Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-29-2010, 05:54 AM

[quote=AlwaysJustBeth]
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by BoJangles

Very fun idea Billy, we already have your Serial number. If you know yours is a 1910, now you have Beth's Serial #3149690, my Serial # 3171412! I know Miz Johnny has some 9W's too! We have a good start!

Nancy
Billy if you know your machine is a 1910, are Beth and my machine's newer or older than yours?

Nancy
I believe I just found another one on page 177 posted by Darcene with serial number 3138585.
Wow, Ok Billy we are waiting for you to look at the serial number on your 9W to see if our machines are older than 1910 -- which I bet they are somewhere between 1905 when Singer took over Wheeler & Wilson and 1910 when Singer stopped using Wheeler & Wilson parts!

This last machine is older than both Beth's and mine. It looks from the picture to be in pretty good shape too -- that is once it is cleaned up!

Nancy
Old 09-29-2010, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysJustBeth

I believe I just found another one on page 177 posted by Darcene with serial number 3138585.

ok fast forward more pages and I see it was sent to you. I'm only to page 196!!!
Billy is Beth saying that 9W was sent to you? Is that the 9W you have? If that is the case, ours are 1910 or later?

Nancy
Old 09-29-2010, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by Icandothat
I will leave a message for Alan but he is doing this to weed out the folks that steal information from the site and use it as there own research.

Billy
I am literally locked out. The site recognizes my email address but tells me my user name is inactive. I would like to activate it, but the site does not give me that option.
Appreciate your help.
I am not a member, and never have been. I think you just have to be a member to participate in forums, right??
When I try to read a post on the forum, I get a message saying I have to login. When I try to log in, I get a message saying my username is inactive. So, I cannot read any of the posts. Is there an informational part of the site? I will check it out and look around. Thanks. I just tried again and cannot access any of the area. The message is that I need to log in....and I cannot.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Banned

I will leave a message for Alan but he is doing this to weed out the folks that steal information from the site and use it as there own research.

Billy
Billy what do you mean? Are you referring to people that take information and sell it -- profit from the information somehow? Anyone can get into Needlebar and access information, you don't have to be a member to access informaton.

Nancy
They take information and research off of the site and print it in book form and claiming its their research and will not recognize the NB as the source of information. Everything on the site including photos, manuals, production figures and dates are copyrighted.

Billy
Old 09-29-2010, 09:08 AM
Banned

ok fast forward more pages and I see it was sent to you. I'm only to page 196!!!
Billy is Beth saying that 9W was sent to you? Is that the 9W you have? If that is the case, ours are 1910 or later?

Nancy
That is my 9W.

Billy
Old 09-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

Billy, my long awaited 222K just arrived from the UK. The seller stated that it was working, but it is missing the bobbin case. I can get replacement (new) ones on ebay, but you don't happen to have a vintage one tucked away in one of your nooks or crannies do you? The sellers listing them on ebay will only send to the USA or Canada.

Otherwise, what is your opinion on the new versions?

I am incredibly lucky that this machine arrived in what appears to be OK condition, it was so badly packed, you would all have fits if you had seen how little packaging there was. Also, the little round feet on the foot pedal need replacing. Three of them seem to have melted and welded themselves onto the bottom of the pedal. Do you have those too?
Old 09-29-2010, 01:15 PM

Lesley,
Is your 222 is good shape and survived its ordeal?
Old 09-29-2010, 01:23 PM

That is my 9W.

Billy
Wow, we have a start! Billy knows his 9W is a 1910 model. His serial number of 3138585, (actually I think it is 3138385 according to Needlebar) Beth's machine #3149690, and my machine #3171412 have only a 22,827 difference. Normally, I think that small of a spread would mean all 3 machines were made about 1910 based on Billy's 1910 9W.

It intrigues me that Singer did not do the serial numbers the same on the 9W's as the other machines they made? I did some research and found Billy's 9W on Needlebar. Needlebar also explains that when Singer took over the Wheeler & Wilson Bridgeport factory they used the Wheeler & Wilson parts to make a batch of machines. Those machines had a '"W" (like Billy said) in front of the number. I guess after that Singer just made their own version, which they called the Singer 9W, using the exact same specs as the Wheeler & Wilson machines. Why Singer did not list those serial numbers, nor even use the serial numbers like the rest of the Singer machines with a letter in front -- I don't understand. I searched far and wide and can't find anything to explain what the reasoning was to made a Singer 9W and not log the serial numbers like all the rest of their machines? From what I can gather Singer only made these Singer 9W's until about 1913 or 14 when they started mass producing the 66's.

Billy, Miz Johnny, Charlee, can you explain the lack of documentation on the 9W's? They seem to be the orphan child of Singer.

Nancy
Old 09-29-2010, 01:32 PM

That is my 9W.

Billy
Wow, we have a start! Billy knows his 9W is a 1910 model. His serial number of 3138585, (actually I think it is 3138385 according to Needlebar) Beth's machine #3149690, and my machine #3171412 have only a 22,827 difference. Normally, I think that small of a spread would mean all 3 machines were made about 1910 based on Billy's 1910 9W.

Getting bummed now, lol!! My machine might not be an antique anymore if it newer than 1910!! But really tho, in the last few days I have found out more about it than I ever thought I would from this shop. My new belt arrived today but have class tonight so I didn't start playing. Tomorrow!!
Beth

It intrigues me that Singer did not do the serial numbers the same on the 9W's as the other machines they made? I did some research and found Billy's 9W on Needlebar. Needlebar also explains that when Singer took over the Wheeler & Wilson Bridgeport factory they used the Wheeler & Wilson parts to make a batch of machines. Those machines had a '"W" (like Billy said) in front of the number. I guess after that Singer just made their own version, which they called the Singer 9W, using the exact same specs as the Wheeler & Wilson machines. Why Singer did not list those serial numbers, nor even use the serial numbers like the rest of the Singer machines with a letter in front -- I don't understand. I searched far and wide and can't find anything to explain what the reasoning was to made a Singer 9W and not log the serial numbers like all the rest of their machines? From what I can gather Singer only made these Singer 9W's until about 1913 or 14 when they started mass producing the 66's.

Billy, Miz Johnny, Charlee, can you explain the lack of documentation on the 9W's? They seem to be the orphan child of Singer.

Nancy
Old 09-29-2010, 01:34 PM

That is my 9W.

Billy

Getting bummed now, lol!! My machine might not be an antique anymore if it newer than 1910!! But really tho, in the last few days I have found out more about it than I ever thought I would from this shop. My new belt arrived today but have class tonight so I didn't start playing. Tomorrow!!
Beth

Nancy
This board confuses me. My last post ended up in the middle of the last quote section. I'll figure this out!
Beth