Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-26-2010, 09:18 PM
JAM

Thanks Billy, My hubby just ordered a universal low shank walking foot for me off the internet. Can't wait :-D Have another question for you. Have a Sears Kenmore Model 1430 zig zag machine. When the foot pedal is used the motor runs but the needle moves not at all or very slowly. Was told to put a phone book on pedal and let it run (15/20 min)when I got it to loosen up the oil.Smelled like it had been over oiled. Hubby said the motor didn't get hot but the wheel on the outside wasn't turning. Any advice will be welcome. Thanks again for your help, Jeanne
Old 09-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Banned

Okay I will post some photos of a machine and treadle I am working on for a customer. Actually this is just the treadle and it used to be white and was painted with house hold paint from the good old days so you know its full of lead!

So after 2 gallons of paint stripper and 50lb bag of black beauty in the media blaster this is what she came out looking like.

Billy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-108750.jpe
Views:	739
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	108755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-108751.jpe
Views:	564
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	108756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-108752.jpe
Views:	597
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	108757  
Old 09-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JAM
Thanks Billy, My hubby just ordered a universal low shank walking foot for me off the internet. Can't wait :-D Have another question for you. Have a Sears Kenmore Model 1430 zig zag machine. When the foot pedal is used the motor runs but the needle moves not at all or very slowly. Was told to put a phone book on pedal and let it run (15/20 min)when I got it to loosen up the oil.Smelled like it had been over oiled. Hubby said the motor didn't get hot but the wheel on the outside wasn't turning. Any advice will be welcome. Thanks again for your help, Jeanne
Sounds like it needs a good servicing to me. Take the top of the machine off and open the faceplate to expose the needlebar and presserfoot bar and see if it needs a good cleaning. Take a brush and brush away any lint that may be there and if it is greasy you can take a small paint brush and some kerosene and clean the inside of the machine.

If it is not greasy and grimy take a hair drier and warm up the parts in the machine and get you sewing machine oil and put a drop or two on anything that moves and touches metal to metal. Plug the machine in and run it with everything open so you can oil and watch what is happening. Be sure to clean the lint out of the feed dogs (remove the plates for that) and the underside of the machine and oil it up also.

Billy
Old 09-27-2010, 04:44 AM

It was a great weekend. We went up north by Bob's niece on Friday. On the way up, we stopped at a rummage sale. Found a Wheeler & Wilson D-9 for $5. The serial number is: 2536978. That ended up in the van. It just jumped right in there.

Niece's husband went to a guys house to pick up some scrap metal, he saw an old machine sitting there, and the guy told him to scrap it. Nephew told him that his wife's aunt (me) collects old sewing machines. Guy told him to just take it and do what he wanted with it then. He brought it to his house. Got that loaded in the back of the van. Came back on Saturday. This one is a Domestic treadle. Serial number: 1070518.

On the way home we stopped at an antique store and I found a Minnesota with an L on the side. Paid a whopping $16 for it. Serial number is: 1130057N.

All 3 machines need a good cleaning, but, I'm happy to have them.

Can anyone tell me where I can find manuals for these machines and possibly what date they were made? I really have to stop getting machines. Running out of room. Do we really need the sofa in the living room? Hmmmmmmm. Something to think about.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Laura
Old 09-27-2010, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by laura59
It was a great weekend. We went up north by Bob's niece on Friday. On the way up, we stopped at a rummage sale. Found a Wheeler & Wilson D-9 for $5. The serial number is: 2536978. That ended up in the van. It just jumped right in there.

Niece's husband went to a guys house to pick up some scrap metal, he saw an old machine sitting there, and the guy told him to scrap it. Nephew told him that his wife's aunt (me) collects old sewing machines. Guy told him to just take it and do what he wanted with it then. He brought it to his house. Got that loaded in the back of the van. Came back on Saturday. This one is a Domestic treadle. Serial number: 1070518.

On the way home we stopped at an antique store and I found a Minnesota with an L on the side. Paid a whopping $16 for it. Serial number is: 1130057N.

All 3 machines need a good cleaning, but, I'm happy to have them.

Can anyone tell me where I can find manuals for these machines and possibly what date they were made? I really have to stop getting machines. Running out of room. Do we really need the sofa in the living room? Hmmmmmmm. Something to think about.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Laura
Geeze am I reading this right? You got 3 treadles for $21? I thought I found the best deals on this group! LOL!!!! Nobody around here gives treadles away!

