Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-23-2010, 01:54 PM

Need some help. I am interested in a Singer 241 industrial machine. Think it is an industrial. The lady says it has a manual and some accessories. Haven't found too much info about it. From what I did find, (depending on which model of 241 it is) it will take one of the following needles: 88x1, 16x257, or 16x261. Can't say that I recall any of these needles. Are they hard to get? Where would I get them and are they expensive? Lots of questions. She is asking $250 for the machine. Hoping to get her to come down some. Any help you can give me will be great. Thank you.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:26 PM

Looked at a really old White treadle yesterday. Would take alot of work but all the pieces are there and it's in it's cabinet. They are asking $100.00, is it worth it. sorry, no pics.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:43 PM

I have a Wilcox and Gibs. It is a cute machine mounted on a flat wood base. It swivels on its base, and I have never tried to sew with it. It just gathers dust, but it is on display.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by leaha
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by leaha
my lttle cuties, Wilcox & Gibbs
Leaha 3 Wilcox and Gibbs kids machines! Geeze, I am jealous! I found a couple of those little cuties at an Antique Eporium here and they wanted an arm and 1/2 a leg for them!

Nancy
LOL these were not kids machines, they were comercial sewing machines used to make cloths back in 1890s with a chain stitch. Ever read or hear the saying about store bought cloths,"pull one thread and it comes apart"? well this is where it came from, these type of machines.
No they are not toys. We have 3 machines that chain stitch. Have tried them and they work and just like you said pull the thread and it all comes undone.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-103065.jpe
Views:	502
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	103070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-103066.jpe
Views:	516
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	103071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-103067.jpe
Views:	491
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	103072  
Old 08-23-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
I have a Wilcox and Gibs. It is a cute machine mounted on a flat wood base. It swivels on its base, and I have never tried to sew with it. It just gathers dust, but it is on display.
I love my W & G treadle. I'm looking forward to a time when I have pared down enough "stuff" to sew on it again. I also have a National chain stitch in the basement (rather scattered, as I took it apart to bring it home--probably ten years ago or so--and have never put it back together) and a W & G electric which is now being "fostered" by a friend who's actually sewing on it. All three have their attachments, etc. In addition, I have a beautiful Singer 24, which I have never touched. Ah well--some day!!
Old 08-23-2010, 03:50 PM

I heard back from Kevin Pinkerton, and these are his remarks on the replacement needle for Wheeler and Wilson 9:

There is an ebay seller who I have worked with who sells Organ, Schmetz and GB MY1014 needles. I had him order me some additional sizes and he still has some of them for sale. I told him about these needles and suggested he add some verbiage to them on ebay. So you will see references to Wheeler & Wilson 127x1 needles with Schmetz needles in the photo on ebay. I suggested that he offer them in lots of 10 needles. So he has done that. But he has also listed them in larger quantities, but appeared to set the price higher under the antique listed needles in larger quantities. He does not reference the MY1014 needle identification in the particular needles he has listed for Wheeler & Wilson, but that is what they are. But, he still has the same needles listed under MY1014. His prices are very reasonable, and to be honest, there are very few other places to find these needles on the internet.

I have bought some Organ MY1014 needles from CTSUSA.com and these are fine, and cheap, but they are slightly ball point.

I have bought some Schmetz needles from the ebay seller and they are very sharp point. I have bought some GB needles from the same ebay seller and they are slightly ball point. He also has some Organ needles listed and he says that they do not have the BP on the label so he thinks that they are not ball point. I would tend to agree with him, but I have not bought any of them yet. I have a pretty good stockpile of MY1014 needles now.

The MY1014 needles will work in the W&W #9, W&W #8 and the Weed Family Favorite #3.

I cannot tell you what the difference is, if there is any, between MY1014A and MY1014B.

This is the information from TreadleOn:

I was able to find some very nice Schmetz MY 1014B needles on the internet in size 80. I asked the vendor if he could get me size 75 and size 90 also. These needles are not ball point like the Organ MY 1014B needles are. They are very sharp. It appears that all Organ has is ball points, but they are not very rounded ball point. The vendor was able to get the other sizes Schmetz needles for me. I have successfully used these needles in the W&W D-9, and in the Weed Family Favorite #3. I have been informed by several other onions that these needles work great in the W&W #8 and almost all of the W&W #9s, and just recently in a Elmira (National) which did not like the Boye #14 or 15x1 shank diameters (Thanks Trina). I will say that the MY1014 needle has a longer eye then the Boye #14 and 15x1, but apparently the Elmira did not mind.

The vendor who worked with me on getting these other sizes is Chau Ngo also known as NgoSew and he can be reached at [email protected]. He still has some of these needles in the 75, 80 and 90 sizes and if the interest is there, he will gladly get more.

The MY1014 needle is round shanked and it's shank is smaller then the original needles I have used it to replace. I believe that this needle has great potential for many old machines that need a longer eye and smaller shank then 15x1. This is only my opinion and all of the caveats apply about using anything other then the original needle intended for your antique sewing machine.

That being said, Billy has also said he intends to order needles from different manufacturers and try them out, so hopefully you will be able to order from him soon.

I have NOT tried any of these needles myself, and am just passing on information from another source.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
If I get these round needles, do you mean I would just put one in and test where it hits, keep turning it in tiny increments until the needle hits where it is suppose to hit and not hit the bobbin casing? Or do you mean something much more technical like actually doing something to my machine?

The needle thing scares me. I don't want to hurt my treadles.

Nancy
Okay its really simple if you look at it like this.........

Look at the needlebar from the top and think of it like a compass. The back of the machine is North, the pillar side is East, You sew from the South, and the faceplate is on the West.

You want to time the needle to where the hole runs East-West like they normally do. If the needle is timed a little to the northeast or the southeast it will mess up the hook.

Billy
Old 08-23-2010, 04:45 PM

Thanks so much.
I can't believe how quickly I have become addicted to this side-bar for vintgage machines! It seems everyone is having a great time playing with their finds. Can't wait to start mine.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
Back from vacation with my grandma's treadle machine. I have been searching for the source info without any luck. I have a Minnesota Model A Treadle. The serial number is D1217986. Where can I go to date this machine? I think it is a badged Davis.
Minnesota A was made by both Davis and Domestic. If you can post a picture, we might be able to tell you which one!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Thanks so much.
I can't believe how quickly I have become addicted to this side-bar for vintgage machines! It seems everyone is having a great time playing with their finds. Can't wait to start mine.
It is a wonderful addiction. Dh has joined me and we have the best of times with the vintage machines.