Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
question and need help >

question and need help

question and need help

Old 11-17-2010, 06:01 PM

Oh! don't throw it away. You can make Empanada's with it. Just mix it with any kind of meat, season and you can stuff the Empanada's with it. This is something similar to a fried pie. But you can fry them, or bake them. Nobody will ever know the difference. Or you can use wonton wrappers. Works good on my boo, boos.. Enjoy...
Old 11-17-2010, 06:03 PM

This happened t me this past week and I have a can of tomato soup so I used milk in it and added the rice, made cream of tomato rice soup. Better than the store bought stuff because I added basil to it. Yum!!! Jan Oh you might wash your rice first or maybe too much water!
Old 11-17-2010, 07:09 PM

you can make dog or cat food, add some burger or liver, they will love it
Old 11-17-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by vjengels
i'd make rice pudding, or fried rice balls, you know arenccini (sp?), or how about using it as the top or bottom layer of a mock shepards pie? Add it to soup to thicken it. Mix it with ground meat, black beans & salsa, wrap in a burrito. Use it to make stuffed cabbage rolls.
Mix it with some Quinoa, & cooked barley and have it for breakfast instead of oatmeal
I have a box of Quinoa in my pantry but have never made it. Any suggestions as to how to serve it?
Old 11-17-2010, 08:44 PM

This is easy and so good...Dinah Shore's recipe from the old Riviera Hotel in Las Vegas. Won't tell you how long ago I got this recipe from her TV show!

1/2 c. rice (not Minute Rice)
1 c. water with 1 tsp. salt
1 qt. whole milk
4 Tbsp. butter
3 whole eggs
1/2 c. sugar
3/4 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. cinnamon - optional
3 Tbsp. sugar - optional

Cook the rice according to package directions, but just for half the time. Stir in the milk and butter. Bring up to the boil, reduce heat to very low heat, cover and cook slowly for about one hour. Stir about every 5 minutes to keep mixture from sticking.

Meanwhile, beat the 3 eggs; add sugar and vanilla. Mix some of the hot milk and the rice into the egg mixture to "temper" it, so it will not curdle. Combine the warmed eggs into the rice pudding pot; cook a few more minutes, stirring until the pudding thickens.

Serve hot or cold with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.

This should serve 6 people.

Note: When the family is free of braces, add 1 cup raisins or dried cherries.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by mshawii
This happened t me this past week and I have a can of tomato soup so I used milk in it and added the rice, made cream of tomato rice soup. Better than the store bought stuff because I added basil to it. Yum!!! Jan Oh you might wash your rice first or maybe too much water!
Yummy! That sounds so good.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:45 PM

Did you put too much water in? Rice pudding is nice and also, put brown sugar on top and add milk. It's very nice.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar
A lot of the results depend on the type of of rice you use, as rice types are not interchangeable. Starch varies type-to-type, which may be one cause for the mushy texture; some break down more easily, usually the cheaper/discount rices. [You may also have to cut back on the amount of liquid, which is another "mush" factor.] Personally, I'd throw out that first batch (because all the suggestions for what to do - rice pudding, arancini rice balls, etc.- require the rice to have some TEXTURE and body) or put a half cup or into some hot broth for a light soup. BUT TRY THIS NEXT TIME: For each cup of rice, saute the raw/uncooked rice in 1T butter (for sweet or savory dishes) or olive oil (for savory dishes) over medium high heat, stirring constantly until almost all the grains JUST turn white, which takes about a minute or two, not long at all. THEN add the seasonings and liquid, and follow the rest of the recipe. The sauteing "locks in" the starches, making the grains stay "separate" and keeping them from breaking down. Hope this helps for your next batch and good luck!
Thanks for this tip.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter672
This is easy and so good...Dinah Shore's recipe from the old Riviera Hotel in Las Vegas. Won't tell you how long ago I got this recipe from her TV show!

1/2 c. rice (not Minute Rice)
1 c. water with 1 tsp. salt
1 qt. whole milk
4 Tbsp. butter
3 whole eggs
1/2 c. sugar
3/4 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. cinnamon - optional
3 Tbsp. sugar - optional

Cook the rice according to package directions, but just for half the time. Stir in the milk and butter. Bring up to the boil, reduce heat to very low heat, cover and cook slowly for about one hour. Stir about every 5 minutes to keep mixture from sticking.

Meanwhile, beat the 3 eggs; add sugar and vanilla. Mix some of the hot milk and the rice into the egg mixture to "temper" it, so it will not curdle. Combine the warmed eggs into the rice pudding pot; cook a few more minutes, stirring until the pudding thickens.

Serve hot or cold with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.

This should serve 6 people.

Note: When the family is free of braces, add 1 cup raisins or dried cherries.
Copied this recipe, just might make some in the next few days.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:32 AM

wow I hadn't thought of cream of tomato w rice soup either. Thanks ladies for that info, and mix w dog or cat food, gotta try that one as well, still will do the rice pudding, I may have to do another batch of rice though,

anyway thanks ladies for this fine info! Yes I think I did put too much water in it as well.

psychomomquilter/Mary