Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husquavarna Sewing machines >

Husquavarna Sewing machines

Husquavarna Sewing machines

Old 07-02-2010, 06:46 AM

GladGrams: I don't think these problems are unique to Viking machines--check out the complaints about Janomes, Bernina,etc on those sites.

Most of the problems I have are mostly due to me: if I'd have taken the classes when I bought my machine I'd have learned about most of these things. At the time I was working 45-50 hours per week and didn't want to take even more time from my family. Also, none of my friends are quilters and I don't have any one to ask even simple questions--my LQS is okay, but too busy for minor problems. I consider the people here to be friends so felt like I could ask anything. I was so happy when Charlie started this post.

To the person who emailed me and feels I "took over this thread with my own sewing problems" I apologise--that certainly was not my intent. Along with suggestions for my problem, I learned a lot about thread, needles, tension, etc. and would hope others on here have too. If not I am really sorry.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:10 AM

The Viking accessory users guide book (p 58) refers to "the hand look quilting stitch" as a decorative stitch. Does anyone know which stitch that is on the Sapphire 870?
Old 07-02-2010, 08:39 AM

if you go to the quilting stitches in menu 2, it's the next stitch after the 1/4 inch stitch. You use clear thread on top and your colored thread in the bobbin. keep your quilt right side up. fabric select 'heavy' .
Old 07-02-2010, 04:37 PM

I had a Viking#1 for eighteen years and loved it it did everything like you said a real workhorse. It died a slow death did not want it to die. Tried to keep it running but finnally had to give in and bought a Janome 6600. I like it but it does not have some of the stitches the Viking had which I used all the time but it is good.Hopefully I will love this one as much. Janey
Old 07-03-2010, 02:00 PM

A bobbin genie is a thin washer made out of slippery teflon. It eliminates backlash and bird's nests on the underside of FMQ. I forget to take them out, so they are in my bobbin cases 95% of the time. When I clean by bobbin case after approx. 4-5 hours of sewing & change my needle, if I'm not doing FMQ, then I take it out and pin it to my pincushion. I also use the Free Motion Slider (teflon sheet that fits over the single needle plate for FMQ). I watched Sharon Schamber do a demo in her booth at Paducah in 2008 and have been using both since then. I think there is a dozen in a pack for around $9 or $10; best money I even spent for FMQ! No affiliation, just a huge fan.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:18 PM

Thank you for sharing the wonderful Needle info sheet! Very good reference tool for all of us quilters and sewists alike.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:29 PM

I also have trouble threading my Designer SE with the auto needle threader. Everytime I go to my dealer and show them, they say I just need to practice, practice, practice. And guess what, the more I do it, the easier it becomes. I also have a Janome and it was the same with it in the beginning. Needle and thread size does matter. A really good, FREE source for education on threads and needles can be found on the Superior Thread website. They sell all kinds of brands; again, no affiliation, just a happy customer.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:19 AM

I am very interested in the bobbin genie, do you have any idea where they could be purchased. Hope that this info would'nt be breaking any board rules.
stitches3
Old 07-04-2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by marniata
My Viking 870 gets "linty" fast, so I vacuum it frequently. The needle has to be thoroughly pushed up or thread shreds and breaks...even tho it threaded perfectly. Loooove the threader and cutter aps! I am also having difficulty FMQing. Does anyone else out there turn off the auto-fix ap (a sales rep told meto) or change the tension before FMQing? What stitch length do you use? Piece!
For FMQ I use a 40 weight quilting thread on the top and a 50 weight in the bobbin, feed dogs down, set my machine on "C" then I go in and change the tension up to 6 at least, otherwise the heavier thread pulls down & shows on the underneath. It's interesting reading how each of us manage. If I were to use matching colours & thread weights, I may not have to manually change the tension. (I have the 870, and really DO NOT enjoy winding bobbins on it, sometimes I take out my Lily 540 & wind up a few bobbins on it)
Old 07-04-2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante
I have not been mindful of what type of thread I'm using so I'll be more aware now. I have tried to put a little white round paper reinforcer on the bobbin tops to remind myself what thread is in the bobbin. Does anyone know where to find what the weight of the thread is? I have looked and only sometimes find it. Any hints?
Originally Posted by Honchey
Charlene What kind of thread are you using? It might be the thread.
The thread weight is usually on the spool ends if you're using 100% cotton threads.