Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-08-2010, 08:14 PM

wonder what UPS would charge to ship. It's hard not to have them at home with you, isn't it.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:19 PM

Someone just posted here about buying a vintage on Craig's list and when she received it from Fed-X it was severely damaged.

Be careful with the packing. Over pack like 10 times too much just to be safe.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:31 PM

This is what I did on during vacation. I was not able to get her all the way finished. But she is clean enough my sister said she can come in the house now. The smell was baaaadddd from the critters living in her.

White sewing machine that I have not identified other than Vibrating shuttle (VS) made in 1912 according to the company. The cabinet is a No. 26 I think. I need to do more research. But getting through the cleaning and oiling she turns like a dream. At Christmas I will finish cleaning and polishing. I have to decide if I want to paint the irons and will eventually need to refinish the cabinet as most of the finish is seriously dry and cracked.

The drawers were full of interesting items as shown in the photos. I threw away many spools of elastic, string, trims, and garter hooks that were just too bad to save. But there were 4 bobbins and an extra shuttle and lots of needles. I am not sure if they were all the correct ones for this machine.

As rescued, dirty girl
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94206[/ATTACH]

Home for some mice
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94207[/ATTACH]

Cabinet after 2 applications of lemon oil
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94208[/ATTACH]

Through most of step 2 tutorial of cleaning
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94209[/ATTACH]

chrome pieces cleaned and polished
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94210[/ATTACH]

The attachments look like they were never used
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94211[/ATTACH]

treasure from the drawers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94212[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-94201.jpe
Views:	259
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	94206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-94202.jpe
Views:	257
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	94207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-94203.jpe
Views:	283
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	94208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-94204.jpe
Views:	264
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	94209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-94205.jpe
Views:	239
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	94210  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-94206.jpe
Views:	251
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	94211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-94207.jpe
Views:	158
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	94212  
Old 08-09-2010, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
Holy Moly!!! Did you feel like you stole them? I'd almost feel guilty. They are beautiful. Good job. How could you go wrong for a buck.
Originally Posted by no1jan
I went to a garage sale today and was looking at material. When the woman asked me if I sewed, I told her I was a new quilter and fell into it. I then saw that she had 2 machines and asked how much she wanted. Before I knew it I had 3 boxes of material and craft items and 2 machines for (don't fall over)!!!

$1.00 :thumbup: :thumbup: :D :D :shock: :shock:
Actually I gained a new friend. She wants to come on over to my house and visit with me. We were so much alike she said it was like having a lost sister!

I am still in awe with what I got! Especially the machines. I tried sewing on the 127 and she sews perfectly. She really doesn't need much cleaning, just a little oil.

So not only did I get 2 machines, boxes of material and crafts but a new friend. Sat was my anniversary, I guess this was one of my presents!
Old 08-09-2010, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by quilt addict
Originally Posted by no1jan
I went to a garage sale today and was looking at material. When the woman asked me if I sewed, I told her I was a new quilter and fell into it. I then saw that she had 2 machines and asked how much she wanted. Before I knew it I had 3 boxes of material and craft items and 2 machines for (don't fall over)!!!

$1.00 :thumbup: :thumbup: :D :D :shock: :shock:
Jan, you did great! Remember God blesses those who care for those less fortunate. Enjoy that beautiful machine.

Amen Lisa!!!

And to think she did some of your kinda shopping today my love!! So are you back m vacation and how many more machines did you come home with?

Jan I think you did wonderful and to think that the vast majority of the decals are there! You will love the machine but Miz Johnny is right you will chase that rascal all over the table thats why I am doing the 128 I got from you as a hand crank. And you know I get more complements on that machine!!

Billy
I did get 2 more machines right after vacation. One is a Riccar in the cabinet and one is a Singer newer model which I don't think I am keeping. Neither have any attachments. The Singer has all plastic gears which turned me off. I am planning on selling it for $20.00 which is what I paid for it. I really like the older machines. I don't care that much for the fancy stitches anyway.

The Riccar is down in my basement. After looking at her and getting the 127 yesterday, I don't plan on keeping her either. I was also thinking of asking $20.00 for her. But she needs some cleaning up first. I don't know anything about them, and have enough to learn.

My DH is getting frustrated with all the machines so I guess I will have to get rid of some. These are the two I chose. With the money I get from them I plan on having my 201 re-wired so it is safe. I love the long throat of her.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:45 AM

Jan,
Isn't it wonderful when you find a new friend along with a new sewing machine. I am sure you made her very happy to pass along her sewing machines to someone who will appreciate them. Happy belated anniversary!

Judy
Old 08-09-2010, 04:56 AM

Jan:
You can't beat that with a stick. Machines, fabric and a new friend: All for just a buck! Now if I could get a deal like that I'd run with it and never look back. Great job!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Banned

Lisa you did great and even on vacation you cant get away from the machines can you........

The 500 series were notorious to be a little sticky after sitting around for a while not being used. A hair dryer is the ticket to helping you get it going. Just pop the top off and warm up the innards especially around the motor and hit it with some oil and it should start wanting to work for you.

I love the mouse nest in the White. They had it going on until you showed up!! :lol: :lol: :lol: But that is a beautiful cabinet and the machine looks like it will be really nice once its finished and back together. I love that you have all the bits and pieces that came with the machine and your right the accessories look like they are brand new!!

Sounds like you had a great vacation and a wonderful Birthday!!!

Billy
Old 08-09-2010, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Okay, home and downloaded the photos. Here was my find last week on my birthday no less. 5 machines $50. There are only 4 pictures because one plastic singer in cabinet went straight to Goodwill. Two are at my Mom's house and 2 are at my sisters.

All are still in Nebraska. I could not figure out how to get one in my suitcase and not be over the weight limit. I will work on them when I get back at Christmas.

These are all as brought home pictures. I did get the Dial a stitch wiped down and oiled. It did stitch althought not a very nice stitch. The standard is mostly dust that I did clean off but electrical needs some work before plugging it in. I do not have a foot control for it so needs that if I keep it electric. I had the guy take the Kenmore out of the cabinet as all the legs had been broken off. So it went in his burn pile. And the 503 is locked up but moves just alittle. I am hoping that some oil will loosen it up. It came with a box of cams # 5-11. I need the pins to put the face plate back on.
Lisa I am so glad you had a nice vacation! I hope you find a way to get the machines home. Maybe another vacation but a road trip this time to see the USA and bring home the machines. I can just imagine what you find along the way in machines though. Maybe better a road trip in a UHaul truck? ~smile~ Great you had a such a fun time. I can read it all over your posts. Hugs, Anna
Old 08-09-2010, 08:20 AM

This is really pricey but if I had a Wilson Wheeler sewing machine I would try to bargain with them - never seen one of these before.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/53156525...s%5B1%5D=title