Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-23-2010, 11:42 AM

[quote=BoJangles]
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
$55 dollars for 5 needles???? There is a guy on Treadleon who has found a needle that will work in most WW 9's. The vendor is selling these needles at $24 for 50--I think it would be worth trying!! I have not tried them myself as I bought a lifetime supply of 127x1 when I heard they were being phased out. If you're interested, I will send the contact information. I am not endorsing the vendor or the needles, but think they're worth a try.[/quote

Yes, please I'd like the information! Thank you very much!

Nancy
To all who are interested in the information, I have emailed Kevin directly and asked to quote his Treadleon email word-for-word so there will be no confusion. As soon as I hear back from him, I will share the information.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

You don't have to retime the machine just time the needle in the holder. The correct needle has the flat spot on them and its a no brainer putting one in. The industrial needles are round shank and you have to make sure that the needle is sitting in the needlebar correctly before taking off and sewing. If your not careful you can hurt the hook assembly and then your looking for a parts machine.

But I think I have found a supplier for the needles and I will sell packs of 10 for around $8 to $10 a pack.

Billy
That sounds much more reasonable than $11 a needle!! I did not give much more than that for an original curved needle for my #5.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by leaha
my lttle cuties, Wilcox & Gibbs
Leaha 3 Wilcox and Gibbs kids machines! Geeze, I am jealous! I found a couple of those little cuties at an Antique Eporium here and they wanted an arm and 1/2 a leg for them!

Nancy
LOL these were not kids machines, they were comercial sewing machines used to make cloths back in 1890s with a chain stitch. Ever read or hear the saying about store bought cloths,"pull one thread and it comes apart"? well this is where it came from, these type of machines.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:19 PM

LOL these were not kids machines, they were comercial sewing machines used to make cloths back in 1890s with a chain stitch. Ever read or hear the saying about store bought cloths,"pull one thread and it comes apart"? well this is where it came from, these type of machines.[/quote]

This is why I love this forum, so educational!

Nancy
Old 08-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Banned

Okay just to set the record straight this thread is for everyone that loves the old Vintage Sewing Machines! :D :D :D

There were so many makers of sewing machines during the Patent wars that you can not fathom the amount. I would guess it was around 150 or so maybe more during that time. A lot of badged machines were being done then also.

But Issac Singer built an empire and his machines damn near dominated the world for years until the Japanese finally got their foot in the door after the war. That is why you see so many Singers on this thread. Millions of them were being pumped out of the factories a year even in the late 1800's.

But we have some rather rare machines buried in this thread and the first one that pops into my mind is the American treadle and then the Minnesota that I want to marry in the parlor cabinet. toss in a certain White with the super rare cabinet that is in someones avatar........ :roll: :-D and a few F&R's, W&G's, W&W's.......

Can you see where this is going......:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And where else can you come in and pull up a stool and hang out drinking the laced coffee (at least that what I hear) and eat all of these wonderful deserts!! Which reminds me I sure miss having the Lemon Bars........... :(

So dont ever forget that everyone in here is family and we all love our vintage machines no matter who makes them!!

Billy
Old 08-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hazeljane
Back from vacation with my grandma's treadle machine. I have been searching for the source info without any luck. I have a Minnesota Model A Treadle. The serial number is D1217986. Where can I go to date this machine? I think it is a badged Davis.
I have that information somewhere I just have to figure out where it is...........

Billy
Old 08-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bearlea
I love this idea..and I have a question...I purchased a Singer 99-13 the other day at a yard sale...it certainly does need some TLC for sure..but was wondering if its even worth the investment...you would probably need pictures to know for sure and I will be happy to send them pm if you need...but the cabinet is not worth keeping and if I decide to have this repaired I would want to look for an orginal case for it...I got it cheap so I really can't complain..blessing
Fix it up!!!! I have a really nice 99 that was given to me by a lovely Member here and it was heavily damaged during the shipping. I am fixing it back as we speak! You can not go wrong with that particular machine, smooth running wonderful stitch and best of all parts are easy to get for it.

It is a baby 66........

Billy
Old 08-23-2010, 01:29 PM

[quote=Charlee

The needles you bought should work fine in your 9W... :) The other size to watch for is Boye #18. The number 18 is a style of needle, not the size... :)[/quote]

Thank you Charlee, there are also some Boye 18 needles on e-bay, not as expensive as the 127X1's. I e-mailed the seller and he does not know if these are used needles or new needles. Didn't people of the treadle age keep and sharpen and re-use those needles? The Boye 18 needles come in a little tube thing and there is no way to tell if they are new or old that I can see?

Thoughts?

Nancy
Old 08-23-2010, 01:32 PM

Okay just to set the record straight this thread is for everyone that loves the old Vintage Sewing Machines! :D :D :D

There were so many makers of sewing machines during the Patent wars that you can not fathom the amount. I would guess it was around 150 or so maybe more during that time. A lot of badged machines were being done then also.

But Issac Singer built an empire and his machines damn near dominated the world for years until the Japanese finally got their foot in the door after the war. That is why you see so many Singers on this thread. Millions of them were being pumped out of the factories a year even in the late 1800's.

But we have some rather rare machines buried in this thread and the first one that pops into my mind is the American treadle and then the Minnesota that I want to marry in the parlor cabinet. toss in a certain White with the super rare cabinet that is in someones avatar........ :roll: :-D and a few F&R's, W&G's, W&W's.......

Can you see where this is going......:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And where else can you come in and pull up a stool and hang out drinking the laced coffee (at least that what I hear) and eat all of these wonderful deserts!! Which reminds me I sure miss having the Lemon Bars........... :(

So dont ever forget that everyone in here is family and we all love our vintage machines no matter who makes them!!

Billy
Great post Billy!

Nancy
Old 08-23-2010, 01:43 PM

You don't have to retime the machine just time the needle in the holder. The correct needle has the flat spot on them and its a no brainer putting one in. The industrial needles are round shank and you have to make sure that the needle is sitting in the needlebar [b
correctly[/b] before taking off and sewing. If your not careful you can hurt the hook assembly and then your looking for a parts machine.

But I think I have found a supplier for the needles and I will sell packs of 10 for around $8 to $10 a pack.

Billy
Ok Billy, I am getting pretty good at taking apart and cleaning my treadles per your tutorials, but I am not sure about this needle thing. I would have to have you explain to me what you mean by "just time the needle in the holder."

If I get these round needles, do you mean I would just put one in and test where it hits, keep turning it in tiny increments until the needle hits where it is suppose to hit and not hit the bobbin casing? Or do you mean something much more technical like actually doing something to my machine?

The needle thing scares me. I don't want to hurt my treadles.

Nancy