Please post pictures!

Nancy
Old 09-27-2010, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

I will have to go out there and look at mine, its in the Studio. The ones that were made out of left over W&W stock all have W in front of the number. If it is just a number then you have a Singer cast machine. But this was a short lived machine for the fact of that none of the parts interchanged with anything else Singer had. If you notice a lot of the parts that fit a 1906 Singer will fit a 1956 Singer and later. The engineers made sure of the interchangeability of the parts between different models that they made.

Billy
Ok, Billy or Miz Johnny please explain. Neither my machine nor Beth's machine has a W in front of the serial number? What do you mean by a "Singer Cast Machine?" I know mine is a Singer Model 9W. I am almost positive Beth's is also. My machine looks exactly like a Wheeler @ Wilson and is the picture of the Singer 9W so what does a 'cast' machine mean? I looked at the serial number list for Singer and it says serial numbers with a 'W' started in 1911?

So Billy are you saying that if you have a Singer made out of left over Wheeler & Wilson parts, they have parts available, but if you have a Singer 'cast' machine the parts are not interchangeable? Sorry, but I am confused and intrigued by all this information, besides I want to know what my machine is as this 9W is my favorite machine! Although, I love all 6 of my treadles!

Nancy
Old 09-27-2010, 05:56 AM

Geeze am I reading this right? You got 3 treadles for $21? I thought I found the best deals on this group! LOL!!!! Nobody around here gives treadles away!

Please post pictures!

Nancy[/quote]

The Domestic is in the treadle cabinet. The Wheeler & Wilson and Minnesota are in cases. The cases are not in very good shape. Will post pics later today. Have a dr appointment in a little while. Total cost for all 3 machines - $21.

The guy selling the Minnesota had a price tag of $23 on it. I told Bob that I would not go any higher than $20. I asked the guy what the lowest he would go would be. He told me $18. Hmmmm. I told him that I would give him $15. He said $17. I said that I really don't need the machine that bad. He said okay, how about $16, but, I'd really like $17. I told him that $16 would be good. Sold. The guy turned around and said to Bob, boy, your wife drives a hard bargain. When we left, Bob said, I thought you were willing to pay $20? I told him that I was, but, since the guy came down to $18, thought I would see how low he would really go.

Got to get ready to go to the doctor.

Laura
Old 09-27-2010, 07:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Ok, Billy or Miz Johnny please explain. Neither my machine nor Beth's machine has a W in front of the serial number? What do you mean by a "Singer Cast Machine?" I know mine is a Singer Model 9W. I am almost positive Beth's is also. My machine looks exactly like a Wheeler @ Wilson and is the picture of the Singer 9W so what does a 'cast' machine mean? I looked at the serial number list for Singer and it says serial numbers with a 'W' started in 1911?

So Billy are you saying that if you have a Singer made out of left over Wheeler & Wilson parts, they have parts available, but if you have a Singer 'cast' machine the parts are not interchangeable? Sorry, but I am confused and intrigued by all this information, besides I want to know what my machine is as this 9W is my favorite machine! Although, I love all 6 of my treadles!

Nancy
The "W" series will not apply to the W9 if I am right. It was just the first batch of W9's that were made out of left over parts that had the W on them. When the ones made from Singer stock were plain.

I might be wrong on this one I need to check before I set it in stone but maybe Johnny has some insight to this one.

Billy
Old 09-27-2010, 07:04 AM

I've taken a couple pictures of my machine and attachments. I really would like to know what the 2 big attachments are. I found 1 needle left in a 3 pack that has 127x1, size 16 on it and a small torn piece of the manual.

Missing 1 drawer knob
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111025[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-110540.jpe
Views:	581
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	110545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-110869.jpe
Views:	570
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	110874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-111020.jpe
Views:	266
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	111025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-111021.jpe
Views:	643
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	111026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-111022.jpe
Views:	529
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	111027  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-111023.jpe
Views:	651
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	111028  
Old 09-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Banned

Very nice Beth!!!!

My bobbin is completely different than yours and I am not sure you can interchange them. There were early and late versions of the machine and I think my machine has the W&W bobbin assembly from the left over parts. It looks like a Bagel (rounded sides and real tight opening).

Billy