Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Liz aka Helen
HI Billy,

I was given this Pfaff and it works, but I have a slight problem, I am missing a part. This being a tiny little piece that is supposed to attach on the front of the cam lever - to active the different cams to do decretive stitches. Can you help?

Thanks Helen
I dont have anything for the Pfaff 130...... :( But if you look at CL and eBay you might can find the piece or an entire parts machine.

Billy
Old 01-13-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Liz aka Helen
HI Billy,

I was given this Pfaff and it works, but I have a slight problem, I am missing a part. This being a tiny little piece that is supposed to attach on the front of the cam lever - to active the different cams to do decretive stitches. Can you help?

Thanks Helen
Helen, what are you talking about? A cam lever on a 130? I have my Mother's Pfaff 130 and there is no cam nor a cam lever. Is that something added? An attachment of some kind like the Singer's Monogrammer attachment? I never heard of cams for the 130. I have my Mother's original machine with all her feet and attachments, but there was never a cam? Could you post a picture?

Also, that extra light on the front of your 130 is added. The machine did not come like that? Wow, those machines sell for a couple hundred at least when you do find one for sale. You are really lucky to get one given to you!

Nancy

Ok, I went back and looked at the machine, and I see the back where the light use to be has a cam attachment added? That is so interesting, I didn't even know cams existed for that machine!
Old 01-13-2011, 02:13 PM

I posted here a few days ago about the fw I found at the curb......a man came out and said it was 'broke' and didn't work. He said I could have it. Well, it works, sews beautifully in fact. There was a dead (mummified) animal in the foot control-cleaned all that out, and thats all it took to run. I am delighted that the machine was rescued from an unnecessary 'retirement', but it was really mistreated. There was so much lint in the feed dogs I could not see the hook or the bobbin holder, I don't think it was oiled or cleaned very often. It's only from 1955. The original unused tube of grease came in the case. It's the finish that makes me sick, she had to be a smoker or used it next to a bonfire, all the brown muck that's on it..and the finish is almost--gooey. It's a total gross out to boot! I think it might be a good candidate for 'the dip' and a repaint at Billy's place, but what can I do now to get that off? I am in an apartment so I am limited. I know this sounds a bit odd, but I feel so sorry for this machine....What to do?
Old 01-13-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
I posted here a few days ago about the fw I found at the curb......a man came out and said it was 'broke' and didn't work. He said I could have it. Well, it works, sews beautifully in fact. There was a dead (mummified) animal in the foot control-cleaned all that out, and thats all it took to run. I am delighted that the machine was rescued from an unnecessary 'retirement', but it was really mistreated. There was so much lint in the feed dogs I could not see the hook or the bobbin holder, I don't think it was oiled or cleaned very often. It's only from 1955. The original unused tube of grease came in the case. It's the finish that makes me sick, she had to be a smoker or used it next to a bonfire, all the brown muck that's on it..and the finish is almost--gooey. It's a total gross out to boot! I think it might be a good candidate for 'the dip' and a repaint at Billy's place, but what can I do now to get that off? I am in an apartment so I am limited. I know this sounds a bit odd, but I feel so sorry for this machine....What to do?
What do you mean, only a 1955! That sounds like a pretty good year to me. I would think you could use a degreaser of some sort to take the gunk off without damage. Just use a soft cloth. You were lucky to find her and she was lucky to be saved by you. I am sure Billy will have a much better idea. PM him.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Banned

It's the finish that makes me sick, she had to be a smoker or used it next to a bonfire, all the brown muck that's on it..and the finish is almost--gooey. It's a total gross out to boot! I think it might be a good candidate for 'the dip' and a repaint at Billy's place, but what can I do now to get that off? I am in an apartment so I am limited. I know this sounds a bit odd, but I feel so sorry for this machine....What to do?
Go Jo would be what I would use, that and a lot of cotton balls to apply it and a roll or two of paper towels to wipe it off. but when your ready to send it I am ready for it!!

Billy
Old 01-13-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
It's the finish that makes me sick, she had to be a smoker or used it next to a bonfire, all the brown muck that's on it..and the finish is almost--gooey. It's a total gross out to boot! I think it might be a good candidate for 'the dip' and a repaint at Billy's place, but what can I do now to get that off? I am in an apartment so I am limited. I know this sounds a bit odd, but I feel so sorry for this machine....What to do?
Go Jo would be what I would use, that and a lot of cotton balls to apply it and a roll or two of paper towels to wipe it off. but when your ready to send it I am ready for it!!

Billy
Billy, does GoJo do anything to a finish? Or is this something that should be used only if a repaint is in the near future? Is there any other type cleaner you would suggest to maintain the decals? As I mentioned earlier in a post this Davis has been overheated I would say and all the shiny finish has run off the top part of the machine down to the flat surface and it just looks like it "ran" and dried in little bumbs all around the base of the right side of the machine. I don't want to use something that will take the decals off. Help??
Old 01-13-2011, 05:55 PM

Hi all,
Now to change topics...I need the help and expertise of the members of this group. I bought a Singer 201 from a CL seller , and didn't notice that the thread take up part is broken off ( the part you thread through before the tension that goes up and down as it sews.)I can't use it and it's making me crazy! Any way i need that part, the number on it on my machine is 45261. Does anyone know where I can get this part? I've checked a lot of part sites, as well as ebay. No luck. Or is there a different part that is interchangeable from a different model? One more thing, the serial number is AH371976 which makes it a 201. What is the difference between a 201, a 201-2 etc. Sorry so longwinded! Thanks for your help!
Jane

front of the machine open, with broken thread take up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]159749[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-159744.jpe
Views:	140
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	159749  
Old 01-13-2011, 07:25 PM

I posted here a few days ago about the fw I found at the curb......

It's the finish that makes me sick, she had to be a smoker or used it next to a bonfire, all the brown muck that's on it..and the finish is almost--gooey. ....

What to do?
Today I was reading this article about cleaning old machines:

http://www.grandmotherssewingmachine..._machines.html

She uses something called Kroil and Blue Magic--TR3. I can't seem to find the non-pumice GoJo around here, although I haven't checked at Home Depot yet.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy
I use Goop, the one I got is non-pumice and a ton of cotton balls. I bet most of that gooey/runny stuff will come off. It is probably just gunk from years of neglect. You will have to gob the Goop on, let it sit for 30 minutes and wipe as much as you can off -- several times. I bet you will find a black shinny machine under all the gunk, but it will take time. You have nothing to loose, so you might at well see how clean you can get it -- it certainly won't hurt the machine if you think you will have to get it painted anyway.

Nancy
Old 01-13-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
[Today I was reading this article about cleaning old machines:

http://www.grandmotherssewingmachine..._machines.html

She uses something called Kroil and Blue Magic--TR3. I can't seem to find the non-pumice GoJo around here, although I haven't checked at Home Depot yet.
Ok I read that article, very interesting reading the article and seeing those machines as proof! I am going to have to get some of that Blue Magic TR-3 Resin Glaze. It looks like something that we can find at auto stores?

Nancy