Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-17-2010, 07:19 AM
Banned

Nancy your machine is amazing!! The before and after photos blow me away and I restore them for a living!!

A well done job indeed!!!

Billy
Old 09-17-2010, 07:25 AM

Howard here is my Model 127 1913 Sphinx treadle.

Billy, Miz Johnny, as far as I can tell, the only difference in these two machines is where the bobbin winder is located. Correct?

Nancy

MDL 127
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94177[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-94172.jpe
Views:	84
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	94177  
Old 09-17-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Hello All!!!

I havent been in the shop that much for trying to keep up with the customers and their machines here. But I tell you what I think I might have met my match!!

I am restoring a members 66-1 and the irons that were painted at sometime in their lives white. And the paint that they used is some type of household paint that is damn near indestructible! :shock:

I took the treadle irons over to my buddies shop and all he does is sand blast and powder coat parts and things. He called and told me that he didnt know what kind of paint that was on it but it was not coming off. So I picked them up and now I am using Aircraft paint stripper and a wire brush, it is working but oh so slow. I have to go get another gallon of the stuff so I can finish the irons up so I can media blast them and then start painting.

Everyone is laughing because they said what ever paint that was used on that machine would be here after a nuclear blast.

Billy
Did you try a lye bath Billy? Get a pound of pure lye (you can buy it online at soap making supply sites) and mix it in COLD water in a big tub. Put the water in first, then slowly add the lye to avoid splashing. Put your parts and pieces in there and let em soak. As long as you need to....something in the lye keeps the metal from rusting...I use a lye bath often for my cast iron cookware that I buy gunked up, clean and reseason.... works like a charm and I PROMISE it won't hurt the metal. Just make sure you wear goggles to protect your eyes from splashes, and rubber gloves....lye is wicked mean stuff to be sure!!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:28 AM

Nancy I love your machine, the shuttle machines intimidate me, I have 2 and don't understand how to thread the bobbin or just how to make them work.

Could someone tell me how you clean the bottom iron legs to make them look nice and black?
Old 09-17-2010, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Nancy your machine is amazing!! The before and after photos blow me away and I restore them for a living!!

A well done job indeed!!!

Billy
Billy coming from you, this just put the biggest smile on my face!!!!!

Thank you -- I worked on that old machine for 3 weeks using your cleaning tutorial!

Nancy
Old 09-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Nancy I love your machine, the shuttle machines intimidate me, I have 2 and don't understand how to thread the bobbin or just how to make them work.

Could someone tell me how you clean the bottom iron legs to make them look nice and black?
There are two ways for this you can take boiled linseed oil and soak them in it or you can just repaint them like I am doing a set right now. The legs were japanned from the factory and it was a real durable finish but if you repaint them use either an automotive finish or an epoxy paint. The epoxy you can get in a can at your local hardware store.

Billy
Old 09-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlee
Did you try a lye bath Billy? Get a pound of pure lye (you can buy it online at soap making supply sites) and mix it in COLD water in a big tub. Put the water in first, then slowly add the lye to avoid splashing. Put your parts and pieces in there and let em soak. As long as you need to....something in the lye keeps the metal from rusting...I use a lye bath often for my cast iron cookware that I buy gunked up, clean and reseason.... works like a charm and I PROMISE it won't hurt the metal. Just make sure you wear goggles to protect your eyes from splashes, and rubber gloves....lye is wicked mean stuff to be sure!!
I have about finished the treadle and then machine I have a completely different process of striping them so its all good now but I am going to media blast them to get all of the japan off and start back new.

Billy
Old 09-17-2010, 12:12 PM

I love my treadles! I now have 5 of them, the oldest is a 1898, hand crank/treadle. They all sew perfectly. If you have the shuttle bobbin, just put the bobbin in, hold it still with your finger, pull the thread through the long grove and back up in the middle. Put your bobbin back in the shuttle and pull the thread up like you would any other machine with your needle thread. There are several sites that have the old machine instruction manuals for free on the internet. If you get a manual printed out, that would help you immensely. I have printed out an instruction manual for all my machines -- that is the way I learned the threading, etc..
Old 09-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

Hey everyone, I snagged a 66 Redeye but I don't know how to post pics on this page.
Can anyone help?? Thanks
Old 09-17-2010, 12:14 PM

I love my treadles! I now have 5 of them, the oldest is a 1898, hand crank/treadle. They all sew perfectly. If you have the shuttle bobbin, just put the bobbin in, hold it still with your finger, pull the thread through the long grove and back up in the middle. Put your bobbin back in the shuttle and pull the thread up like you would any other machine with your needle thread. There are several sites that have the old machine instruction manuals for free on the internet. If you get a manual printed out, that would help you immensely. I have printed out an instruction manual for all my machines -- that is the way I learned the threading, etc..

Now, when it comes to treadling -- that is a different issue! You will only become a good treadler with lots of practice! I still struggle a little with that one!

Nancy