Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-08-2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by no1jan
Thank you, but I have no idea about what model or anything it is. I am wondering if it was reconditioned as it is so shiny.

It sews beautifully. But I would have no idea how to use the bobbin winder or rethread it if it breaks.
I've probably threaded literally thousands of machines because I worked for Singer for a long time. Basically they all tread the same. across - down through the tension - back up - down - through the needle. Any and all "holes" that look like they are anywhere near the path of the thread just assume that the thread goes through the hole. the only tricky part can be which direction to thread the needle. Front to back? Right to left? Left to right? Take a photo of how it's threaded now so you can remember.

Same goes for the direction of the insertion of a new needle. Just remember which way the flat part faces.

Good luck with it and have fun.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt addict
I went to a garage sale today and was looking at material. When the woman asked me if I sewed, I told her I was a new quilter and fell into it. I then saw that she had 2 machines and asked how much she wanted. Before I knew it I had 3 boxes of material and craft items and 2 machines for (don't fall over)!!!

$1.00 :thumbup: :thumbup: :D :D :shock: :shock:
Jan, you did great! Remember God blesses those who care for those less fortunate. Enjoy that beautiful machine.
Amen Lisa!!!

And to think she did some of your kinda shopping today my love!! So are you back m vacation and how many more machines did you come home with?

Jan I think you did wonderful and to think that the vast majority of the decals are there! You will love the machine but Miz Johnny is right you will chase that rascal all over the table thats why I am doing the 128 I got from you as a hand crank. And you know I get more complements on that machine!!

Billy
Old 08-08-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by quilterguy27
I have two featherweights and I'd love for one of them to be orange. It's just that although they aren't in any way perfect I wouldn't want to ruin them or diminish their value by changing the color. One is a 1948 that runs great but isn't cosmetically a looker. The other is a Centennial 1951 that looks ok, but needs to be serviced. Should I consider painting one or find one beyond repair and have it redone all together? You are the expert and I will heed your advise. OK, just tell me what to do! LOL
Since there were so many FW's made you can take the 1948 one and redo it and make it more valuable. I would just preserve what you have with the centennial.

I am not real hip on the FWs' but I am looking at a 1939 San Fransisco Expo edition FW on eBay right now. I would like to have it of a Texas State Fair FW.

Billy
Billy:
I'm going tohave to figure out how I can swing this. I would love to have the 1948 painted orange. How many shades do you have in orange. How would you do the stensils? Maybe in black? Not sure how gold would show up on the orange. How much extra for custom stensils? Just a bunch of questions running around in my head like sugar plums. Also I need to have the centennial serviced. I know you can do them both but we're talking bucks for me to ship both of them to you to paint one and service the other. Scarry and I have to find the money to boot. I was gonna say PM me with your response and I guess you can but I figured everyone else would be curious to your response. Either way, I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks a ton!!! I love your work!!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I have two featherweights and I'd love for one of them to be orange. It's just that although they aren't in any way perfect I wouldn't want to ruin them or diminish their value by changing the color. One is a 1948 that runs great but isn't cosmetically a looker. The other is a Centennial 1951 that looks ok, but needs to be serviced. Should I consider painting one or find one beyond repair and have it redone all together? You are the expert and I will heed your advise. OK, just tell me what to do! LOL
Since there were so many FW's made you can take the 1948 one and redo it and make it more valuable. I would just preserve what you have with the centennial.

I am not real hip on the FWs' but I am looking at a 1939 San Fransisco Expo edition FW on eBay right now. I would like to have it of a Texas State Fair FW.

Billy
I looked at that San Fransisco Expo one and that's definitely way out of my price range. I will enjoy that one in my dreams. Being a transplanted Texan I'd love one of the Texas State Fair also. Haven't seen one. Didn't know they were out there. And I bet they'd be a small fortune as well.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:18 PM

Holy Moly!!! Did you feel like you stole them? I'd almost feel guilty. They are beautiful. Good job. How could you go wrong for a buck.
I went to a garage sale today and was looking at material. When the woman asked me if I sewed, I told her I was a new quilter and fell into it. I then saw that she had 2 machines and asked how much she wanted. Before I knew it I had 3 boxes of material and craft items and 2 machines for (don't fall over)!!!

