Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-15-2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by Numa
It doesn't sew, but everything moves freely. When you put the throat plate on, it won't do anything. Is that clearer?
Numa
There could possibly be thread wrapped BEHIND the bobbin case. That's the next thing I would check.
We removed the whole assembly and checked there too. I'm stumped but will let you know when we figure it out. Thanks Numa
Old 08-15-2010, 08:18 AM

I have a friend that lives in North Beach and is trying to pick it up for me now. Hope I get it and will give it a good home. Thanks for posting the listing.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
I have a friend that lives in North Beach and is trying to pick it up for me now. Hope I get it and will give it a good home. Thanks for posting the listing.
Good Luck Trish. I hope you get it. That is really a very good price. I wished I lived closer. Oh well, it will be just that much sweeter when I finally do find my little white FW. ;)
Old 08-15-2010, 10:26 AM

Billy and everyone, I just bought a Singer Treadle serial number L1138571 or L1136571 for $5 from a guy that just wanted it gone. It is in terrible shape, most of the decals are wiped off. It is a long bobbin, bobbin winder set low on the machine. The decals were birds -- it looks like it was a knock out beautiful machine at one time. It looks like all the parts are there, but none of the accessaries. The cabinet is wrecked, missing the middle drawer and falling apart. She was destined for the dump -- I had to save her!

Billy or anyone is this a Model 27? Made sometime in 1901?

Thanks you guys!

Nancy
Old 08-15-2010, 10:40 AM

Hi Nancy,
It appears that you are a new owner of a Singer 27. 1 of 39,900 made on Nov. 18th, 1901. Congratulations! Sounds like you have a little work ahead of you but I am sure you'll enjoy the process :)

Judy
Old 08-15-2010, 10:44 AM

Numa,

Do the feeddogs move freely with out the plate, then not when you put it back? Does the needle go straightly through the needle plate?

Remove the bobbin and bobbin case.

Turn the hand whell until the needle is at its highest point.

Replace the bobbin and bobbin case firmly.

See if the top thread will loop the bobbin thread while you hold both thread ends.

If the feeddogs are not fouling on the stitchplate/needle plate cover, I have no other idea.

Aardie.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Banned

Your Singer 66 is a low shank straight stitch machine. The feet used on it depends on the sub-model. 66-1 was a back clamping machine, and will only take back clamping feet. The rest will take any low shank Singer SS feet, often found in those green cardboard boxes with Singer on the top.
The 66-3 was a back clamp machine also.

Billy
Old 08-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by quilterguy27
Originally Posted by Lacelady
I was about to say the same thing, and I think it's relatively easy to get replacement foot pedals
I think so too. I'm going to go to eBay and see what I can find. Basically, I will need everything except the machine itself. I also have to figure out how to repair the case and get the insert for it. But in the meantime, she sews like a dream. I couldn't be happier.
Here's a link for somewhere that seems to sell a lot of stuff for FWs http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland....re/page18.html
I went and looked and OMG! At those prices some of the items cost more than the machine. Think I'm going to pass on that site. I'm not that desperate. Thanks tho for telling me about it. I thought even the S&H was a bit high. I'm going to shop around and see what I can find hopefully a bit less expensive.
Hey Doug and All, I think I can get those buttons for you and I do sell parts for vintage sewing machines now so if your needing anything then I am the one to see.

Let me check and see if I do have the foot pedal buttons they are easy to put in and the pedal is real easy to rewire!

Billy
Old 08-15-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Your Singer 66 is a low shank straight stitch machine. The feet used on it depends on the sub-model. 66-1 was a back clamping machine, and will only take back clamping feet. The rest will take any low shank Singer SS feet, often found in those green cardboard boxes with Singer on the top.
The 66-3 was a back clamp machine also.

Billy
Thanks--I didn't remember that.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Banned

Boy I see everyone has had a really productive weekend so far with finding deals on machines!!!

Lisa you really have my interest peaked there love I am wondering what the surprise is?!?! Those are gorgeous machines and I just love the Jones treadle, the decals look to be perfect!

I found a vintage Kenmore at the thrift store the other day that I am going to list for sale after I clean and service it. It is a 1962 Model 29 and in REALLY nice condition and was not used much in its life. I pulled it from its cabinet and I will sell it as a portable.

But other than that I have not done anything but watch my pupper, watch the pile of sewing machines I need to service grow and trying to keep up with the orders for my new vintage sewing machine parts business!!

Billy