Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-06-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Originally Posted by featherweight
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by featherweight

Is that avatar machine what they call a Grasshopper? I would like to see a bigger picture of it. It looks very cute.
No, that is an old green SuperMatic. Nice old machine; takes cams and makes a good stitch.
The "Grasshopper" is the straight stitch Elna #1. I have one of those, too, and should haul it out and take a picture one of these days. Both the Super and Grasshopper came in metal cases that could be used as a table for the machine--they even have a cutout for the free arm.
Well it is sure pretty.
It sews like a dream. If you ever see one do not pass it up if it is affordable. DH said that it takes the Singer low shank attachments I think.
You must be as bad as I am about buying old sewing machines. Have you seen a Singer 185? they are so cute but they weigh a ton!
Old 11-06-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
Okay all you experts-

I have been thinking about Featherweights, but continually find myself drawn to 301s instead. So, I want some info from you all. I like a bigger, heavier machine, and like to make handbags out of vintage drapery fabric, so a little heavy duty is good for me.

I'm more drawn to the 301s, the more I see. And it appears they are pretty reasonable.

I'd like feedback!

I have a 1961 atlas (pink) which I love, and a Juki 98Q which I might have to have buried with me. She's my love, I think because she is a wonderful, no-nonsense, metal geared, straight stitch machine.

So I'm thinking a 301 is the right fit for my little family. Opinions?
Hi, I love the 301's. but, it is not a heavy-duty machine. if you want to do bags,heavies, etc. a 15-91 would be better. you should be able to pick one up for less than $200 in very good shape. also fits in cabinets, which makes sewing so much easier.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by smitty
Originally Posted by hazeljane
Okay all you experts-

I have been thinking about Featherweights, but continually find myself drawn to 301s instead. So, I want some info from you all. I like a bigger, heavier machine, and like to make handbags out of vintage drapery fabric, so a little heavy duty is good for me.

I'm more drawn to the 301s, the more I see. And it appears they are pretty reasonable.

I'd like feedback!

I have a 1961 atlas (pink) which I love, and a Juki 98Q which I might have to have buried with me. She's my love, I think because she is a wonderful, no-nonsense, metal geared, straight stitch machine.

So I'm thinking a 301 is the right fit for my little family. Opinions?
Hi, I love the 301's. but, it is not a heavy-duty machine. if you want to do bags,heavies, etc. a 15-91 would be better. you should be able to pick one up for less than $200 in very good shape. also fits in cabinets, which makes sewing so much easier.
Actually I have sewn naugahyde on mine and have had no problem. I have also made many bags and never had a problem. My 301 is also in a cabinet. I have a 99K and it is very heavy duty but weight a ton also.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Ok you guys I have been so frustrated with my sewing machine! I spent a month FM quilting on my 15-88, basically doing thread play, all over a Halloween cheater panel. It turned out so cute! So much fun!

Well, now I had to get serious because I am in a Mystery Quilt class so I am piecing with my very expensive modern machine. I spent most of yesterday and already 2 hours this morning trying to figure out why it skips stitches. I went through a ton of needles, different sizes, kinds; then I changed the upper tension by all up and down the scale; then bobbin tension; cleaned the machine; put some oil in the bobbin assemby (my machine does not call for oiling); I did everything I could think of. My stitch got better, but still skipped once in a while! I can't have skipped stitches in a quilt top! So frustrating!

Well, this morning I had to change the bobbin out completely, I had wound a new bobbin and I used it up trying to figure out what is wrong! Guess what! It was the bobbin! When I took the bobbin out for the 100th time I noticed it was not real smooth feeling, it didn't look real round! So I have been throwing away bobbins all morning! This machine has bobbins that say Pfaff on them, the bad ones don't say Pfaff, they are knockoffs -- and thicker and not perfectly round!

Geeze!

Nancy
should have stuck with the 15 for piecing too ! can't beat those vintage ladies for dependable stitching.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by smitty
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Ok you guys I have been so frustrated with my sewing machine! I spent a month FM quilting on my 15-88, basically doing thread play, all over a Halloween cheater panel. It turned out so cute! So much fun!

Well, now I had to get serious because I am in a Mystery Quilt class so I am piecing with my very expensive modern machine. I spent most of yesterday and already 2 hours this morning trying to figure out why it skips stitches. I went through a ton of needles, different sizes, kinds; then I changed the upper tension by all up and down the scale; then bobbin tension; cleaned the machine; put some oil in the bobbin assemby (my machine does not call for oiling); I did everything I could think of. My stitch got better, but still skipped once in a while! I can't have skipped stitches in a quilt top! So frustrating!

Well, this morning I had to change the bobbin out completely, I had wound a new bobbin and I used it up trying to figure out what is wrong! Guess what! It was the bobbin! When I took the bobbin out for the 100th time I noticed it was not real smooth feeling, it didn't look real round! So I have been throwing away bobbins all morning! This machine has bobbins that say Pfaff on them, the bad ones don't say Pfaff, they are knockoffs -- and thicker and not perfectly round!

Geeze!

Nancy
should have stuck with the 15 for piecing too ! can't beat those vintage ladies for dependable stitching.
Boy, you can say that again !!! Don't make a mistake because it is almost impossible to get out with the nice tight stitch they make!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 05:24 AM

HELP, I was sewing along on my 306k as I had done for two days with no problems and all of a sudden it just won't move. The needle is down and I can't get it back up and the bobbin case isn't turning and it's a mess. We finally got the thing to move after taking the foot off, needle out. It looks like the needle was hitting the bobbin case but it was fine for two days, what happened? My DH has worked on it but hasn't a clue as to what it needs other than he thinks it needs timed. How do we do that? I found a service manual on line but the pics are so dark it's hard to understand what they are saying. I love to sew on this machine but I guess that's over.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:47 AM

Thanks so much for creating this link! Love looking at the old machines. Here's my dilemma: I finally opened the case and looked at a sewing machine that my mother gave me years ago. It's a brother coronado princess-pretty light green color. Know it is not as special as a featherweight but has sentimental value. (Parents owned a Gambles store years ago so that's where it came from.)Oiled it and let it set for 24 hours and dusted it. Read that is what you're supposed to do. Tried it out but it wouldn't "move the material." What can I do? Would the company send me information?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:16 AM

Sounds to me like the feed dogs are either down or they are broke. Did you oil real good on the bobbin area too?
Old 11-07-2010, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
HELP, I was sewing along on my 306k as I had done for two days with no problems and all of a sudden it just won't move. The needle is down and I can't get it back up and the bobbin case isn't turning and it's a mess. We finally got the thing to move after taking the foot off, needle out. It looks like the needle was hitting the bobbin case but it was fine for two days, what happened? My DH has worked on it but hasn't a clue as to what it needs other than he thinks it needs timed. How do we do that? I found a service manual on line but the pics are so dark it's hard to understand what they are saying. I love to sew on this machine but I guess that's over.
I bought the repair manual for the Featherweight and 301 and it explains very clearly how to adjust the timing. I had to do this when I painted my Blue Featherweight. Good Luck..
Old 11-07-2010, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
What size needle are you using? The 306 takes a 206 x 13 needle; not the standard 15 x 1.