Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-17-2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Nancy I love your machine, the shuttle machines intimidate me, I have 2 and don't understand how to thread the bobbin or just how to make them work.

Could someone tell me how you clean the bottom iron legs to make them look nice and black?
I love my treadles! I now have 5 of them, the oldest is a 1898, hand crank/treadle. They all sew perfectly. If you have the shuttle bobbin, just put the bobbin in, hold it still with your finger, pull the thread through the long grove and back up in the middle. Put your bobbin back in the shuttle and pull the thread up like you would any other machine with your needle thread. There are several sites that have the old machine instruction manuals for free on the internet. If you get a manual printed out, that would help you immensely. I have printed out an instruction manual for all my machines -- that is the way I learned the threading, etc..

Now, when it comes to treadling -- that is a different issue! You will only become a good treadler with lots of practice! I still struggle a little with that one!

Nancy
Would anyone have the specific sites for free manuals? I have a Singer 66 treadle. Though I figured out how to thread it and replace the belt, I'd like to have the manual to refer to for basic maintenance. Thanks in advance?
Old 09-17-2010, 12:24 PM

Thanks Lostn51

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Nancy I love your machine, the shuttle machines intimidate me, I have 2 and don't understand how to thread the bobbin or just how to make them work.

Could someone tell me how you clean the bottom iron legs to make them look nice and black?
There are two ways for this you can take boiled linseed oil and soak them in it or you can just repaint them like I am doing a set right now. The legs were japanned from the factory and it was a real durable finish but if you repaint them use either an automotive finish or an epoxy paint. The epoxy you can get in a can at your local hardware store.

Billy
Old 09-17-2010, 12:25 PM

Unfortunately neither of mine is a singer and I doubt I can find manuals for them. they are both very old

I love my treadles! I now have 5 of them, the oldest is a 1898, hand crank/treadle. They all sew perfectly. If you have the shuttle bobbin, just put the bobbin in, hold it still with your finger, pull the thread through the long grove and back up in the middle. Put your bobbin back in the shuttle and pull the thread up like you would any other machine with your needle thread. There are several sites that have the old machine instruction manuals for free on the internet. If you get a manual printed out, that would help you immensely. I have printed out an instruction manual for all my machines -- that is the way I learned the threading, etc..
Old 09-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

What I want to know is where can I find the things I need for this??
And is everything looking pretty good, besides the fact that it needs a good cleaning??
My DH said he'll help me do Billy's cleaning method. I'm terrified of taking it apart!! :D

Thanks for any and all help. I'm pretty excited!!
OH- I need a new belt. It turns but the belt is bad.

The little round thing is for taking out the bobbin
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95412[/ATTACH]

The pretty circle is missing :(
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95415[/ATTACH]

I need a new foot pedal- any advice on getting one like this?? It has to be wired in the motor box I think
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95818[/ATTACH]

I think it's around 1919
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95889[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-95407.jpe
Views:	92
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	95412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-95410.jpe
Views:	76
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	95415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-95752.jpe
Views:	316
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	95757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-95809.jpe
Views:	316
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	95814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-95810.jpe
Views:	319
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	95815  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-95813.jpe
Views:	90
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	95818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-95881.jpe
Views:	322
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	95886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-95884.jpe
Views:	89
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	95889  
Old 09-17-2010, 01:30 PM

Howard here is my Model 127 1913 Sphinx treadle.

Billy, Miz Johnny, as far as I can tell, the only difference in these two machines is where the bobbin winder is located. Correct?

Nancy
There are a few small differences, but as soon as I list them, someone will come up with a machine that's different!!
127 has the ejector button for the shuttle, 27 does not. Because there's a groove for the ejector on the 127, you can use the 127 shuttle in a 27, but not a 27 shuttle in the 127. The older 27 machines have a slightly thicker hand wheel. The decals change over the years as well; there are many decals found on the 27, most of the 127 machines I've found over the years have had Sphinx decals. Hmn--what have I missed??
Old 09-17-2010, 01:31 PM

Unfortunately neither of mine is a singer and I doubt I can find manuals for them. they are both very old
What are they--there's always a chance one of us has a manual!!
Old 09-17-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by greaterexp

Would anyone have the specific sites for free manuals? I have a Singer 66 treadle. Though I figured out how to thread it and replace the belt, I'd like to have the manual to refer to for basic maintenance. Thanks in advance?
Try here:

http://www.singermachines.co.uk/indstbooks.htm
Old 09-17-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Duh, I figured it out!
Looks like it has a motor boss and would make a fine hand crank. I'm with Billy; I don't much care for a machine with a tail.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Duh, I figured it out!
Looks like it has a motor boss and would make a fine hand crank. I'm with Billy; I don't much care for a machine with a tail.
I don't know what you mean by motor boss :D You mean, it has a motor, right?? hee hee
I want to keep it. I'm just getting into vintage machines and treadles are a way off for me :D
Old 09-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by greaterexp
pm me with your email address and I will email you a bunch of Singer 66 manuals.