Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-16-2010, 02:57 AM

Linda Star,
It sounds like you've got a good start for a nice herd of machines. :-D
My herd all started innocently enough with a beat up 99K and then branched out to 4 FWs,three 301s, 2 treadles and a few more electric machines. 15 years ago I had one machine, a Bernina 1031. Now I've got 15! not all of them work, but the majority do.
Sharon W.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:51 AM

Linda-

Find Billy's (Lostn51) tutorials about cleaning up old machines. I have my great grandmother's treadle too, but I haven't begun the cleaning process yet. His tutes are amazingly detailed, and there are so many people in this Vintage shop that can help with how-to's and where things go. Welcome. I'm mostly an avid lurker here- I have a couple of vintage machines, and no place to put them.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:06 AM
Banned

If I decide to sell it I will be sure to list it here first. But I have a 301A and a 500A so it only makes since to find a 401A! :lol:

Even though I am not a fan of the emachines I do own a few of them and the only one I use is my Purple Kenmore for sewing buttons on.

Billy
Old 09-16-2010, 06:56 AM

Billy, I think I saw one online last night! Shopgoodwill or CL. I can't remember.

Aardie.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I wish you lived close enough to come and take some HOME with you.
Now that would probably get me in real trouble! But, seriously I love seeing the old machines and learning about them!

Nancy
Old 09-16-2010, 09:30 AM

Well, the belly I bought off of e-bay for my 1901 model 27 came yesterday. The belly fits, but the top drawer does not work. I am hoping my DH can somehow make it work. Still waiting for the side drawer to come. Very disappointing, but the top drawer would actually work on my Model 127's cabinet -- only I don't need a top drawer for that cabinet! Darn!

Nancy
Old 09-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Banned

Hello All!!!

I havent been in the shop that much for trying to keep up with the customers and their machines here. But I tell you what I think I might have met my match!!

I am restoring a members 66-1 and the irons that were painted at sometime in their lives white. And the paint that they used is some type of household paint that is damn near indestructible! :shock:

I took the treadle irons over to my buddies shop and all he does is sand blast and powder coat parts and things. He called and told me that he didnt know what kind of paint that was on it but it was not coming off. So I picked them up and now I am using Aircraft paint stripper and a wire brush, it is working but oh so slow. I have to go get another gallon of the stuff so I can finish the irons up so I can media blast them and then start painting.

Everyone is laughing because they said what ever paint that was used on that machine would be here after a nuclear blast.

Billy
Old 09-16-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Lostn51

I might flip the 301 but not quite sure yet I will know more after a get to cleaning and playing with it. I just do not like the electric machines or as some here knows as an aversion :mrgreen:

Billy
Billy I have a 1901 model 27 that I am redoing. I have a new belly coming, a new top drawer, and one new side drawer. Actually, none of the things I bought off of e-bay to fix this machine's cabinet are new, they are from vintage cabinets like mine!

I need a spool pin and the tension dial is missing the wire thread guide. Do you have those available? It sews just fine, even without the wire thread guide on the tension disk. So I probably could get by without the wire thing. But, I do need a thread pin thing.

This is the one old girl that I just can't bring myself to throw out. She came in terrible shape and looks much better, but still not in good shape. Decals mostly missing.

Nancy
Hi Nancy. Could you show a pic of your Singer 1901, model 27 please ? I think I have one,a 1904 if I m correct, but would know for sure if I saw one. Really would be grateful. This board is really one of the best things I ever found !! I 'm sure you will agree. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Howard

quote]

Hi Nancy. Could you show a pic of your Singer 1901, model 27 please ? I think I have one,a 1904 if I m correct, but would know for sure if I saw one. Really would be grateful. This board is really one of the best things I ever found !! I 'm sure you will agree. Thanks for your help.
Sure, I will take pictures tomorrow, but it doesn't look real good right now. I will post before and during pictures -- it is not done yet! The only difference between the Model 27 and the Model 127 is where the bobbin winder in located. At least that is the case with my two machines. I will post the Model 127 too!

Nancy
Old 09-17-2010, 07:17 AM

Ok Howard here is my Model 27 1901 treadle the way it looked when I saved her -- and the way she looks now.

I have one drawer coming I ordered from e-bay. I bought a belly and center drawer off e-bay also (it doesn't work). I ordered a spool pin from Billy and a spring wire that goes on my tension disk to thread the thread through.

This poor old machine sews perfect.

Notice the bobbin winder is low on the wheel. A model 127 has the bobbin winder high on the wheel.

Nancy

MDL 27 1901 (before cleaning)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94047[/ATTACH]

MDL 27 Cabinet (before cleaning)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94048[/ATTACH]

MDL 27 (now)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94049[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-94042.jpe
Views:	118
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	94047   Click image for larger version