash the wood with Murphy's Oil Soap, let it dry, give it a going over with Homer's Furniture Refinisher and then a coat of Homer's Beeswax with Orange Oil...
Old 06-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

Have you checked to be sure the wire isn't just hung up somehow? It seems very strange that it would be too short for the table to open up properly.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:25 PM

I have been working on cleaning my 1907 Singer 27 and have a question .... or more : )
1.) How the heck do you take out the presser foot bar? I've tried several different things but for the life of me I can't figure it out.
2.) What is the purpose of the knob above the bobbin winder?
3.) How do you get the plates and knobs to look like polished chrome?
Old 06-26-2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
Have you checked to be sure the wire isn't just hung up somehow? It seems very strange that it would be too short for the table to open up properly.
You are so right!!!!! The wire was not feeding correctly. It now works beautifully. I spent the entire day cleaning it up and am now ready to apply some wood conditioner. I looked for the "Homer" brand that Charlee recommended but was unable to find it at the big box stores. I plan to research online. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:57 PM

[quote=Icandothat]

Thanks, Charlee..... I will try those products. The cabinet looks so washed out.... I would love to bring it back to life.
Do you know what machine originally came in this cabinet? Or the time frame when it was sold?
I love this thread and try to keep up on the new posts.
Thanks, again.[/quote

Charlee,
Is Homer the same as Formbys? Where do you buy the refinisher and the beeswax?
Old 06-26-2010, 05:58 PM

Old 06-26-2010, 06:00 PM

You are so right!!!!! The wire was not feeding correctly. It now works beautifully. I spent the entire day cleaning it up and am now ready to apply some wood conditioner. I looked for the "Homer" brand that Charlee recommended but was unable to find it at the big box stores. I plan to research online. Thanks for your help.
Fantastic!!! :lol: Don't you love it when something turns out to be easier than you thought it might be.....That is one beautiful cabinet......

Darcene