Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-29-2010, 08:52 PM

The book: "The Encyclopedia of Early American Sewing Machines" by Carter Bays .... do you collectors consider this a book worth having?

And, if so, is the latest (2006) edition necessarily the best edition?
Old 12-29-2010, 08:53 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Are there any JA or JC numbers on the machine. One will be stamped or inked on the side of the bed and the other will be cast into the bed. Also is there any other markings under the bed of the machine like on the shafts or anything that might look like a logo.
Couldn't find any logo stamped, but I did find this, does this tell you anything? I would just love to see if I can get this working for inexpensively for her. She wants to make her own quilt.
Looks like:
JC27 JA13 111 (or H1 instead of 111?)

Thats a cool little lizard!! And he is beautiful!!!!
Thank You, he is one of my children, just like most people's dog or cat :)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-149855.jpe
Views:	342
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	149860  
Old 12-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Has anyone seen this machine???
My son got this from someone and knows nothing about it.
I can't find any info on the net.
He lives in Japan.
It is a Japanese 15 and I have seen only a few with that type of stitch regulator knobs on them. It is a badged machine so it could have been made by numerous manufacturers over there but its nice to know someone else in that area! What part of Japan is he in?

Billy
Billy, I knew you'd know!!!!!!!! I told my son about you :D
He's in Kanagawa. He teaches at an International school and he wants a sewing machine for his fiancee. That one is missing some things. They both like to sew and he used to make some wacky clothes in high school on my machine!
They are making their own wedding bands out of white gold. How cool is that??????? :thumbup:
He loves loves loves Japan and I can't seem to convince him to move back :mrgreen:
Old 12-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Power Poster

I had fun poking around a flea market today, searching for old machines... I have really been wanting to get a 15-91 for FMQ. I found a Singer with the serial # Y8821760, a treadle. When I looked it up online it said it was a 15K. Another one I found was a 15-90... So, how much difference is there between a 15-90 and a 15-91, and also a 15K?

All the machines I found today, save one, were in pretty bad shape. When I moved the wheels, they didn't sew freely. Only one still felt like precision movement when I turned the wheel. Any of these badly needs a big cleaning.

I would appreciate any thoughts/ideas on these. Prices were about $45-$75, and $145 for a Pfaff 135 that looked mint except the cord needs to be replaced. Advice?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Fabric Whisperer is that a real lizard? I love your Avator.

Nancy
Yup, he's one of 5, he's a bearded dragon, we named him "Crash" because when he runs around the livingroom, he crashes into the piano, crashes into the couch, crashes into us... he's a little lovey. He's just a couple inches shy of 2-feet long :) and weighs about 1.5 pounds
I love his name, and I like this photo of him holding onto the scissors.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I had fun poking around a flea market today, searching for old machines... I have really been wanting to get a 15-91 for FMQ. I found a Singer with the serial # Y8821760, a treadle. When I looked it up online it said it was a 15K. Another one I found was a 15-90... So, how much difference is there between a 15-90 and a 15-91, and also a 15K?

All the machines I found today, save one, were in pretty bad shape. When I moved the wheels, they didn't sew freely. Only one still felt like precision movement when I turned the wheel. Any of these badly needs a big cleaning.

I would appreciate any thoughts/ideas on these. Prices were about $45-$75, and $145 for a Pfaff 135 that looked mint except the cord needs to be replaced. Advice?
I have a 15-90 that I took the external motor off and put the machine in a treadle to use for FM. I once owned two 15-91, internal pot belly motor; sold one and gave the other to my daughter. I have obtained a couple of free machines where the wheels wouldn't turn and after cleaning and oiling they turned smoothly (such a wonderful feeling). I like using a treadle for quilting/sewing since I feel that I have better control of my movement of hands with the speed of treadling. Don't know about a Pfaff, but you will like the Singers. Plus parts are easy to find for the Singer 15s.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:45 PM
Banned

Couldn't find any logo stamped, but I did find this, does this tell you anything? I would just love to see if I can get this working for inexpensively for her. She wants to make her own quilt.
Looks like:
JC27 JA13 111 (or H1 instead of 111?)
These numbers coincide with the Koyu company and these badged machines........Seammaster, Dressmaker, Aldens. The JC number is the first one in that entry so I have no comparisons. But this will help with my research and I thank you for the numbers!

Billy
Old 12-30-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

I did get a nice surprise in the sewing cabinet I bought for $6.00, it has a vintage pfaff in it...probably a 70's model,,I have not even cleaned completely in the 5 years is has been sitting in that cabinet in my sewing room...reason is my Elna sits on top! I do have the book and attachments for it though..still in the drawers like when I bought it
Jaciqltznok, what vintage Pfaff is in the cabinet? If it is a 1970's, it could be a 1222, which sells for quite a bit on e-bay. If fact, there was a lady advertising on our Craigslist who was asking for one! She wanted to find a Pfaff 1222 for $100 if possible. She didn't want to have to pay more off of E-Bay and pay shipping as they are heavy! I have a 1222e that I bought brand new in 1976 - it was a top of the line machine then -- we had to make payments on it! I still use that Pfaff almost daily, did three complete weddings including the mother-in-laws dress, bridesmaids, and flower girl with that Pfaff. That is a great machine. I use it now for putting on bindings mostly because of the walking foot. It is and has always been my favorite machine. I now use my Mother's Pfaff 130 for most of my piecing -- she used her Pfaff everyday from 1952 until she died in 2007.

Oh and I do use my treadles too! I use my Singer 15-88 treadle for all of my FMQting and thread play.

Nancy
Old 12-30-2010, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
The book: "The Encyclopedia of Early American Sewing Machines" by Carter Bays .... do you collectors consider this a book worth having?

And, if so, is the latest (2006) edition necessarily the best edition?
It's a great book, but concentrates on the older, more rare machines. The latest edition, obviously, contains more information on more machines.

The two books (both out of print) that I find most useful are MR. NEEDLEBAR'S NEEDLE BOOK, privately published by The NeedleBar and mostly written by Chrys Gunther. There are a few errors in the book, which they say is keeping them from publishing it again. I wish they would go ahead--it is a fabulous resource, and almost anything of this nature would have an error here and there--no one is perfect!!

The other book is THE ARCHIVE OF ANTIQUE SEWING MACHINES by Charles Basebase Law. I read on another list that they saw a copy go on Ebay for $400 (!), but also read that Charles Law occasionally puts a few up on Ebay for a reasonable price.

If you run across either of these two books, grab them; you won't be sorry. I believe Katie ?? (I can't remember her last name, but Sharon might!) is writing a book on White sewing machines, but not sure if anyone else is planning a book or not.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:40 AM

Yup, he's one of 5, he's a bearded dragon, we named him "Crash" because when he runs around the livingroom, he crashes into the piano, crashes into the couch, crashes into us... he's a little lovey. He's just a couple inches shy of 2-feet long :) and weighs about 1.5 pounds
I thought he was a 'live' bearded dragon, but I have never seen one that color? My granddaughter's have two bearded dragons, but they are a light brown. They are quite the pets as these girls have had their dragons for quite a few years now.

Nancy