Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you have a sewing machine repair person? >

do you have a sewing machine repair person?

do you have a sewing machine repair person?

Old 03-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

Very interesting subject.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:09 PM

I have a repair man in Phoenix which is 100 miles one way. I have a place to repair and check out my older viking and then another store to fix and check my bernina.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:19 PM

Yes in our city, there are a couple of machine shops that do repairs and sell machines.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:48 PM

yes, the shop where I got my machines. I was going to buy a Husq.var. but the store did not return my calls. I emailed their main office since they had spent so much $$ on the beautiful ad they had sent me. Not a nice response. My Dh after hearing this went out to the Baby Loc store & got me a beautiful machine with great service, they know your name when you go into their store. I buy alot things there I could get for less elsewhere but I want them to be around when I need my machine fixed.
Somtimes we forget that we go to LQS to feel the fabric and see the colors then order online for less. Where will you to see the fabric when local folks are gone because they no longer have a business?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:10 PM

WOW I am so lucky, our LQS/ sales and repair shop is 5 min. away. (I also happen to work there, what a bonus!) Our shop sells Pfaff and Janome, and soon Babylock. We repair all makes and models. The owner also throws on an additional 2 yrs. warrenty on top of the usualy 1 yr. So you can bring your machine in for any warrenty work, plus once a year (for 3 yrs) you can bring your machine in for a yearly service and cleaning. He also does a special favour for seniors, he will pick up their machine for service. He does out of town calls to service whole sewing labs in schools. We have sewers send their machines to the shop by bus, just to get them serviced here!!!!!!!!! There would be a bit of shipping charge to get your machine here from OK. lol Take care, from Auntie B in Sask. Canada
Old 03-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Power Poster

I know the feeling. I haven't found anything my DH cannot repair. All the girls in our quilt guild come to him to service and repair their machines. He once had a machine (Husquvarna) brought to him that the owners ex husband had opened up and applied glue to all the working parts. It took him quite a while but he finally got the machine working again. He only charged $60.00 which the lady thought was a great price. I am so lucky to have him. I would be very frustrated if I didn't have him in many ways.

Originally Posted by SuziC
I have a very handy repairman......my DH! He can fix anything :!:
Old 03-07-2011, 10:46 PM

I have a Baby Lock Quilters Choice, which is about 5 yrs old, but has been used very little, until the last yr. It started having an uneven stitch, so took it in for a checkup. It turned out I was using prefilled bobbin it and it didn't like them. Anyway, it was $129.00 for the cleaning and check. Outrageous. This was at the place I bougt it. B-Sew Inn in Tulsa. Thought this was a little pricy, plus had it for almost 2 weeks. Next time, I will look elsewhere for cleaning and such. Have a Baby Lock Esante, and a Baby Lock Serger also. Have gotten them all at B-Sew Inn and love the store, but just not happy with the repair bit. I also have an old Singer 99K, a Spartan, and just bought a Little Green machine by singer in a cabinet for 15 dollars, can't remember what number 185 maybe. I also have a 401 singer and a Brothers and a White I bought at the thrift store for 5 or 10 dollars each....and a small Janome that I take on trips . I never leave home without a machine and my quilting tools and fabric and a project or two. I also take along a ball of cotton yarn to crochet or knit dishcloths with if I am waiting somewhere, dr. etc. My kids think I am crazy, but that is ok. I would like to be able to set up machines and teach young girls and boys in my neighborhood to sew this summer. It is becoming a lost art since they no longer teach sewing in school. Maybe just a dream, but was a 4h leader and girlscout leader when my kids were young and enjoyed it.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:48 PM

I have a Baby Lock Quilters Choice, which is about 5 yrs old, but has been used very little, until the last yr. It started having an uneven stitch, so took it in for a checkup. It turned out I was using prefilled bobbin it and it didn't like them. Anyway, it was $129.00 for the cleaning and check. Outrageous. This was at the place I bougt it. B-Sew Inn in Tulsa. Thought this was a little pricy, plus had it for almost 2 weeks. Next time, I will look elsewhere for cleaning and such. Have a Baby Lock Esante, and a Baby Lock Serger also. Have gotten them all at B-Sew Inn and love the store, but just not happy with the repair bit.

I also have an old Singer 99K, a Spartan, and just bought a Little Green machine by singer in a cabinet for 15 dollars, can't remember what number 185 maybe. I also have a 401 singer and a Brothers and a White I bought at the thrift store for 5 or 10 dollars each....and a small Janome that I take on trips . I never leave home without a machine and my quilting tools and fabric and a project or two. I also take along a ball of cotton yarn to crochet or knit dishcloths with if I am waiting somewhere, dr. etc. My kids think I am crazy, but that is ok. I would like to be able to set up machines and teach young girls and boys in my neighborhood to sew this summer. It is becoming a lost art since they no longer teach sewing in school. Maybe just a dream, but was a 4h leader and girlscout leader when my kids were young and enjoyed it.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:17 AM

I have my very own personal sewing machine repair person: my DH!!! He used to repair sewing machines for a couple of different LQS in the area until he got leukemia. He is just too tired to be out there doing all that work... Now he limits the repairs to my machines. He does a wonderful job--I never have to worry about cleaning or tune ups, because he is right here taking care of that! His oncologist said that his type of leukemia is a cancer of years, not months, so I just pray that I get to keep him around for a long time...
Old 03-08-2011, 05:28 AM

We have a local repairman who grew up in the business. His father started back in the 60's. He has a Jenome dealership but knows how to work on all kinds of machines including the new computer ones. He's great on the antques because that was his father's hobby.

Took my Bernina back to the dealer-repairman one time because it was still under warranty. BIG MISTAKE!