$1.00 :thumbup: :thumbup: :D :D :shock: :shock:
Old 08-08-2010, 07:26 PM

I hope someone can help me figure this out. I am in the process of bringing a New Home Light Running Type F machine back to life. It was given to me so all I have invested in it so far is time and a little oil. I got it all cleaned up and DH rewired the motor for me to make it safe. It was running at top speed as smooth as can be and then all of a sudden the spring that prevents the motor from flopping around sprung loose. It is a Westinghouse motor Style 1172254 A that attaches to the sewing machine body with two screws through a bracket. There is a rod that attaches the motor to the bracket and it has a nut at one end to adjust the spring tension so that the motor makes contact with the wheel. The spring is not corroded as far as I can see. On the nut end the spring which winds around the rod is attached to the rod with a small screw but the other end of the spring which also has a curl on the end is not attached to anything and I don't know if it is supposed to hook onto something or not. When you tighten the nut on the end of the rod it does tighten the spring which theoretically brings the motor closer to the wheel but the spring snaps right back and won't hold its tension. Does anyone out there know how I can get this spring in the right position again or does anyone know if the spring is supposed to hook onto the bracket or rod some other way that is not apparent to me? I know it's probably staring me in the face but I can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:33 PM

This is a great idea... I inherited my Mom's featherweight..(at least I think it's a featherweight) I have not taken any pics yet... but I will. I can't find any markings on it at all. But it's in beautiful condition. Heck, it almost looks brand new.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Banned

I looked at that San Fransisco Expo one and that's definitely way out of my price range. I will enjoy that one in my dreams. Being a transplanted Texan I'd love one of the Texas State Fair also. Haven't seen one. Didn't know they were out there. And I bet they'd be a small fortune as well.
Yeah right now they are a dream to me too. I have enough going on in my life and I really do not need to be adding major players to the collection quite yet.

So it looks like we will both be dreaming about them right now!!

Billy
Old 08-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Banned

Billy:
I'm going tohave to figure out how I can swing this. I would love to have the 1948 painted orange. How many shades do you have in orange. How would you do the stensils? Maybe in black? Not sure how gold would show up on the orange. How much extra for custom stensils? Just a bunch of questions running around in my head like sugar plums. Also I need to have the centennial serviced. I know you can do them both but we're talking bucks for me to ship both of them to you to paint one and service the other. Scarry and I have to find the money to boot. I was gonna say PM me with your response and I guess you can but I figured everyone else would be curious to your response. Either way, I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks a ton!!! I love your work!!
Well I know about the sugarplums running around in your head bit I have that a lot here lately LOL

There are tons of oranges to go with and the prettiest I have seen is the orange that is on the Chevrolet HHR's They have a nice metallic to them and the black decals would look awesome. I can get the decals in black and gold do its not to complicated and then I will clear over them.

Go look around the car lots or in the parking lots of the shopping centers and see if you see anything you like. I think Nissan has an Orange that looks good to.

But we can work something out dont you fret none!!

Billy
Old 08-08-2010, 08:09 PM

Okay, home and downloaded the photos. Here was my find last week on my birthday no less. 5 machines $50. There are only 4 pictures because one plastic singer in cabinet went straight to Goodwill. Two are at my Mom's house and 2 are at my sisters.

All are still in Nebraska. I could not figure out how to get one in my suitcase and not be over the weight limit. I will work on them when I get back at Christmas.

These are all as brought home pictures. I did get the Dial a stitch wiped down and oiled. It did stitch althought not a very nice stitch. The standard is mostly dust that I did clean off but electrical needs some work before plugging it in. I do not have a foot control for it so needs that if I keep it electric. I had the guy take the Kenmore out of the cabinet as all the legs had been broken off. So it went in his burn pile. And the 503 is locked up but moves just alittle. I am hoping that some oil will loosen it up. It came with a box of cams # 5-11. I need the pins to put the face plate back on.

Dial a stitch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94197[/ATTACH]

Standard DeLuxe
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94198[/ATTACH]

Singer 503 in Cabinet #NC468199
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94199[/ATTACH]

Kenmore Mocel 117552, Serial#55x145698
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94200[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-94192.jpe
Views:	1544
Size:	48.1 KB