Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-03-2010, 04:38 PM

In reading in pages 352, 353 Saw avatar from Earleen.
I met a lady named that yrs ago because her father had a place where we live in Bonita Springs Fl. One author by that name too --what's the chances I ever met you ?
Old 11-03-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by redpurselady
I just got this one from Ebay and should be here by Friday. I should have had her shipped directly to Billy so he could give her his spa treatment but I just had to see her first.

Anyway Billy, as soon as I get my Cleo back from you, this one will be headed your way. I think this one will need a little more elbow grease than Cleo.
Congraulations on your find. She looks very pretty. I know she will be even prettier when cleaned up.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by redpurselady
I just got this one from Ebay and should be here by Friday. I should have had her shipped directly to Billy so he could give her his spa treatment but I just had to see her first.

Anyway Billy, as soon as I get my Cleo back from you, this one will be headed your way. I think this one will need a little more elbow grease than Cleo.
She is beautiful!!! Yes she may be a bit more work but worth every minute spent. :D

I am looking forward to seeing her!!!

Billy
Old 11-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Now I wish I'd of got that Rocketeer I had a chance of buying a couple weeks ago!

Billy, I love your machines especially that 128!

I'd bet my Singer 9W would give your Singer 9W a run for your money!

Is that a 99K - second down? What is the one on the bottom right?

Anyway, your machines look delicious!

Nancy
I bet a lot of your machines would give mine a run for the money!

The machines in the cabinet starting from the very top working down:

Singer 27, Japanese "Universal" 15, Singer 9W, Singer 27 "Godzilla" and Blackside finish, Singer 500A, Singer 128 (handcrank now) next to it, under the 128 is a Singer 24, and a Singer 99 is next to it.

Billy
Old 11-04-2010, 05:47 AM

I am looking at and considering buying a Singer 328K with several attachments. Does anyone have advice?
I love this group. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:15 AM

Ok you guys I have been so frustrated with my sewing machine! I spent a month FM quilting on my 15-88, basically doing thread play, all over a Halloween cheater panel. It turned out so cute! So much fun!

Well, now I had to get serious because I am in a Mystery Quilt class so I am piecing with my very expensive modern machine. I spent most of yesterday and already 2 hours this morning trying to figure out why it skips stitches. I went through a ton of needles, different sizes, kinds; then I changed the upper tension by all up and down the scale; then bobbin tension; cleaned the machine; put some oil in the bobbin assemby (my machine does not call for oiling); I did everything I could think of. My stitch got better, but still skipped once in a while! I can't have skipped stitches in a quilt top! So frustrating!

Well, this morning I had to change the bobbin out completely, I had wound a new bobbin and I used it up trying to figure out what is wrong! Guess what! It was the bobbin! When I took the bobbin out for the 100th time I noticed it was not real smooth feeling, it didn't look real round! So I have been throwing away bobbins all morning! This machine has bobbins that say Pfaff on them, the bad ones don't say Pfaff, they are knockoffs -- and thicker and not perfectly round!

Geeze!

Nancy
Old 11-04-2010, 06:38 AM

Wow, I feel your pain! I hate it when things don't go right, and especially when it is something like that! My Pfaff was skipping stitches last night, too, but I was sewing over some thick seams and I thought that was the issue, but I had put in a new bobbin, I am now wondering if I need to go back and check that out!! Are your bobbins plastic?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:44 AM

You went through a lot of frustration but in the end you figured out the cause of the problem and that is good!!
Old 11-04-2010, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by buslady
Wow, I feel your pain! I hate it when things don't go right, and especially when it is something like that! My Pfaff was skipping stitches last night, too, but I was sewing over some thick seams and I thought that was the issue, but I had put in a new bobbin, I am now wondering if I need to go back and check that out!! Are your bobbins plastic?
Yes they are a light blue plastic that says "Pfaff" on them. The bobbins that do not work look just like the Pfaff one, but they are a clear plastic, a little thicker, and they don't say Pfaff! I could actually see when I started examining the bobbin where it had rubbed on the bobbin casing when turning, little scratch marks! From now on, I will make sure I have authentic bobbins that say Pfaff, not the knockoffs!

Nancy
Old 11-04-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Well, now I had to get serious because I am in a Mystery Quilt class so I am piecing with my very expensive modern machine. So frustrating!

Geeze!

Nancy
Use that new Featherweight! I would toss the modern into a closet and only pull it out for decorative stitches that could be use in quilting or finishing a binding. I read that the straight stitches on the FW are far nicer than any modern machine.

I would love to see your Mystery Quilt top.