Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-30-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by JaneK
Hi All,
Here's a quick question. Does anyone know if featherweights made in Great Britain are compatible with the electricity here in the US, or do they need to be converted. Silly question, but I don't know the answer. Thanks.
JaneK I bought a 99K made in Canada with a 240 motor at a yard sale (posted on page 394). We went to our local repair guy and he sold us a 110 motor. My DH attached the new motor and the 99K works great! I think the new motor only cost around $30.

I'd ask what size motor the machine has on it now. Just because it was made in Great Britain doesn't mean they put a 240 motor on the machine -- it depends on where they were planning on selling the machine.

Nancy
Old 10-30-2010, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Debbie B
It was suggested that I post this at the Machine Shop. I hope I've come to the right place. I found this machine on craigslist. The ad does not tell me anything about the machine. I have left a message for the owner but have not heard back, yet. Can you tell me the model of this from the picture. I want an old electric singer for free motion quilting. I thought if I knew the model then I could find some info on-line before driving to another town. Thanks, Debbie
I think it's a 201. Look at this for comparison:http://www.sewalot.com/singer_201k_sewalot.htm
Old 10-30-2010, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
Originally Posted by Debbie B
It was suggested that I post this at the Machine Shop. I hope I've come to the right place. I found this machine on craigslist. The ad does not tell me anything about the machine. I have left a message for the owner but have not heard back, yet. Can you tell me the model of this from the picture. I want an old electric singer for free motion quilting. I thought if I knew the model then I could find some info on-line before driving to another town. Thanks, Debbie
I think it's a 201. Look at this for comparison:http://www.sewalot.com/singer_201k_sewalot.htm
Definitely NOT a 201. I can't tell from the picture if it's a 32? or a 185. Either way, I would pass. (Nope, not a 185.)
Old 10-30-2010, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

Miz Johnny, I'm interested in why do you think it's not a 201?
Old 10-30-2010, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

I am not an expert at all but I have a 201 and it's a lot different looking than the pic from Debbie.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Lostn51
It was an industrial machine mainly used in clothing manufacture and was reported to sew over 4000 stitches a minute! It was mostly used in seam powered factories where you had a central power source and they had belt going from the central shaft to the machines.

Here is an example of what the factory may have looked like....

Billy
Geeeze, Billy I still don't see why the machine had a wheel on each end? In case some of the worker's were left handed?

Nancy
I dont know why they have them at each end unless you worked from both sides of the machine.

Billy
Old 10-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by buslady
I got my treadle home and see that the rod that runs from the wheel to the foot pedal is broken. Are they hard to come by?
What kind of treadle is it I might have on here for you.

Billy
Old 10-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Nancy that is a beautiful WW9! I love the detail on the cabinet also. I have never seen one like that.
Did you notice the treadle and the design of it Lisa? I wonder if it was for just export models......

But that is a great looking machine and so minty and new!!!

Billy
Old 10-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by JaneK
Sharon,
Thanks so much. Do you think my local sewing machine repairman can convert it, and is it an expensive thing to do?
There's a converter you can use, or you can replace the motor. The original motors sometimes come up on Ebay, or someone may know where to get one. On some machines, the motor is easy to replace--not sure about FW because of light fixture--Billy, does it have to be rewired?
I have the motors for them and you just change the light bulb out to the American 110v type. It is very simple to do and you can do it for a few dollars and 30 minutes or less.

Billy
Old 10-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I am not an expert at all but I have a 201 and it's a lot different looking than the pic from Debbie.
It is real close to being a 201 in my book. The 185J and K did not have that type of stitch regulator on it and if I could see the bottom of the machine I would know for sure!

Billy