Does anyone like to Can

Old 07-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Banned

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I make a to die for Pepper Relish and also Red Pepper Jelly. I do pickled veggies, jams, cucumber pickles, watermelon pickles and roasted peppers. No meats I don't have a pressure cooker. I make sun dried tomatoes. I wish I had a HUGE garden or someone to go to the farm stand for me but I do what I can and enjoy it during the winter.
I do not waste anything if I am making peach jam I take all the peelings and pits add water simmer strain and with the juice make peach jelly. Some goes for apples.

OH DOES THIS COUNT???????? Pickled eggs. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-19-2010, 12:05 PM

Thanks Jolo for the recipe
Old 07-19-2010, 01:51 PM

Yes we love pickled eggs. I cnn everything I can get my hands on. lol I do have pressure cookers. I even make meatloaf and can it. veggie soups, chiclen noodle or rice soup, chili.I do have a freezer and if Im feeling lazy I freeze stuff. Like corn on the cob. lol I love the summer garden and thank the Lord for the produce.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:54 PM

I put up 10 pints of fig preserves this morning. We experimented with making a fig upside down cake too. It turned out very good.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:28 AM

We don't have a garden but I have a compost pile that is 20+ years in the making. Do have grapes though and make wine and grape jam in the late spring. There is nothing in the world better than home grown veggies.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:31 AM

You've got that right.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Banned

never canned, before freezer used to bottle; now make soups to freeze for winter and chutneys too, but don't now do as much as I did.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
I love to can. Made a huge mistake buying a glass top stove. You cannot use a pressure cooker/canner on them. Bought the darn thing in the winter and by the time I realized I couldn't use it for canning it was too late. Now I have to freeze my vegetables and am saving for a gas range. I still can fruits in a water bath.
I used my pressure cooker on my glass top. You just have to make sure you don't cover the whole element area, you should be OK....but check with your service person just to be sure.

Patti
Old 07-30-2010, 07:19 PM

I use to love to can tomatoes with my mom. sure miss that. Ihaven't canned for years, but going to try to can some greenbeans and tomatoes. want to make some bread and butter pickles and freeze some corn. Ilive in a patio home so will have to buy my produce since no room for a garden. but still love my patio home.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:57 AM

I grew up with parents that canned, pickled, jammed, and jellied. As my siblings and I got old enough to help, it became a family affair. We had an old hand grinder for doing relish. We all wanted to turn the crank...except for when the onions were being done!! LOL

Now, when I am doing canning of any kind, I get those warm and fuzzy memory feelings. I am right back in my childhood kitchen with my family. My DH also enjoys helping. What a wonderful time to spend together!!

A couple of the young gals I work with want to learn, so I suspect I will be holding lessons this summer.

Patti