Advice on Slimming Down

Old 01-10-2011, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Keep up the good work!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:42 AM

"they" say that we lose weight in the opposite order that we gain it. Which means, our faces, necks, upper arms, etc... are the last places the weight piles on; our tummies and rear-ends are the first. If you continue with your current diet plan, the next 30 lbs (or 20, or whatever is left) will come off of those places.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:46 AM

My advise is simple since so many have posted such good advice that I will simpley say: Don't be too hard on yourself for any backset you have. They will happen. Just get right back on the plan you've developed for a healthier life style. Keep working on improving it. Thank you for posting...you are already a winner!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:12 AM

You are doing well, keep up the good work. I've had a problem with belly and bottom fat too. What is taking it off is eating better. More lean meats, vegatables, fruits and whole grains. It's the prepared foods that take all the good stuff out and leave the fats and useless carbs that do it to us.! Even the so-called lowfat diet stuff! It you have to have soda, switch to diet soda and eat fresher, less complex foods (hopefully you have a dining hall where you are that has some of these). DH and I have been following the South Beach Diet plan which is basically what I've described above. Good luck and keep at it! :-D :-D
Old 01-10-2011, 06:26 AM

First, good job! Every pound adds up. I have lost 45 pounds over the last year and am working hard to get 5 more off. It just isn't cooperating. I buy the protein water and special K protien bars and put the powder in my big jug of water and that tastes good to me and really helps. (pink lemonade flavor). A bowl of special k with fresh blueberries for breakfast, protein bar for lunch some fruit for snack,and a normal family dinner. I will be 60 next month and this is the 3rd time i've had to get the fat off in my life. It is a lifetime battle. Good luck to you. Keep in touch if you need encouragement.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:46 AM

You're doing so good at this, just be patient and stick with what works for you. There's a lot of great advice out there and it looks like you are proactively taking advantage of the exercise opportunities in your dorm (love that you dance in your room :)). I understand about the gym it can be overwhelming--just go at your own pace and you've done so well! Take a minute to congratulate yourself. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Posting here will help keep you motivated.
Looking forward to continuing good news from you. Here's to a healthy 2011.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
I've lost about thirty pounds since I started school and the only places its been noticeable has been my neck/collarbone area, face, legs and a bit in the arms. I know it's hard to lose in the tummy, hips, and bum areas but I just want to know how I can help those areas out. I'm not the athletic kind and running is not feasible at this time. I'm trying to eliminate soda from my diet and to drink more water and juice.

What can I do to help reduce the tummy and other mention areas? I try to walk every other night and that has helped a bit.
You can do exercises that strengthen and tone those muscles. using weight will build muscle, oning and strengthing makes for better body shape. Many of these can even be done while sitting (sewing, quilting, working) even at work on your break.
All you have to do is tighten those muscles and hold for 10-15 seconds, release and repeat. Having fun should be number one.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:54 AM

Keep up the good work. It's not possible to spot reduce, as others have said. My advice? Stop scrutinizing your body looking for flaws. You'll get discouraged. Accept yourself the way you are and pat yourself on the back for what you've accomplished, which is considerable. A 30 lb. weight loss is something to celebrate.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:07 AM

Try to greatly reduce or eliminate all "white" foods from your diet. They are all high carb foods.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:50 AM

You're doing great already - keep touching that collarbone to remind you that the weight is coming off and since the bones are starting to show, it will come off in other areas, too. Maybe cutting down on the breads and pastas will help diminish the bloating that pooches out the tummy. Can't hurt. Keep up the walking. You're a winner!