Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-28-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by laura59
Do you know where I can find some info on the Wheeler & Wilson? I'd like to find out an approximate year it was made. Also, would like to find a manual for it. Might help if I knew how to thread it also. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Laura
Laura if Miz Johnny gets on line, she can give you all that information. I posted a link the other day to Beth on where to find a manual for her 9W if you look back a couple pages on this forum. They thread really different -- the main thing is you go all the way around the tension disk -- not just down one side. And the Wheeler & Wilson's wheel goes backwards to a Singer's wheel.

Nancy
You guys are crediting me with a lot more memory than I have!! I really don't know anything about dating a WW; I usually just choose to phone a friend!!
Needlebar used to have this wonderful program where you just input the machine manufacturer and model # into the program, and an approximate date popped out. I miss it!! They also published a Needle Book, which gave the needle size for each machine. Sadly, it has never been reprinted. I think there was a rash of "This is wrong" types of comments, much like you hear over Charles Law's books. ANY TIME you are dealing with that much information from that long ago, there are going to be mistakes!! We should accept that, and be grateful for any information we can get!!
Old 09-28-2010, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I have a question on what the abbreviations mean from the Singer site.
These were copied from the site as examples.
I understand that K stands for hand-crank.
F-
15K C.S.
January-June
C.S.

What does the C.S. stand for after 15K C.S. ?
F-
23- Cloth.
January-June
CLOTH

And sometimes after the year it will state "cloth". What does that mean?

F-
January-June
R

And, what does the R stand for?

Thank you.

Does anyone know what the abbreviations stand for?
K stands for the place of manufacture--Kilbowie, Scotland. C. S. might stand for cylindrical (or central?) shuttle, but not sure about that.
Cloth--probably cloth as opposed to leather (shoe or harness) sewing. R--probably R series.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:05 PM

K stands for the place of manufacture--Kilbowie, Scotland. C. S. might stand for cylindrical (or central?) shuttle, but not sure about that.
Cloth--probably cloth as opposed to leather (shoe or harness) sewing. R--probably R series.[/quote]

Thank you Miz Johnny!
Old 09-28-2010, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Needlebar used to have this wonderful program where you just input the machine manufacturer and model # into the program, and an approximate date popped out. I miss it!! They also published a Needle Book, which gave the needle size for each machine. Sadly, it has never been reprinted. I think there was a rash of "This is wrong" types of comments, much like you hear over Charles Law's books. ANY TIME you are dealing with that much information from that long ago, there are going to be mistakes!! We should accept that, and be grateful for any information we can get!!
Amen to that!

Nancy
Old 09-28-2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I will leave a message for Alan but he is doing this to weed out the folks that steal information from the site and use it as there own research.

Billy
Billy what do you mean? Are you referring to people that take information and sell it -- profit from the information somehow? Anyone can get into Needlebar and access information, you don't have to be a member to access informaton.

Nancy
Old 09-28-2010, 07:19 PM

I will leave a message for Alan but he is doing this to weed out the folks that steal information from the site and use it as there own research.

Billy
I am literally locked out. The site recognizes my email address but tells me my user name is inactive. I would like to activate it, but the site does not give me that option.
Appreciate your help.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Icandothat

Billy
I am literally locked out. The site recognizes my email address but tells me my user name is inactive. I would like to activate it, but the site does not give me that option.
Appreciate your help.
I am not a member, and never have been. I think you just have to be a member to participate in forums, right??
Old 09-29-2010, 04:07 AM

Very fun idea Billy, we already have your Serial number. If you know yours is a 1910, now you have Beth's Serial #3149690, my Serial # 3171412! I know Miz Johnny has some 9W's too! We have a good start!

Nancy
Billy if you know your machine is a 1910, are Beth and my machine's newer or older than yours?

Nancy
I will have to go out there and look at mine, its in the Studio. The ones that were made out of left over W&W stock all have W in front of the number. If it is just a number then you have a Singer cast machine. But this was a short lived machine for the fact of that none of the parts interchanged with anything else Singer had. If you notice a lot of the parts that fit a 1906 Singer will fit a 1956 Singer and later. The engineers made sure of the interchangeability of the parts between different models that they made.

Billy
I believe I just found another one on page 177 posted by Darcene with serial number 3138585.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:41 AM

OK, so this morning I couldn't contain my curiosity any longer and decided to see what my other machines are.
1. Singer 237, was my mom's machine altho she never used it. I used it alot when I was young. She bought it to replace a black portable Singer that didn't work any longer. Sure wish she kept that one too.
2. JCPenney 6401. The 1st machine that I ever bought. Purchased in 1975. I couldn't find anything about it online but didn't look too hard.
Both of these machines are complete and work and are clean too!
3. White model 565 in a cabinet. Was my mother in law's. Paperwork says she bought it 4-22-1966. I've never tried to use it, it's been hanging around here for years!
Waiting on my belt for the 9W Singer. After I get that one cleaned and running I'll start working on the others if needed.
Beth
Old 09-29-2010, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysJustBeth

Very fun idea Billy, we already have your Serial number. If you know yours is a 1910, now you have Beth's Serial #3149690, my Serial # 3171412! I know Miz Johnny has some 9W's too! We have a good start!

Nancy
Billy if you know your machine is a 1910, are Beth and my machine's newer or older than yours?

Nancy
I will have to go out there and look at mine, its in the Studio. The ones that were made out of left over W&W stock all have W in front of the number. If it is just a number then you have a Singer cast machine. But this was a short lived machine for the fact of that none of the parts interchanged with anything else Singer had. If you notice a lot of the parts that fit a 1906 Singer will fit a 1956 Singer and later. The engineers made sure of the interchangeability of the parts between different models that they made.

Billy
I believe I just found another one on page 177 posted by Darcene with serial number 3138585.
ok fast forward more pages and I see it was sent to you. I'm only to page 196!!!