Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-05-2010, 03:19 PM

Went to a yard sale today and didn't see any machines But......DH asked if she had any. Said she had her mothers machine in a barn. One thing led to another and we wound up in her barn. Next thing I know the machine is in the back of our truck wanting to go home with us. She was so dirty and full of mice nest and trash no wonder she didn't want to stay in that old cold barn. It snowed here today. The machine is a Singer 306K made in 1956. Here is a picture of her after Hubby vaccumed all the trash and gave her a bath. After all those years in a barn she still sews a nice straight stitch.

Sooo much cleaner now
[ATTACH=CONFIG]119604[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-119599.jpe
Views:	85
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	119604  
Old 11-05-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Went to a yard sale today and didn't see any machines But......DH asked if she had any. Said she had her mothers machine in a barn. One thing led to another and we wound up in her barn. Next thing I know the machine is in the back of our truck wanting to go home with us. She was so dirty and full of mice nest and trash no wonder she didn't want to stay in that old cold barn. It snowed here today. The machine is a Singer 306K made in 1956. Here is a picture of her after Hubby vaccumed all the trash and gave her a bath. After all those years in a barn she still sews a nice straight stitch.
I LOVE mine!! A wonderful machine. I don't use it much because it has to be plugged in (I prefer people power), but when I do I'm always thinking I should use it more often.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:29 PM

Lucky you, lucky machine to find you.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:58 PM

[quote=Miz Johnny]
Originally Posted by Icandothat
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Icandothat
I am looking at and considering buying a Singer 328K with several attachments. Does anyone have advice?
I love this group. Thanks for your input.
I did a little research. The 328K was made in the early 60's in Great Britain. It has cams, has medal gears not plastic. I saw two for sale: one was listed for $299, the other one for $250. The machines I saw pictured were really pretty machines. If you get one post a picture of it for all of us.

Thanks, Nancy. I am trying to work out the logistics of going to see this machine.
That's a LOT of money for a 328. There's one on Ebay right now for $20 that has no bids.
Some 328's have a knock-out plug in the front so they can be treadled. That's why I have had one in my basement for the past few years. . . . .I can assure you I didn't pay anything NEAR $200 for mine!!
The one I am considering is listed at $65 with attachments....if it is still available. It looks good in the photo but is a couple hours drive for me to go see it. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:20 PM

Okay all you experts-

I have been thinking about Featherweights, but continually find myself drawn to 301s instead. So, I want some info from you all. I like a bigger, heavier machine, and like to make handbags out of vintage drapery fabric, so a little heavy duty is good for me.

I'm more drawn to the 301s, the more I see. And it appears they are pretty reasonable.

I'd like feedback!

I have a 1961 atlas (pink) which I love, and a Juki 98Q which I might have to have buried with me. She's my love, I think because she is a wonderful, no-nonsense, metal geared, straight stitch machine.

So I'm thinking a 301 is the right fit for my little family. Opinions?
Old 11-05-2010, 04:53 PM

No name yet any suggestions??

Originally Posted by Deara
Quiltforme, your machine is beautiful.
Have you named her yet?
Old 11-05-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
Okay all you experts-

I have been thinking about Featherweights, but continually find myself drawn to 301s instead. So, I want some info from you all. I like a bigger, heavier machine, and like to make handbags out of vintage drapery fabric, so a little heavy duty is good for me.

I'm more drawn to the 301s, the more I see. And it appears they are pretty reasonable.

I'd like feedback!

I have a 1961 atlas (pink) which I love, and a Juki 98Q which I might have to have buried with me. She's my love, I think because she is a wonderful, no-nonsense, metal geared, straight stitch machine.

I have2 FW and a 301. I want to get the 301 out and use it as soon as I can find the space. It is heavier than a FW and can do more if you have the extras, which I do.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
Okay all you experts-

I'd like feedback!

I have a 301 and I love it. I use some of the other machines we have and I always quite in the middle and go back to the 301. I have made several lap quilts on it and even did a little fmq on some bibs I made for people in the nurseing home. I have made clothes on mine. As long as the material you use isn't toooo heavy I would say go for it. I don't like to work mine to hard. I use my 319 to do the heavy work or a 403. So I would go for it. They are starting to get expensive like the FW.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
You'll love this machine. I spent all day sewing on mine (exactly like yours) and it was all pleasure. Did you get the cams also? I'm anxious to try them, mine came with 28 of them but I straight stitched all day.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:31 PM

Question where can I find a manual for my White family rotary treadle? I found one place but I am pretty sure they are no longer in business. It is a FR232733 I have looked at many sites may have found one on ebay have to wait 5 days for bidding to end. Thank you for your help Jade!