Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-21-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Donna Mare
Thanks on this one Nancy! After I picked up this one, I got another one a bit better within a few days and have that one up and running for my ziggin. Grins... with free motion I get my finger nailed and haven't tried it since. I don't dare to free arm, smiles!
Ouch! I haven't nailed my finger yet, but I did cut a chunk out of my 1st finger with a rotary cutter a couple days ago! Ouch!

Nancy
Ouchie! Sorry to hear that!!!
Thank you for the link to the Whites. Looks like my crusty from about 10 days ago might be 1917 or 1918. Needs wicked cleaning but doesn't seem to bad otherwise...time will tell.. The treadle is not in good shape..broken part.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-128353.jpe
Views:	365
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	128358  
Old 02-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
Ouchie! Sorry to hear that!!!
Thank you for the link to the Whites. Looks like my crusty from about 10 days ago might be 1917 or 1918. Needs wicked cleaning but doesn't seem to bad otherwise...time will tell.. The treadle is not in good shape..broken part.

That is a nice machine!!!! And it will clean up really nice!!

Billy
Old 02-21-2011, 06:56 PM

Ok folks. This is the end. I've become hopelessly addicted to the old gals. Since September, I've collected
1. A 1904 Singer 27 treadle
2. A 1950's Morse Apollo that I since re-gifted
3. An ELNA Supramatic "grasshopper" circa 1952
4. A White "Jeans Machine" circa 1970's (as if I needed a backup) I bought it when I dropped my one Janome off for her spa week - it asked me to come home with me.
and now
5. A 1947 Black Beauty - 221 with all her trimmings.
Oh, and I have a 3yr old Janome 6260 and the new Janome Horizon7700.
SSoooooo,
Now, after last week's successful "fix" of a friends 221K, I guess I was feeling a little cocky when I went to visit this gal. She and her sister (a 1952, alone with no case or anything) were together looking for love.
I went with the pretty sister, sorry, just couldn't justify a second one.
So, I oiled her up, took her apart, took all the threads out from around the bobbin, and promptly put the needle in wrong and wondered why it wouldn't line up with the hole. LOL, got out her manual, and turned the needle, and she's happy.
She's not purring yet, but she was really, really dry. So I think after she gets a regular drink over the next few days, I'll hear her for who she really is.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-129495.jpe
Views:	509
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	129500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-129496.jpe
Views:	377
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	129501  
Old 02-21-2011, 07:08 PM
Banned

So what was she asking for the ugly duckling............

Billy
Old 02-21-2011, 07:10 PM

Ugly Betty was fetching $100 Can. The bottom edge was all chipped and corroded looking. The machine ran well but we didn't try it with thread in. I never thought of bringing my own!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Banned

Grrrrrrr Shipping would break the bank and my profit margin for a repaint. I have 3 quilt shops that I supply and they are wanting 25 FW's between all of them for Spring sales. I am lacking a couple but I have a lead on a couple from the local sewing center here.

I usually just buy the part machines and go from there.

Billy
Old 02-21-2011, 07:43 PM

Nice FW. I think they are just fun to look at. Could be a worse addiction than sewing machines. I just didn't know that there was a support group for us. LOL
Originally Posted by tjradj
Ok folks. This is the end. I've become hopelessly addicted to the old gals. Since September, I've collected
1. A 1904 Singer 27 treadle
2. A 1950's Morse Apollo that I since re-gifted
3. An ELNA Supramatic "grasshopper" circa 1952
4. A White "Jeans Machine" circa 1970's (as if I needed a backup) I bought it when I dropped my one Janome off for her spa week - it asked me to come home with me.
and now
5. A 1947 Black Beauty - 221 with all her trimmings.
Oh, and I have a 3yr old Janome 6260 and the new Janome Horizon7700.
SSoooooo,
Now, after last week's successful "fix" of a friends 221K, I guess I was feeling a little cocky when I went to visit this gal. She and her sister (a 1952, alone with no case or anything) were together looking for love.
So, I oiled her up, took her apart, took all the threads out from around the bobbin, and promptly put the needle in wrong and wondered why it wouldn't line up with the hole. LOL, got out her manual, and turned the needle, and she's happy.
She's not purring yet, but she was really, really dry. So I think after she gets a regular drink over the next few days, I'll hear her for who she really is.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:43 PM

[quote=BoJangles][quote=Donna Mare]
Yes White does have a site http://community.webshots.com/user/arachnesobsession once you get here, go to Serial Numbers/Dating List and look your machine up!

Nancy I went in and rubbed really hard on the bos and discovered that the number was wrong. It a 3 intead of an 8 and it was made in 1926. Kathie
Old 02-21-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Nancy I went in and rubbed really hard on the bos and discovered that the number was wrong. It a 3 intead of an 8 and it was made in 1926. Kathie
LOL! I figured something was not right with that number! Congratulations! Kathy, that machine should not need a special needle. A good Schmetz 80 should work just fine, and if it takes the same large round bobbins as my White Rotary, I can give you some of them. I have plenty of bobbins. When you clean that machine remember what Donna Kohler said about not removing the face plate!

Happy cleaning! That old girl will love you for it!

Nancy
Old 02-21-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Love your new little girl!

Nancy