Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-17-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Vintagemotif,
My 201K was originally a hand crank brought over from England, I bought it in 2007. After winding the 1st bobbin, I put it in the Singer straight leg treadle cabinet and have treadled it ever since.
My granddaughters have been using it as a hand crank as they learn to sew. They like the control they have.
I think it is fantastic that your granddaughters are taking an interest in the vintage machines. My son, age 14, only likes to loosen the wheel and then read while treadling. I have asked him if he wishes to learn to sew, make a pillowcase, but all he did was try to run fabric through once to get a feel of the process.

The 201k is still my favorite, and then I think it is my Davis NVF. The shuttle to the Davis doesn't bother me, and the machine is very forgiving to my errors, good workhorse of a machine. My Mr. Two Spools has a quirkiness to him, typical of a cowboy, but he is still fun to sew with. And the 15-90 is great for FM quilting, which I have that machine set up for only that use. Since I have the 201 in the living room (me keeping my husband company while watching tv), the 201 will be used for piecing and sewing clothes. It is fun using different machines for different tasks.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:27 PM

[quote=pgthom][quote=vintagemotif][quote=Crossstitcher]
Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
And he said, "Maybe you can find a treadle for the bathroom too." lol
Well, I've been in upscale hotels that had TV in the bathroom. Why not a sewing machine? You could multi task!!! LOL

There was a discussion recently on this thread of treadles in the bathrooms. I told my husband about that; can't remember what is quick humor was at the time, but I chuckled. I think Billy or someone stated that they were going to post a photo of their treadle in bathroom. I have been in some homes where a couple of treadles could fit in the master bathroom, but not mine.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:17 PM

There was a discussion recently on this thread of treadles in the bathrooms. I told my husband about that; can't remember what is quick humor was at the time, but I chuckled. I think Billy or someone stated that they were going to post a photo of their treadle in bathroom. I have been in some homes where a couple of treadles could fit in the master bathroom, but not mine.[/quote]

Now my Rocketeer might fit on the top of the toilet water tank ! :roll:
Old 02-17-2011, 05:43 PM

BILLY.....there is a parlor cabinet for sale on CL for $100. It looks like it's in really nice shape and the town is close to Boston, in case you are interested. Here is the link:
http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/atq/2220259449.html
Old 02-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
BILLY.....there is a parlor cabinet for sale on CL for $100. It looks like it's in really nice shape and the town is close to Boston, in case you are interested. Here is the link:
Well the machine is really to new for me but I am going to call about it!! Its funny now that I have gotten into the 1870's and 1880's machines the newer 1900+ machines just do not fancy me as much. :roll:

But that is a gorgeous cabinet!!!

Billy
Old 02-17-2011, 07:14 PM

There's a parlour cabinet for sale on Kijiji just out of town for me. $125. Looks like a steal , just not for me (no place to put it)
Teresa
http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ259682994

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Well the machine is really to new for me but I am going to call about it!! Its funny now that I have gotten into the 1870's and 1880's machines the newer 1900+ machines just do not fancy me as much. :roll:

Billy
Old 02-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Banned

I just live in the wrong part of the world!! I need to hang out with you guys!!!! That is a steal and the cabinet is the same as the other one.

Billy

Originally Posted by tjradj
There's a parlour cabinet for sale on Kijiji just out of town for me. $125. Looks like a steal , just not for me (no place to put it)
Teresa
http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ259682994

Billy
Old 02-17-2011, 07:19 PM

I posted this question in a main tread, but I'll ask hear too. I need some advice on how to set the tension on my Singer 201-2. It was working perfect, didn't change anything, and then the tension was too loose on top. The top tread sets on top of the fabric. No matter what setting I set it on, it is still too loose. Any ideas on how I can fit it myself?
Old 02-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KatFish
I need some advice on how to set the tension on my Singer 201-2. It was working perfect, didn't change anything, and then the tension was too loose on top. The top tread sets on top of the fabric. No matter what setting I set it on, it is still too loose. Any ideas on how I can fit it myself?

Is the thread routed the right way? Is the spring keeping the tension on the thread when the take up lever is doing its thing?

Billy
Old 02-17-2011, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by KatFish
I need some advice on how to set the tension on my Singer 201-2. It was working perfect, didn't change anything, and then the tension was too loose on top. The top tread sets on top of the fabric. No matter what setting I set it on, it is still too loose. Any ideas on how I can fit it myself?

Is the thread routed the right way? Is the spring keeping the tension on the thread when the take up lever is doing its thing?

Billy
yes it working fine. Just little or no tension when I sew. The tread just sets on top of the fabric. It's so loose that when I pull it out of the machine to cut the tread, it all pulls out.