Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Texas is beautiful, but this quilt is not >

Texas is beautiful, but this quilt is not

Texas is beautiful, but this quilt is not

Old 04-17-2010, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by grammypatty7
Originally Posted by lots2do
My Mom wouldn't agree as she always said we should NEVER be proud; others should be proud for us but we should NEVER be proud. Well tough. I'm proud of the work I do and it's ok and you should also be proud of the work you do.

Grammypatty - thank you for your words (posted above). I grew up with a similar Mom. When I was younger, I painted and she told me that real artists don't put their own work up around their houses, it showed that they were proud. Guess how long it took me to hang a quilted wallhanging in this house...much too long.

I quilt mainly for me and I want to have some of this stuff around me. It makes me happy.

By the way, love the Texas quilt. Looks impecably (hope I spelled that right) made.
I think that was just part of that generation. When I first married, my inlaws were very upset with me because I'd embroider or knit on Sundays and that's a huge no no. That's the Lord's Day and we were to spend the day focusing on the Lord. I do agree with that but I also believe he is present in my life in all things that I do. I'm not just a Christian Sunday only but every day of my life and in all things I do. Back then we weren't to be proud or consider ourselves pretty etc. That was just the way and somewhere along the way, things changed and it's ok to be proud of our accomplishments, to feel we look nice etc. but of course we are not to boast about our talents or how pretty we are. There is a fine line. I'm glad you are able to have your pretty creations around you to enjoy and yes you definitely should display them. I remember being told not to display family pictures outside of the bedroom as they were private and only proud people displayed them publicly. My Mother displayed family photos in the living room and I liked that and so I do have photos on display and most people like to see them. Different people, different faiths, different values and different customs but that's ok.

Enjoy your creative treasures as that's what they are. Aren't we lucky that times have changed.
Hugs
Patty
Genesis 1:31 Even God thought His work was very good... that's being proud by man's standard.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:26 AM

why is this a disappointment? I think nit is great.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Leota
Originally Posted by grammypatty7
Originally Posted by lots2do
My Mom wouldn't agree as she always said we should NEVER be proud; others should be proud for us but we should NEVER be proud. Well tough. I'm proud of the work I do and it's ok and you should also be proud of the work you do.

Grammypatty - thank you for your words (posted above). I grew up with a similar Mom. When I was younger, I painted and she told me that real artists don't put their own work up around their houses, it showed that they were proud. Guess how long it took me to hang a quilted wallhanging in this house...much too long.

I quilt mainly for me and I want to have some of this stuff around me. It makes me happy.

By the way, love the Texas quilt. Looks impecably (hope I spelled that right) made.
I think that was just part of that generation. When I first married, my inlaws were very upset with me because I'd embroider or knit on Sundays and that's a huge no no. That's the Lord's Day and we were to spend the day focusing on the Lord. I do agree with that but I also believe he is present in my life in all things that I do. I'm not just a Christian Sunday only but every day of my life and in all things I do. Back then we weren't to be proud or consider ourselves pretty etc. That was just the way and somewhere along the way, things changed and it's ok to be proud of our accomplishments, to feel we look nice etc. but of course we are not to boast about our talents or how pretty we are. There is a fine line. I'm glad you are able to have your pretty creations around you to enjoy and yes you definitely should display them. I remember being told not to display family pictures outside of the bedroom as they were private and only proud people displayed them publicly. My Mother displayed family photos in the living room and I liked that and so I do have photos on display and most people like to see them. Different people, different faiths, different values and different customs but that's ok.

Enjoy your creative treasures as that's what they are. Aren't we lucky that times have changed.
Hugs
Patty
Genesis 1:31 Even God thought His work was very good... that's being proud by man's standard.
Yes it is.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:13 PM

I think this is a great quilt!
Old 09-29-2010, 04:28 AM

Your quilt is beautiful. It's a treasure most of all because you made it yourself as a gift to your husband.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Great quilt! Neat fabrics too! If your hubby likes it, then he will enjoy it. You can always make another in the future.
Nice job!!
Old 09-29-2010, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

hey i'm a Texan and love that quilt!!!! don't fret, it just didn't turn out how you thought it should. but it's wonderful and i'm sure he loves it as he says he does. I would!!
Old 09-29-2010, 07:11 AM

If you dont like all the beige, why dont you couch a saying onto it. I could see Dont mess with Texas in script with one word in each corner. They make that premade bias in different colors.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:14 AM

This is an awesome quilt!!! I love it!

You know we are our own worst critic, right? We see what we believe is wrong with our own creations, but what the recipient sees is all the love that you have put into it. I would take it in a heartbeat!!!!! : )
Old 09-29-2010, 06:43 PM

Omagosh! Love it! Another proud Texan here!