Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jenna p in ga
Well, I went and did it...bought another machine! Hope I did not pay too much, but it was a hand crank and I have not seen one before so I bought it. I pd $75; the top of the case is missing and it looks to have been well used. While I was pondering getting it a lady stopped and said if I call her she will see if she has an extra bobbin from her GM's old treadle! The shuttle is w/it so that is nice.

So, let me know if I pd too much, just so I will know in the future. Oh, the tag on it said it was a 124K from 1913...if I remember correctly.
Looks good to me. I have not seen a decent hand cranck in my area unless it was for $225. they are not as commong as treadles. Enjoy! Very nice machine by the looks of it.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by jenna p in ga
. . . Oh, the tag on it said it was a 124K from 1913...if I remember correctly.
It's a model 28 with Rococo decals.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by loves2quilt
Does anyone know anything about this machine? It says Modern Electric and it appears to be in good shape, except the case it torn to heck on the back corner. I didnt buy it but Im considering going back for it tomorrow. I did a google search but couldnt find anything. Pic isnt the greatest, I took it with my phone.
Japanese made class 15 machine. Takes singer type 15 bobbins and bobbin cases, 15 X1 (standard) needles, and the slide plate can usually be replaced with Singer 15 plate. I like sewing on class 15 machines, and often replace the hand wheel with a spoked one and attach a hand crank.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Does anyone know anything about this machine? It says Modern Electric and it appears to be in good shape, except the case it torn to heck on the back corner. I didnt buy it but Im considering going back for it tomorrow. I did a google search but couldnt find anything. Pic isnt the greatest, I took it with my phone.
Japanese made class 15 machine. Takes singer type 15 bobbins and bobbin cases, 15 X1 (standard) needles, and the slide plate can usually be replaced with Singer 15 plate. I like sewing on class 15 machines, and often replace the hand wheel with a spoked one and attach a hand crank.
Miz Johnny, I have one of these machines, can you tell me where I can get the spoked wheel and crank? I have been considering doing that to mine.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by BZ quilting

Miz Johnny, I have one of these machines, can you tell me where I can get the spoked wheel and crank? I have been considering doing that to mine.
I get mine from

[email protected]
Old 08-08-2010, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by BZ quilting

I have a couple of the converted class 15 machines here:

(http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...49886700nFcTBG)
Old 08-08-2010, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by husband-of-a-quilter
Another 5 dollar find. You just got to love these machines. They look like the dash of a early sixties car. This is a Bamberger
oh my, did it come in the cabinet? how neat!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Katia
Wasn't someone here interested in a Pfaff treadle? There is one for sale on my nearest Craigslist.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/atq/1885966995.html

It's even a coffin top.
I would love to have a Pfaff treddle, but the shiping on it would cost more than the machine from there.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:16 AM

OK, here's a stupid question. Do hand cranks work the same way as a treadle in that once you get it going both your hands are free to guide the fabric OR do you have to constantly crank it to keep it going. Doesn't this make it difficult to sew "One Handed"?
Old 08-08-2010, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
OK, here's a stupid question. Do hand cranks work the same way as a treadle in that once you get it going both your hands are free to guide the fabric OR do you have to constantly crank it to keep it going. Doesn't this make it difficult to sew "One Handed"?
Doug,
Thank you for asking this question. I was always too scared to ask and really wanted to know :D . Hopefully someone will answer it for us.