Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-02-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

I have two treadles: one with a 201 that I use for piecing and straight stitching (walking foot) for quilting, and one with a 15-90 that I dropped the feed-dogs and now use only for free-motion quilting. That last treadle had a Lotus 66 from 1907 in it, but I moved that head into a bentwood box after reading that free-motion quilting on a 15-90/91 is the best on the vintage Singers.
Billy I don't know what a 15-90/91 is? I am looking at my Model 15 Manual and it lists a 15-31, 15-33, 15-35, and 15-36.
It seems all these machines had different feed dogs. The 15-31 had a drop feed, the 15-33 had a wheel feed, the 15-35 had a drop feed, and the 15-36 had a wheel feed and a trimming attachment.

I not sure which Model 15 I have or what a 15-90/91 is? My Model 15 is my 'newest' treadle as it is a 1939 model.

I am trying to figure out how to drop the feed dogs and it looks like you have to loosen a lock nut. This looks scary to me because the manual then talks about how 'to time the feeding mechanism" so that the feed dog or feed wheel finishes its feeding movement when the thread take-up lever is at its highest point.

Billy does dropping the feed dogs mean I will have to re-time them to get them working right again?

Nancy
Old 10-02-2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by AlwaysJustBeth
Hi Nancy, As I was reading the manual for the 9W, (page 5 in part 2) it talks about adjusting the feed dog and how to raise and lower it. Not sure if it would lower enough to FMQ but would be cool if it did.

YOu can adjust the feed dogs on most of the singers and you can possibly drop them low enough for FMQ but I wouldn't recommend it. It is not the most fun thing to do adjusting the feed dogs!

Billy
Ok Billy and Beth, I do want to FMQ on one of my treadles. I think that would be so cool too Beth! But, now I am afraid to try dropping those feed dogs.

Billy, is there a vintage treadle that you know of, maybe the 201, that actually had an easy way to lower the feed dogs? I want to do a Halloween 'cheater' panel quilt just to practice FMQing with one of my treadles.

I have the Singer 9W, a 127, Model 15, 27, 28, and a 66. Which one of those would you attempt to FMQ with?

I have heard of people taping a credit card over the feed dogs. What would that do to the feed dogs?

Nancy
Old 10-02-2010, 05:54 PM

i found my husbands gma's old treadle in a shed with major cabinet damage any info would be SSSOOO appreciated. machne inside i think way back behind junk, will try to get to. email [email protected]
Old 10-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Billy I don't know what a 15-90/91 is? I am looking at my Model 15 Manual and it lists a 15-31, 15-33, 15-35, and 15-36.
It seems all these machines had different feed dogs. The 15-31 had a drop feed, the 15-33 had a wheel feed, the 15-35 had a drop feed, and the 15-36 had a wheel feed and a trimming attachment.

I not sure which Model 15 I have or what a 15-90/91 is? My Model 15 is my 'newest' treadle as it is a 1939 model.

I am trying to figure out how to drop the feed dogs and it looks like you have to loosen a lock nut. This looks scary to me because the manual then talks about how 'to time the feeding mechanism" so that the feed dog or feed wheel finishes its feeding movement when the thread take-up lever is at its highest point.

Billy does dropping the feed dogs mean I will have to re-time them to get them working right again?

Nancy
No you will not have to re-time anything it should be a thumb screw to loosen it to your left if you looking at the underside of the machine. it will drop them and to raise them you just tighten it back up. I will take a photo of mine to show you what they look like.

Billy
Old 10-02-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by AlwaysJustBeth
Hi, I hope no one is getting tired of me talking about this same machine (9W) over and over again. It's the only one I have & no plans for more right now. I'm planning on moving to FL in the next year and want to pack light. Then I may get in trouble!

Billy or anyone else, I have a question about these wires hanging on the machine and base. I don't know if they are supposed to be there.
The 1st is above the needle bar and am not sure if it is part of the threading path?
The second is below the place where the belt passes thru on the metal base.

Sorry I don't know the correct terminology. I wish there was a parts glossary somewhere.

Thanks, Beth

Here are the pictures:
Beth, the first wire is part of 'the threading path' and the second wire is part of the release mechanism that releases the belt for lowering the treadle.

The second wire should not be sticking out like that though. My wire is neatly wrapped around that release thingy.

Billy could answer these questions better than I can.

Nancy
Old 10-03-2010, 02:40 AM

[quote=BoJangles]
Originally Posted by watterstide
Originally Posted by dunster
From http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_2letter.html
1. AE-064.366 to AE-365.140 were made in 1936

But from http://www.singerco.com/pdf/SINGER_AE_nos.pdf
2. AE- 699591 749590 15 50000 November 4 1937
15 is the (Model No.)

Do you understand this??
And, what does 'allocated' mean? They could not have manufactured 50,000 machines on Nov 4th!! No way! loll"

I believe what he was saying, is his number AE721278,

so the second set of numbers is what his machine actually falls under? thanks
His machine was actually made November 4 1937.

Thanks ! i will let him know.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by goonberrie
i found my husbands gma's old treadle in a shed with major cabinet damage any info would be SSSOOO appreciated. machne inside i think way back behind junk, will try to get to. email [email protected]
Goonberrie, once you get the machine dug out, send a picture or describe the machine to us! Good Luck!

Nancy
Old 10-03-2010, 05:49 AM

Also, a manual for a "white - 1995" says to oil the machine every day..is that what everyone does? ( with the older machines..)

Correction:

i mean 1983 . it is a "White 511". can't find much on it. have the receipt and the original book. i found a newpaper clipping/advertising with it calling it a "WHITE-J-FIVE" .
do you think this is one of those "deals" you see in the paper occasionally, factory closeout. that are not exactly what they seem?
Most older sewing machines, and some of the newer ones want you to oil very lightly once a day. My Pfaff Grand Quilter says to oil the machine once a day "if you use the machine frequently." I also have an HQ16 long arm that says to oil that machine every time you change the bobbin.

I would do what the manual says, but very lightly and only where the manual tells you to oil. It is also very important to keep the machine clean, feed dogs get really gummed up, especially when you use the machine alot.

Nancy
Old 10-03-2010, 10:15 AM

I will pass the info on Nancy. "Gregg" the guy with the feather weight, i posted pictures of,has this machine also..he has another one too, not sure what it is yet..lol His mother passed, and these are what she left for him. I hope he keeps and cherishes the Feather weight..! He wants to learn how to sew...so cool! Thanks!
Old 10-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

Billy I can't find the Scott's Liquid Gold that you have pictured in your tute. I got the spray and it doesn't seem to be shining up my Redeye :(