Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-19-2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Originally Posted by seahug
Here is a pic of that domestic maachine and the needle sets to the left it will do a zz stitch. I am not sure what the ab settings ate on the top of machine and don't know a whole lot about it.

Judy
I'm not familiar with this machine but could the ab setting actually control the needle position? Was there a dot in between the a and b indicating rhe middle of something?
Cindy
there is no dot just arrows pointing to either a or b
Old 12-19-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Here is a pic of that domestic maachine and the needle sets to the left it will do a zz stitch. I am not sure what the ab settings ate on the top of machine and don't know a whole lot about it.

Judy
I'm not familiar with this machine but could the ab setting actually control the needle position? Was there a dot in between the a and b indicating rhe middle of something?
Cindy

there is a silver button that opens a door on the top of machine I don;t know just what its for either
there is no dot just arrows pointing to either a or b
Old 12-19-2010, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Just got a Mason treadle. I need the "t shirt" throat plate, if anyone has one to sell.
The Mason was a badged "White" machine. If you want more information on your treadle, go to this website to find out more about your machine.

http://community.webshots.com/user/arachnesobsession

About half way down there are several subheadings. Look for Badged White Model Identification or look under Serial Number/Dating List to find the year of your machine.

What treadle is that on your Avator?

Nancy
Old 12-19-2010, 08:07 PM

Judy
Really neat looking machine and it looks very heavy!

Nancy
Old 12-19-2010, 08:44 PM

Judy
There is a manual available at:
http://www.sewingmachinemanual.net/S...ion_manual.htm

I am betting it is a dedicated left needle position machine. I have had a couple over the years.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:49 PM

[
Old 12-20-2010, 03:45 AM

It is a beautiful Damascus. I am very proud of it. Thanks for the pointer to the White site.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:52 AM

I would like to get input from all you vintage machine connoisseurs out there.

I recently got a 1924 motorized portable Red Eye and sent her off to Billy’s to get the royal spa treatment. I love Red Eyes just because I think the decals are so beautiful. Anyway, my intent was for Billy to get her all clean, rust free, and ready to sew. After he tried her out, it turns out that the motor is shot and I will have to consider the following options to make her “sew-ready”. I can’t seem to make a decision so after consulting with Billy, we thought it might be fun to have a poll going. Here are the options Billy has offered:

I can turn it into a Handcrank and that will save you a considerable amount and add to the value of the machine.

The second scenario would be to put an aftermarket motor on her and then I can wire everything in like you want. I do have a motor off of a 99K that has the light and foot pedal wired into it. It would work on your machine but I would have to change the light out to yours (I have to rewire yours anyway) and add the FW style pedal.

Then the last one I like is put it in a treadle and call it a day. You can change the heads out to what ever you want and just have one treadle.

I am having a really hard time making a decision. I already have a treadle and I still have not sewn on her so that eliminates that choice for me. My original intent was to be able to sew on the Red Eye. If that is the case, do I put a brand new motor in that would probably last longer or do I stay with the more vintage motor? Handcrank is an interesting option just because of the collector value, but I don’t see myself sewing very much on the machine if it’s a handcrank. Do I want to showcase this machine or am I really going use her to sew? I guess that is the decisive question and the one that has me stumped.

So, what do you think I should do?

FYI, I have a Bernina (my workhorse), a modern Kenmore (which I hardly use), 1956 Featherweight (used for classes) Singer 27 1905 treadle (received as a gift and have not yet used), 1949 Singer 128 and a 1971 Montgomery Ward.

My Red Eye (1924)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145704[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-145699.jpe
Views:	81
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	145704  
Old 12-20-2010, 07:07 AM

Redpurselady...I vote for the handcrank. Seems you do not have one of these and could add to your collection. Also the value. Aside from voting, I would like to request a picture of your Singer 127 1905 treadle. I have a 1904 model and would like to compare. Mine has had some alterations. Thanks, Loraine aka "Howard"
Old 12-20-2010, 07:16 AM

My vote would be for a handcrank, mostly because you can sew anywhere with it(I can sit in the evening and watch a movie while sewing and not disturb the other viewers... It's quiet). You already have a treadle and a motorized vintage machine so a handcrank will compliment your collection. My final reason is I am partial to handcranks.