Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-05-2010, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
Question where can I find a manual for my White family rotary treadle? I found one place but I am pretty sure they are no longer in business. It is a FR232733 I have looked at many sites may have found one on ebay have to wait 5 days for bidding to end. Thank you for your help Jade!
http://www.ismacs.net/white/manuals/white-rotary.pdf
Old 11-05-2010, 09:26 PM

Thank you so much for your help!! I really appreciate it!
Old 11-06-2010, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
Question where can I find a manual for my White family rotary treadle? I found one place but I am pretty sure they are no longer in business. It is a FR232733 I have looked at many sites may have found one on ebay have to wait 5 days for bidding to end. Thank you for your help Jade!
Here is the site to Needlebar, where you can find a lot of manuals.

Nancy

I think I sent you the Vibrating Shuttle, here is the Rotary.

http://needlebar.org/main~nb/manuals/white/index.html

http://needlebar.org/main~nb/manuals/whitevs/index.html
Old 11-06-2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Went to a yard sale today and didn't see any machines But......DH asked if she had any. Said she had her mothers machine in a barn. One thing led to another and we wound up in her barn. Next thing I know the machine is in the back of our truck wanting to go home with us. She was so dirty and full of mice nest and trash no wonder she didn't want to stay in that old cold barn. It snowed here today. The machine is a Singer 306K made in 1956. Here is a picture of her after Hubby vaccumed all the trash and gave her a bath. After all those years in a barn she still sews a nice straight stitch.
Oh my, She is beautiful and so glad to have a wonderful home.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
Okay all you experts-

I have been thinking about Featherweights, but continually find myself drawn to 301s instead. So, I want some info from you all. I like a bigger, heavier machine, and like to make handbags out of vintage drapery fabric, so a little heavy duty is good for me.

I'm more drawn to the 301s, the more I see. And it appears they are pretty reasonable.

I'd like feedback!

I have a 1961 atlas (pink) which I love, and a Juki 98Q which I might have to have buried with me. She's my love, I think because she is a wonderful, no-nonsense, metal geared, straight stitch machine.

So I'm thinking a 301 is the right fit for my little family. Opinions?
I have 4 featherweights, love them all. I have two 301a's and I prefer to sew on them. They don't move around the table and the feed dogs drop for FMQ, and I like the handle on top for moving. I have sewn on naugahyde and had no problem what so ever...
Old 11-06-2010, 09:40 AM

I recently purchased a Singer 500a on Ebay. The owner said it has a tension problem that needs to be addressed. Is this easy to do and can I do it myself?
Old 11-06-2010, 11:59 AM

Does anyone know of the Eclipse medium treadle. I don't know if just replying here is correct but I will try.

I don't know the serial number and is sight unseen other than what I can find on the net. I was hoping someone had information on this machine and possible value. It was made by a British company in the late 1800's early 1900's as best as I can tell. A friend says her mother has one she wants to sell.

Thanks in advance for anyone who could direct me somewhere or know something.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
Does anyone know of the Eclipse medium treadle. I don't know if just replying here is correct but I will try.

I don't know the serial number and is sight unseen other than what I can find on the net. I was hoping someone had information on this machine and possible value. It was made by a British company in the late 1800's early 1900's as best as I can tell. A friend says her mother has one she wants to sell.

I BELIEVE I have a hand crank lost somewhere in the basement. (Hmn. Need to find that one.) As far as value, your best bet is to look at comparable machines on the auction sites. The Eclipse is a British machine; I don't think I've ever seen one in a treadle, though I know they were made. In the end, you have to assess the condition of the irons, the cabinet, the machine, whether or not it has attachments, etc., and then decide what it's worth to you. It's almost always worth less than the owner thinks it is.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:24 PM

Hello everyone!

I just brought home from a barn sale a Singer Model 503a.
I know, from this forum, that the 'a' just means it was manufactured in Anderson, South Carolina.

The machine is very cute, the Rocketeer style, but it had no attachments, no feet, no anything with it. I have been trying to pull up a manual or something with some information on this machine and all I found out is that it was manufactured between 1960 and 62; and that it is the last machine Singer made using all metal gears.

Does this machine have to have a 'cam' to even run at all? I found a blog that said 'don't run the 503a without a cam in it.' I am going to bid on a couple cams on e-bay, but in the meantime I don't want to hurt the machine by trying to run it without a cam.

Help!

Nancy
Old 11-06-2010, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by quiltmaker

I BELIEVE I have a hand crank lost somewhere in the basement. (Hmn. Need to find that one.) As far as value, your best bet is to look at comparable machines on the auction sites. The Eclipse is a British machine; I don't think I've ever seen one in a treadle, though I know they were made. In the end, you have to assess the condition of the irons, the cabinet, the machine, whether or not it has attachments, etc., and then decide what it's worth to you. It's almost always worth less than the owner thinks it is.
Is that avatar machine what they call a Grasshopper? I would like to see a bigger picture of it. It looks very cute.